U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 AM

4 posts, read 22,294 times
Default Student to Permanent Resident: Possible?

Hi all,
I'm a current college sophomore in the States, majoring in social work. I'm considering getting my MSW at a Canadian University (that is, if they admit me!) and then staying to work in Canada away from the larger metropolian areas (so I'm not one of those foreigns looking to clog up the GTA!). I know about the post-grad work program through reading the CIC webpage, but my question is how difficult is it in reality to go from being a foreign student to a permanent resident?

Also, if anyone knows, how's the job market for social workers in Canada?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

42 posts, read 133,240 times
I really don't know the answer to your questions, but this website might help:

Settlement.Org: How do I apply for Canadian Citizenship?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM

21 posts, read 87,821 times
Once you have studied here you can get a visa to work for up to one year after. During that time you could possibly apply for PR as a skilled worker. Social Work - depending on the area is in high demand check workopolis dot com and or eluta dot ca.
If you are willing to work in the more northern areas - better for you.
best of luck

Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM

645 posts, read 1,661,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttrini View Post
Once you have studied here you can get a visa to work for up to one year after.
I don't get it, can you apply for a work permit during this time and stay longer than a year?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM

215 posts, read 1,101,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_dreamer View Post
Also, if anyone knows, how's the job market for social workers in Canada?
as a country of bleeding-heart liberals, there is naturally a constant demand for social workers

Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM

21 posts, read 87,821 times
Eligibility to apply for work permit from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:
  • you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
  • you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
  • you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.
You must also have the following documents:
  • a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
  • written confirmation from HRSDC that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
    • In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
    • In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion.
You must also do the following:
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Have a medical exam or criminal check done in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of the page.)
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)
Note: if you are a temporary foreign worker in Canada who has a work permit under the Low Skill Pilot Project, and you want to extend your stay, see below
Working temporarily in Canada

Frankly we have done this for quite a few people where I work and unless you are a nanny or low skilled employee ( high school diploma qualified ) which are different programs sponsored by the Canadian government or you are a super qualified engineer with many years experience that no one else has I have only seen work permits given for one year and renewed for one year after that.

Your best bet is to apply for the work permit in your last semester as a student and then apply for the PR after you have six months Canadian work experience under your belt . Together with your advanced degree it will count as enough work experience, any less and you wont qualify to try for a PR by yourself without some kind of family sponsorship etc.
Hope this helps .
PM if you need more details.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,218 times
hi,
Can i apply for permanent residency after 1 year study and then 1 year work permit in canada?pls rly soon....

Old 06-26-2009, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 14,218 times
can any one suggest shall i opt for one year or two year course in canada?
as i want to settle permanently in canada..

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM

3,062 posts, read 3,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
as a country of bleeding-heart liberals, there is naturally a constant demand for social workers
roflmao

Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,401 times
Hi everyone.. i currently live in Africa and im planning to study bachelors of commerce in toronto .. i just wanted to know can i get permanent residenship if i study there for this period of 3-4 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada