U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM

8,471 posts, read 10,976,119 times

Advertisements

Excess of limit is up to the individual officer's discretion. In some cases being 5Km over the limit is seriously dangerous, in others, you could be 30 over and be fine. Just remember you can also get tagged for speeding while being under the limit if road conditions dictate that the current speed limit is unsafe.

Move with the flow of traffic. Single best advice I can give. If you're in the middle of the bald ass prairie, stay within about 10% of the limit and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,169,911 times
I am less concern about high speed than the distance between cars. For some reason, many drivers seem to love to be close to the car immediately in front of them, which is extremely dangerous in case something suddenly happens.

I usually try to keep a safe distance (a rule of thumb is give yourself 3-4 seconds of distance given your current speed), but what's frustrating is that idiots see this as an opportunity to change lane and cut in (when not necessary).

It is a lot safer to be driving at 130kmph 120 meters behind the car in front of you than at 90kmph only 20 meters behind.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM

196 posts, read 340,019 times
I've always used the 10% rule as my speed cap. Not over 66 in a 60 zone, 110 in a 100 zone, etc.

Speaking with the daughter of an ex RCMP officer, she explained this is always safe. She also let me know that most police will allow you up to 15kph above the posted limit (excepting school zones, construction zones, etc - why would you speed through these anyways???), but depending on the day, you could get pulled over.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 116 times
I live in Maryland and they change the speed limit on interstate 70 from 65 to 70 and I can tell you from driving that road almost every day that people won't even go 70. I always do 10 over because most cops limit is 11 over and this tactic has never failed me I don't even slow down when I passed the cops because when you slow down you look guilty. So do 10 over and you should be fine and if not then contest it in court and if it isn't dismissed right away ask the judge if he had ever gone over the speed limit. I got off twice asking that question but I was 15 over on one and 22 over the next but I was a firefighter running to the station in that one and they let me go and I think it had in large part the fact that I missed the call they got out driver only and the second engine in 10 min to get out and a life was lost. Had a made that call I would have went in and at least tried like hell to save them. In the u.s in all states first responders should have lights and sirens on there car because we haul ass to the station especially when it's a fire with entrapment. I'm not understanding their salt especially here in Maryland they will not let us have lights not even Chief officers Chief officers used to be able to have them but they took them away and said no. what kind of rice on a rationalization can you make of the fact that all first responders don't live at their respective stations so there doing 30 40 over to get to the station to get the engine out so it can go 30 over because we don't go 10 over like e.v.o.c tells us we get the **** there and do our jobs. I know I went off topic a little bit but it's many people that see this post I know it's a super old posts but if you happen to see this and I agree the fact that first responders need lights and sirens so we can warn people that we are flying to the station it would make a ton more sense especially since almost every firefighter I know in my station has emergency vehicle operator course and we're doing it with a fire trucks the police do it in police cars I'm pretty goddamn sure if I can freaking switch Lane in 2 seconds in a freaking ambulance I can do it in the car. Sorry a little ranting.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:58 AM

5,724 posts, read 2,237,595 times
Driving west on the Trans Canada out of Medicine Hat much of the traffic is doing 130 in a 110 zone and it seems that you have to go above that to be stopped. It's a divided highway however much of the time you can keep a 1000m distance between yourself and the car ahead of you. There is one hill the police can hide behind but mostly it is them cruising and looking for drivers exceeding the limit. I think as one gets closer to real traffic, like near Calgary there is less leeway.

On the less used highways you might be stopped going 10k over the limit. This might be a way to combat the boredom of patrolling empty highways. A bigger threat to safety are the tractors and combines going slow.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:08 PM

2,862 posts, read 4,026,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
In most of the US on the major highways you can usually go up to about 10 MPH (or roughly 15 KPH)over the speed limit without getting a speeding ticket.
What is the leeway on major Canadian highways?
"Canadian Highway Patrol"???

Really?? You do know it is a foreign country?? That highway patrol thing is pretty much a California and states thing.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 PM
BMI

7,244 posts, read 4,413,414 times
Well, it has recently been in the news that the Ontario Provincial government
is considering increasing the speed limit on 400 series highways to 120 km/h.

I personally think itís about time.

To answer the OPís question....the Highway Patrol (The OPP) turn a blind eye usually until
youíre well over the limit...over about 125 km/h (or about close to 80 mph).

Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,441,308 times
It's 15km/h.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or