U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,700,365 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't remember Harper and the Conservatives running on a platform to implement a free trade deal with the European Union. If they did, it sure wasn't mentioned too loudly.
Any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 PM

7,235 posts, read 6,581,911 times
I don't think the conservatives or any other party ran on a platform to implement a free trade deal with the European Union but I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a great idea.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,700,365 times
I have a problem when governments try to impose something on us that has not been voted on. I don't care if it's a policy of providing fresh daisies to war widows.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I have a problem when governments try to impose something on us that has not been voted on. I don't care if it's a policy of providing fresh daisies to war widows.

Each to their own way of thinking. If your way was the way of things I guess you'd have to be getting involved in government and voting on something pretty much every day instead of letting governments do the jobs the people elected them to do. What else do you think governments are there for if not to make important governing decisions on behalf of the nation without having to be constantly having elections or consulting about things with the citizens that elected them to govern the country and do the decision making?

So, whether you voted for it or not, what's your objection to a free trade deal with the European Union? Are you unhappy about it only because you weren't consulted about it first nor asked to vote on it?

I'm not unhappy with our government and by comparison with the governments of several other countries I think Canada's government is doing a successful enough job and has gained a lot of international respect. I pay taxes to support my government and I vote in elections so that I will have a government doing the job of making decisions, governing the country and representing me democratically and properly so that I don't have to do the job. If they don't do a good enough job then next election I vote for somebody else. That's the way it goes.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Totally agree with Zoisite.

If the government needs as many number of years on any policy as it takes for Toronto to make a decision on a subway plan, the country can't go anywhere. Democracy doesn't mean constant debate and multiple vote on every single item.

I am very happy with what the federal government has been doing in the past few years. This agreement is another reason I will keep voting for it next time. Anything against this agreement must be selfishly defending their own protected personal tiny interest rather than the country's future. I don't care if the dairy farmers lose - they are being protected enough at the cost of all consumers for years.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Uuuh what you're talking about is running the country like a Union meeting where once a month the membership assembles to have "past items" dealt with then moves onto "new business".

You going to try to run a country like that? Seriously?

All other countries are negotiating free trade and preferential status agreements as we're discussing this. The financial maneuvering to maintain and stimulate growth has to be ongoing or you get left behind. Surely this is readily apparent to every person with any awareness now.

We've been attacked by an economic tsunami from across the pond and to respond effectively we need to get organized yesterday, but we'll wait for the next election to see which party will formulate the best plan; yep, that oughtta work out just fine.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 AM

12,685 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Each to their own way of thinking. If your way was the way of things I guess you'd have to be getting involved in government and voting on something pretty much every day instead of letting governments do the jobs the people elected them to do. What else do you think governments are there for if not to make important governing decisions on behalf of the nation without having to be constantly having elections or consulting about things with the citizens that elected them to govern the country and do the decision making?

So, whether you voted for it or not, what's your objection to a free trade deal with the European Union? Are you unhappy about it only because you weren't consulted about it first nor asked to vote on it?

I'm not unhappy with our government and by comparison with the governments of several other countries I think Canada's government is doing a successful enough job and has gained a lot of international respect. I pay taxes to support my government and I vote in elections so that I will have a government doing the job of making decisions, governing the country and representing me democratically and properly so that I don't have to do the job. If they don't do a good enough job then next election I vote for somebody else. That's the way it goes.

Harper Watch | Compiling the Harper Government's Assault on Democracy

Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
I think it is a great Idea, I hope the agreement is implemented quickly.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
I probably won't vote for the Conservatives, but I'm in favour of this deal and think they did a good job on this one (^_^)d. It was a mixed bag, but on the whole I think they negociated us a fair deal.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,159,648 times
This isn't going to further dismantle my city like NAFTA did, will it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or