U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM

297 posts, read 391,002 times

Advertisements

Topic sort of says it all but I will explain

I am an American who wishes to study in Canada but what to know the ups and downs?

I would also like to know a few schools in Canada. Already heard of UBC and UAlberta but Seeing I am an East Coaaster, I am thinking McGill or UoO.

My GPA is mostly A's/B's. I have not taken the SAT yet but I heard that most Canadian Universities don't look at your SAT scores anyway.

Last edited by ishabad; 10-24-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM

489 posts, read 1,051,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Topic sort of says it all but I will explain

I am an American who wishes to study in Canada but what to know the ups and downs?

I would also like to know a few schools in Canada. Already heard of UBC and UAlberta but Seeing I am an East Coaaster, I am thinking McGill or UoO.

My GPA is mostly A's/B's. I have not taken the SAT yet but I heard that most Canadian Universities don't look at your SAT scores anyway.

Canadian Universities don't require SAT score for students that attended high school in Canada (we don't do SATs here), but if you studied outside of Canada, many require it.

For example McGill

U.S. high school applicants must provide strong standardized test scores in addition to their high school record. Either the SAT I plus two appropriate SAT II subject tests or the ACT can be provided. Please see below for minimum test score requirements.

Admission standards (US) | Applying to Undergraduate Studies - McGill University

Old 10-24-2013, 03:56 PM

320 posts, read 401,910 times
First, read the information on this web site:

Study in Canada | Education Opportunities | Education in Canada

I wonder if you could be more specific about what you're interested in: particular programs? location? Entrance requirements?

Obviously, your first step is to research the universities that suit your needs. Individual programs will have different entrance requirements, and some programs are more competitive than others. Once you've narrowed down your choices, check out the university's requirements and fees for International Students. As an American you will need to get a student permit but not a residency visa.

Maritimes: Dalhousie (I'll let other posters help you with this area..)

Quebec (english): McGill and Concordia in Montreal (as I recall McGill had quite a few Americans)

Ontario: Carelton, U of Ottawa, Queens University, York University, University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario (London) --those are the biggies, but there are others like Guelph, University of Windsor and more...

Manitoba and Saskatchewan -- (I don't know much about the schools here, sorry)

Alberta: University of Alberta is the huge, flagship school, leans towards science, STEMs, professional schools (undergrad programs in nursing and pharmacy, for instance) but also has Agriculture and Forestry faculties; and a very large Faculty of Arts program, a well-regarded business school etc; University of Calgary is good but not as extensive; University of Lethbridge- is fine, but is one large structure built into the side of a coulee, giving you the sense of going to school underground (not pleasant during the winter months); and there's more

British Columbia: UBC (huge and extensive), Simon Fraser University, and University of Victoria are the main ones (many more; again other posters can give you better info).

Hope that helps you get started...

Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM

so McGill could be comparable to a American Ivy? Sort of like a Canadian Ivy( I know their is no such thing?

Also yeah thanks for the schools. I will look into them. I was looking into political science for BA and law for Masters. Also I think I would stay with the East Coast, closer to my real home in New York.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,278,774 times
McGill is a top school, yes, but you need to be fluently bilingual for the law program and you will be at a serious disadvantage with PoliSci when it comes to any work experience during undergrad. You might want to consider University of Toronto or other English universities.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Well I am currently taking French. I should have mentioned that lol. I am also thinking Uni of Ottawa and Toronto.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 PM

320 posts, read 401,910 times
This may also prove useful:

Rankings – - Maclean's On Campus

I would take the rankings with a grain of salt, but the information might help you weigh your options better.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks

Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Well I am currently taking French. I should have mentioned that lol. I am also thinking Uni of Ottawa and Toronto.
What subjects are you interested in?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,278,774 times
If learning French is important to you then by all means head to McGill for your undergrad - as for law school, that would really depend on your grades and level of fluency achieved, as McGill's law program is tough to get into. I would also consider how learning law here in Quebec will affect your employment outcomes in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or