Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM

250 posts, read 642,867 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB3sg...20EFE83B8A3CA7

We took their guns every time they came.....and the stupid Yanks didn't even think to shoot us first.

...I know this is a little late historically, but I love the "Part of our Heritage" shorts....especially the dignified way the present our neighbours from our 11th province in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
The war of 1812 was a costly attempt on both sides to grab territory. The US thought a land grab in Canada would be " a mere matter of marching" and the British thought they could take back the western great lakes. Both sides gained and lost territory and in the end the wars Treaty of Gehnt returned borders to the pre-war borders, since it was basically a stalemate. Blood and treasure were expended for nothing, that war is the biggest waste of any war fought in North America. The lesson of that war was remembered, and in the end no more serious attempts to annex parts of Canada ever occurred again.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The war of 1812 was a costly attempt on both sides to grab territory. The US thought a land grab in Canada would be " a mere matter of marching" and the British thought they could take back the western great lakes. Both sides gained and lost territory and in the end the wars Treaty of Gehnt returned borders to the pre-war borders, since it was basically a stalemate. Blood and treasure were expended for nothing, that war is the biggest waste of any war fought in North America. The lesson of that war was remembered, and in the end no more serious attempts to annex parts of Canada ever occurred again.
I don't know if you could call them attempts at annexation but I don't think the lesson was learned immediately. There were still several hostile incursions and attempts at invasion for decades after 1812. The following is just one example - (cross posted from another topic that came up this week):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post31786216

Quote:

American brigandage, harrassment and invasion of Canada continued for decades well past 1812. For example, the following is some quotes based on letters written in 1838 in Glengarry, Canada when Canada was again being invaded by Americans at that time. Maybe most Americans today have forgotten or were never taught about these kinds of things, but Canada doesn't forget how often it was necessary to repel such invasions and attacks.

Quote:
Quote:
Sketches Illustrating the Early Settlement and History of Glengarry in Canada

<snip>
Beavharnois, November 14, 1838.
Sir,—Despatches having been received from Colonel Turner, commanding at Cornwall, reporting that Upper Canada has been invaded by a lawless band of brigands from the United States, who have landed near Johnstown between five and eight hundred men, with eight pieces of cannon, His Excellency the Commander of the Forces has therefore directed that your Regiment of brave Glengarry Highlanders shall be immediately relieved from duty in this Province, and proceed forthwith to Lancaster, where they will receive further orders from Colonel Turner.

In communicating to you the above orders, I am directed to convey to the Regiment under your command the warmest thanks of the Commander of the Forces for their zeal and alacrity in turning out from their homes at such short notice at this inclement season of the year, and for the patience and perseverance with which they have performed the very important duty required of them, and I am further directed to request that you will be pleased to impress both upon the officers and men the absolute necessity of their keeping together on their return to Upper Canada, and to desire most positively that no man will think of leaving his regiment under any pretence whatever until you receive authority from His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor ot Upper Canada to dismiss them............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

....... Early in the same month (November 1838) unusual numbers of strangers were congregated about Syracuse, Oswego, Sackett's Harbor and Watertown, and large quantities of arms and warlike stores were concealed about these towns. Great activity was displayed among the Hunter's Lodges, which counted among their office holders members of the American Congress, generals in their army, Governors of States and Other leading citizens, the "Brother Jonathan" newspapers alleging that sixty thousand members were sworn to relieve the continent from "the absurdities of monarchy," and towards which philanthropic scheme large sums of money had been collected. Floating rumours had been in circulation for several days that an attack might be expected in the vicinity of Prescott, and on the night of Sunday, the 11th November, information was received that a large number of armed men had embarked on the steamer "United States," and two schooners were rapidly approaching the town. ........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

............ Within half an hour after the cannonade commenced, a white flag was seen to wave from the top of the tower, but it waved in Vain, and was at last nailed to the outside of it. The exasperated British continued to pour in deadly volleys upon them, and every building in the vicinity of the mill was set fire to, in order to concentrate their attack upon the enemy's main fortress. "The flames raging in the gloom of the night, showed at a great distance the position of the combatants, and, shedding a lurid light upon all around, had an effect at once awful and sublime." At length the firing ceased, when the severely chastised rebels marched out, and surrendered at discretion. Von Schoultz, and many others, were found concealed among the bushes, and dragged from their hiding places. The number of prisoners who surrendered was one hundred and ten, besides those who had been taken during the siege. In the mill were found several hundred kegs of powder, a large quantity of cartridges, pistols and swords, and two hundred stand of arms, most of which were of costly and very superior workmanship; many of the swords and dirks were silver mounted, and their handles ornamented with elaborate carving. A flag, composed of the finest texture, valued at $100, was also taken, on which was exhibited a full spread eagle, beautifully executed, surmounted by one star, and beneath were the words wrought in silk, "Liberated by the Onondaga Hunters." The total loss of the rebels in killed and wounded was never accurately ascertained, as numbers of them were taken across the river; not less than forty, however, are known to have been killed, among these was a young officer, a son of General Brown, and two other officers, in the pocket of one of them was found a list of proscubed persons in Prescott, who were to have suffered death. The official return of the British loss was two officers, eleven rank and file killed, of whom four were of the loyal Glengarry Highlanders, four officers and sixty-three men wounded. The officers killed were........

Old 10-14-2013, 04:31 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh my; take heart our friend, one day sanity will return and reign supreme. Our respective countries are going through a period of trying to adapt to understanding things aren't always as rosy as we've been led to believe.
May I live to see it.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Surrounded by what?
By people who look at other countries and think 'why didn't we just take it away from its owners?' By a military adventurist mentality that keeps getting us into wars that never need be. By ridiculousness that embarrasses me.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know if you could call them attempts at annexation but I don't think the lesson was learned immediately. There were still several hostile incursions and attempts at invasion for decades after 1812. The following is just one example - (cross posted from another topic that came up this week):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post31786216

Yes groups of citizens did at times violate the British border, attempt to start rebellions. (1837,38 ) right??? I am aware of that, but I'm more talking about a US government backed attempt to actually annex large parts of Canada. I know this is a touchy topic in Canada, I know what is taught in Canadian schools, and what is taught in US schools. Its funny that both in the US and Canada it is taught that the war of 1812 was a victory, when neither side could claim it. Also I think Canadians mistake the conflicts that involved Canadian land as aggression toward our northern neighbor, when from the US point of view it was always a conflict with the British. In fact our founding fathers and early Americans wished for those who lived in Canada to join the US in North American freedom. Canadian residents were more or less seen as people living under British oppression, not as enemies. We may have been mistaken about whether you wanted to be free from the British, but we did not hold a hostile view of Canadians. It was the British we had a beef with. When Canada gained independence never has any aggression been contemplated toward you. Nor do we hold any lingering ill will toward the British either. Our problems with them were similar to an adolescent who is rebelling, they are in fact our cousins , their values are the foundation the US is built on, just as their values are the foundation of Canada. The very last possibility of war on the northern border was during our civil war when Britain considered allying with the confederacy. During the civil war confederates actually used Canada as a base to conduct spying and even a raid into New England. This was the last time any trouble lingered at the US Canadian border. Baring a foreign incursion into Canada that threatens the US (the Soviets thought they could do this), I cannot see any possibility of looking north with hostile intent. We generally have a positive view of Canada and see Canadians as being very similar to us. We also like your beer.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
By people who look at other countries and think 'why didn't we just take it away from its owners?' By a military adventurist mentality that keeps getting us into wars that never need be. By ridiculousness that embarrasses me.
not really.

Country boundaries always change. You can't blame country A for "taking" from country B, because this is how the world and the country politics involve.

The US took significant land from other countries such as France, Mexico, Russia among others. You can't really determine which land belongs to whom.

Military wars that never need to be? Sweet. If there were no such adventures, North America wouldn't be English/French speaking and South America wouldn't be Spanish/Portugese speaking, right? Who is to say the land that is Canada belongs to you guys to start with?

There will always be wars and countries will always take land from others. Because we are human, not saints like you are.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There will always be wars and countries will always take land from others. Because we are human, not saints like you are.
Be that as it may not--in that I'm not a saint and don't purport to be--I still think it's ridiculous for us to be looking back and asking why we didn't get more serious about invading Canada. Mock me, if you wish, for considering it so.

Oh, and since those days, we've had a couple of global wars where at least a sustained effort was made to say 'this just invading and taking stuff, this is uncool,' in the postwar process. Did it succeed? Clearly not. Did it give some relevance to the principle? I think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada