Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 01:46 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,343,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Canadians say "Tire" instead of "tyre"
Canadians say "trunk" instead of "boot"
Canadians say "truck" instead of "lorry"
"gas" instead of "petrol"...
a "yard" vs a "garden"

All American words.
Aussies don't use "lorry" either, while a "garden" is something you might have in your "yard". Similarly, we don't drive "estates" or "saloons" like the Brits, we have stop signs at "intersections", and we don't eat "courgettes" (British), and we have "roosters".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Okay I see what you mean. My bad, I thought that was some American slang or something. What I meant though was adding the "ou" in words and for example spelling "Centre" instead of center. I was talking about that. Then I guess Canadian spelling is a mixture of British and American spelling, but I don't think it is "more" American though.
Yep, spelling differences between Canada and Australia are pretty limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Australian spelling and vocabulary are much more closely aligned with British spelling. They have a few Americanisms that the British don't use but they're much closer to the UK norm than Canada is.
There are actually a lot of differences between Australian and UK English, including many where Australia departs from shared UK/US usage. A few examples: "capsicum" instead of "pepper", "doona" instead of "duvet" or "quilt", "chook" for chicken, "boot/shoe maker" rather than "cobbler", pronunciation of words like "project", "garage" and “data”, and of course Brits, Americans and Canadians are always amused by Aussies wearing "thongs" on their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 01:51 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post

There are actually a lot of differences between Australian and UK English, including many where Australia departs from shared UK/US usage. A few examples: "capsicum" instead of "pepper", "doona" instead of "duvet" or "quilt", "chook" for chicken, "boot/shoe maker" rather than "cobbler", pronunciation of words like "project", "garage" and “data”, and of course Brits, Americans and Canadians are always amused by Aussies wearing "thongs" on their feet.

Of course. Still much closer to UK English than Canadian English is.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
Of course. Still much closer to UK English than Canadian English is.
Such as?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Such as?
That's like asking for proof that it snows more in Canada in the winter than in Australia. C'mon now.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You know Tim Horton's and poutine are available in the U.S. as well right? I can share with you several restaurants in Pittsburgh you can buy a poutine..... Do many Canadians even watch those Canadian made TV shows and movies not including news or sports? From my experience with the Canadians I know, no they don't too much. Also, Canada is more aligned with U.S. capitalism that than Europe's economic model. Metric separates the U.S. from almost everywhere else so I don't even include that for this sense and Canada still uses its share of imperial measurements in daily life too which is different from Australia which uses metric almost exclusively.
Viewing things from a Canadian only vantage point it's easy to pinpoint the little things that are different between Canada and the U.S. and blow them out of proportion. Not that the two countries aren't different - they are. To a point.

But when you travel abroad and visit other foreign countries it becomes very obvious how Canada and the U.S. are similar and how Canada piggy-backs very heavily on the U.S. for so much stuff, that in other countries would be specific to the country (as opposed to imported or "shared").

There are parts of Canada where society, culture, etc. seem to have more of a home-grown flavour, like Quebec and Newfoundland.

Ironically, that unique flavour is not always seen as Canadian but rather "Québécois" and "Newfoundland".

Last edited by Acajack; 03-14-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 PM

306 posts, read 336,300 times
I live in Wisconsin, and I feel like I have more in common with Canadians (at least the ones from the prairie states and territories) than people from the Southern US.

I feel like I'm more alike with Canadians than Australians, but that could just be because we can converse more about winter and all that it entails.

Last edited by No Happy; 03-14-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 02:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
In the minds of a lot of Canadians (not saying this is what I think of Americans BTW) the U.S. is like the boorish brother that they're a bit ashamed of, but what can you do, you are still part of the same family. Whereas countries like the UK and Australia apparently serve as more palatable comparables for them. Kind of like the cool third cousin that you secretly want to be like.

Sort of like how people in Luxembourg *like* to think they are more like the French, when in actual fact they really are more like the Germans (but don't like to admit it because of the global stigma related to WW1 and WW2)...
I agree with this but how does our superiority complex tie in with the inferiority complex we're accused of having?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree with this but how does our superiority complex tie in with the inferiority complex we're accused of having?
Well, that's easy, how would it look if we were accused of being superior?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, that's easy, how would it look if we were accused of being superior?
Bahahaha!

Old 03-14-2016, 03:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The thing is I listed so many reasons why they are different yet nobody is telling me how they are very similar. What makes the the two most similar countries in the world? I mentioned the different culture; Canadians are more polite and reserved. We have our own movies, TV shows and music in Canada. We also have American entertainment but so does Australia. The politics are so different I don't even need to explain it. The attitudes are different, Canada is less religious than the US and more open to other religions. Canada is also less capitalist and we are more left leaning than the States. The food: we have Tim Hortons which has a huge cultural importance in Canada. We also have poutine which is becoming popular in all parts of Canada. We have some other unique Canadian dishes like Beaver Tails. We also have McDonalds and KFC but again, so does Australia. The population of Canada is a lot more similar to Australia than the U.S. The U.S. has a giant population not even comparable to Canada. Gun violence is an issue in the U.S., in Canada it is not. We use the metric system, they use imperial. I can list many other differences but hopefully you get the idea. Now tell me the things that make the two countries the "most similar countries in the world"?
Are you serious? Sounds like you've bought the advertisements. Ad agencies must be proud.

Tim Hortons, a fast food chain, does not, will not, and can not define me as a Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada