Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times

Advertisements

Revelations that Canada may have spied on Brazil's Mines and Energy Ministry have shocked many and raised questions about Canada' espionage activities. An intelligence expert said that Canada is targeting countries that are targeting us. I am not sure what that even means. Which countries are we spying on? Are we spying on Canadian citizens as well?

The CSES has suddenly come into light.

From the Globe and Mail:
WHAT IS CSEC?
Communications Security Establishment Canada is commonly known as this country’s electronic eavesdropping agency.
It has a $350-million budget and about 2,000 employees. By law, it has three mandates: to gather foreign intelligence, to safeguard Canadian government communications and computers from foreign hackers and to help other federal security agencies where legally possible.

CSES is a standalone agency with a lot of independent powers and a significant budget. It has been growing rapidly since the past 5-10 years and is about to get a $1-billion headquarters in Ottawa!

What are peoples thoughts on CSES and espionage? Is it a good thing that Canada is protecting it's foreign interests or does this go against Canadian values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
This makes me sick. I'm ashamed that our government has been doing this. Canada is supposed to set an example for the rest of the world. How un-Canadian!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
All living things spy on everybody else to ensure their survival. Spying and espionage is as old as the beginning of mankind.

Canada isn't some little goody-two-shoes country minding it's own business quaking under the covers so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that Canada has intelligence agencies spying on other countries and industries.

I don't have a problem with it.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Its 2013, with all the new and advanced technology you need an agency like CSEC

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
As a Canadian, I believe that CSEC should be protecting Canada against foreign espionage, not doing it themselves. Spending 1 billion taxpayer dollars on a fancy new headquarters... And then we find out that they've been doing this... Unbelieveable. Remember how upset we were about Huawei? Shouldn't that have been a sign that we shouldn't be pulling this !@#$ as a country?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
As a Canadian, I believe that CSEC should be protecting Canada against foreign espionage, not doing it themselves. Spending 1 billion taxpayer dollars on a fancy new headquarters... And then we find out that they've been doing this... Unbelieveable. Remember how upset we were about Huawei? Shouldn't that have been a sign that we shouldn't be pulling this !@#$ as a country?

How are they supposed to do that without gathering information from foriegn countries?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
true.

it is ironic that many think it is completely OK for Canada to spy on others as if it is normal practice, while turning all angry in finding other countries spying on us.
typical western double standard. It is like the US tell this and that country to destroy mass destruction weapons while keeping the largest amount by far in its own hands

by the way, there is no evidence showing Huawei spying on Canada. We banned it only because Washington did. China couldn't care less about Canada.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
All living things spy on everybody else to ensure their survival. Spying and espionage is as old as the beginning of mankind.

Canada isn't some little goody-two-shoes country minding it's own business quaking under the covers so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that Canada has intelligence agencies spying on other countries and industries.

I don't have a problem with it.

i hope you won't have a problem when you find we are spied on either. will you?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Canadian espionage...lol. The true world players in intelligence have Canada completely compromised. Our own MPs are so naive they don't even see "alleged" Chinese spies right under their noses (the alleged spy in that case, by the way, now studies at Harvard's Kennedy School of Gov't).

Hell, we even got Lockheed-Martin, a US-based defense contractor, to write our census processing software (guess no one in Canada was available). But this was just a smart way to pass them all of our information. I'm sure they didn't poach any of that data or code any backdoors...

Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
i hope you won't have a problem when you find we are spied on either. will you?
I don't have a problem with it. I've already known all my life that Canada is being spied on by other countries and fully expect Canada to do likewise. Why should I worry about it? If Canada is such an open book and supposed to be setting a good example to the rest of the world (like PDW says we should be) then what does Canada have to hide?

I'm absolutely stunned that there are complacent people expressing surprise and outrage to discover that Canada is spying and being spied upon. Like really, where have all these naive people been all their lives? Living in the fantasy world of movies and internet and ignoring real world politics and history? Sheesh!

Wake up people! The real world is and always has been a dog eat dog world full of spies, intrigue, espionage, war and underhanded politics and Canada is a participant in the real world and no holier or more pious than any other country.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada