U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM

410 posts, read 515,857 times

Advertisements

The death penalty and assisted suicide as means of dying are polar opposites - how could anyone possibly see it otherwise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 PM

18,267 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
To me, it seems like a giant step backwards going from ending the death penalty to allowing this. Let's hope that this doesn't spread to the rest of the country.
Let's sincerely hope it does!

I am at an age that I have watched far too many of my relatives and friends die terrible and prolonged painful deaths and if you truely care for your fellow man you'd support the idea of giving each the right to make a timely choice in the matter.

This is not a subject to be clouded with any religious mumbo-jumbo or strict legal imperatives based upon logic rather than compassion.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:24 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

1,473 posts, read 1,963,351 times
Stop trying to suggest that I want people to suffer. What kind of a sick person are you suggesting I am? One can easily argue against euthanasia from a strictly secular standpoint. I'm not saying any of you are wrong, you're entitled to your opinions.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Stop trying to suggest that I want people to suffer. What kind of a sick person are you suggesting I am? One can easily argue against euthanasia from a strictly secular standpoint. I'm not saying any of you are wrong, you're entitled to your opinions.
I know it's not black and white and I don't think you're some cruel or irrational person. I'm sure you have very good reasons for your beliefs, and ethics isn't like science, sometimes this stuff can be ambiguous and there might not be a good way to decide on one thing over another in a moral dilemma. I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for believing as you do, and I'm still in a place where I'm trying to decide what's right when it comes to this issue. I invite you to please tell us why you feel as you do. Sandman's stuff certainly was food for thought.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 6,575,780 times
Quote:

Okay. What are your objections to mercy euthanasia from a secular point of view?

Actually, I don't care if someone objects from a secular or non-secular point of view but if somebody starts a topic saying they object to a certain thing I think it's only right to also explain the reasons for their objections. Otherwise what was the point of starting the topic?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM

18,267 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Well your post did not say anything about mitigating circumstances, it simply said "NO WAY JOSE"!

The predominant objections to assisted suicide laws usually come from the religious camps with the black and white legal-beagle crew not far behind.

In places where this facility exists, we do not see a plethora of cases where either the state or immediate families are taking advantage to lighten their cost burdens. In point of fact, these laws seem to be working out just fine for all concerned.

It would seem, given your second post, that you at least are willing to consider the option for proven unwarranted prolonging of suffering cases.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,932,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Countries where assisted suicide is legal tend to have poor palliative care services. Many that work in the medical profession say that what is NEEDED is better palliative care and NOT assisted suicide.

(...)

If such a law is passed, how do you protect the elderly, disabled, and mentally incompetent? Some would argue that such laws reinforce the idea that lives of the sick and disabled are not worth living.
In fact, most disability advocate groups (at least in the US) are against assisted suicide ....
Since you've read on this subject -- can you point me to some studies regarding the first part of the quote? You know, correlation isn't causation, etc. I'm genuinely interested in that type of studies.

Regarding the second point -- the process of writing and guiding the implementation of 'assisted suicide' laws has been extremely long and careful, and the main point is that if there is any kind of doubt that the person understands the implications and still wants to die, it will not happen. Or am I wrong?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Since you've read on this subject -- can you point me to some studies regarding the first part of the quote? You know, correlation isn't causation, etc. I'm genuinely interested in that type of studies.
Hendin, Herbert, M.D.1996. "Suicide, Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia: Lessons From the Dutch Experience.," Testimony. U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary, Oversight Hearing, April 29.

Sulmasy, Daniel P., M.D.; Benjamin P. Linas, B.A.; Karen F. Gold, Ph.D., and Kevin A. Schulman, M.D. 1998. "Physician Resource Use and Willingness to Participate in Assisted Suicide," Archives of Internal Medicine, Vol. 158 (May 11).

Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,010,983 times
Quote:
To me, it seems like a giant step backwards going from ending the death penalty to allowing this. Let's hope that this doesn't spread to the rest of the country.
Let's hope it does. It's about time. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be legal in Quebec soon. I believe it's something like 80% in favour of assisted suicide.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

1,473 posts, read 1,963,351 times
I'm opposed to all things that cause death. Death penalty, war, euthanasia and everything else. There is no greater good when it comes to death. You can't recover from death. That's how I see things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada