U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
pdw

1,291 posts, read 639,437 times
You seem to find a problem with everything that we do that the Americans don't and everything that we don't do that the Americans do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 PM

3,372 posts, read 2,289,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You seem to find a problem with everything that we do that the Americans don't and everything that we don't do that the Americans do.
My post was not about the US whatsoever, and I didn't have Washington DC in mind either.
I have been to many countries, and found more countries have capitals as a seperate administrative region, all sizable countries.

Unlike you, I am not making Canada all about how it compares with the US.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
pdw

Fair enough. I'm just so happy in this country, I don't want the system we have to change so drastically.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm just so happy in this country, I don't want the system we have to change so drastically.
It is not about you being happy with your country or not. It is about running the country more efficiently.

Too many governments mean much higher cost (salary, pension, government waste) and we taxpayers eat the bill.

For example, the three Maritime province shouldn't get to be their own provinces individually. Their combine land is small, so is the population. Why do we pay the expenses associated with three governments, instead of one? It all comes at a cost. The entire population of theirs isn't as big as the city of Toronto, isn't that ridiculous? There are always small provinces and big one, but they are way too small (PEI in particular).

I propose southern Ontario to be a province because it is completely different from the north. The economy, the culture, the mindset, climate, everything. The Ontario government doesn't pay enough attention to the North as needed because it is far less important. For example, electricity price doesn't have to be as high as it is in Toronto.

On the other hand, Toronto's money has been used to subsidize the north, often in stupid and wasteful "programs". The money could've been used more efficiently to upgrade Toronto's embarrassing 1980s transit and crumpling highways.

It is not about wanting to change things. It is not about copying the US model. It is about running the country better and make better use of tax revenue.

I am sick of hearing people say "I am fine with how Canada is and don't want to change it". This is not national pride or empty patriotism. It is about laziness. It is about settling for status quo and not trying to improve.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For example, the three Maritime province shouldn't get to be their own provinces individually. Their combine land is small, so is the population. Why do we pay the expenses associated with three governments, instead of one? It all comes at a cost. The entire population of theirs isn't as big as the city of Toronto, isn't that ridiculous? There are always small provinces and big one, but they are way too small (PEI in particular).
So it was OK in 1867 but it's not OK now? These provinces laid the foundation for our country.
Quote:
I propose southern Ontario to be a province because it is completely different from the north. The economy, the culture, the mindset, climate, everything. The Ontario government doesn't pay enough attention to the North as needed because it is far less important. For example, electricity price doesn't have to be as high as it is in Toronto.

On the other hand, Toronto's money has been used to subsidize the north, often in stupid and wasteful "programs". The money could've been used more efficiently to upgrade Toronto's embarrassing 1980s transit and crumpling highways.

It is not about wanting to change things. It is not about copying the US model. It is about running the country better and make better use of tax revenue.

I am sick of hearing people say "I am fine with how Canada is and don't want to change it". This is not national pride or empty patriotism. It is about laziness. It is about settling for status quo and not trying to improve.
It sounds like you have something against Northern Ontario. They're going through difficult economic times and you want to cut them off. What are you talking about with the culture and mindset being different, anyways?
Quote:
Removing autonomy from certain parts of our country just to save money is not my idea of progress.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:03 PM

478 posts, read 330,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you are greatly underestimating the number of ''idiotic edicts enacting creole zealots'' (as you call them).
2.3 million YES votes in 1995 is what I based my numbers on. 2 millions of those I gather are your hardcore '' french no matter the cost'' and 1 million tops are torn between their lingo and their pocketbook.

If you are privvy to any insider info on those figures please share and we will set our defcon alertness system accordingly lol

Old 11-04-2013, 06:07 PM

78 posts, read 13,012 times
Quebec and Ontario

Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 PM

9,402 posts, read 9,955,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
2.3 million YES votes in 1995 is what I based my numbers on. 2 millions of those I gather are your hardcore '' french no matter the cost'' and 1 million tops are torn between their lingo and their pocketbook.

If you are privvy to any insider info on those figures please share and we will set our defcon alertness system accordingly lol
There is only a partial correlation between people who voted yes to independence and the people who feel strongly about the French language. The latter group is actually much larger, and most francophone federalists in Quebec (people who voted non to independence) feel fairly strongly about the language issue and are generally supportive of the language policies.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 PM
pdw

Oh, come on. Even Rene Levesque himself thought the sign laws were going to make Quebec a laughing stock. (He was right!) There are probably as many separatists indifferent to (or against, for economic and diplomatic reasons) the language laws as there are federalists in favour of them.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
So it was OK in 1867 but it's not OK now? These provinces laid the foundation for our country.
in 1867 they were considered sizable provinces, now they are not.

the fact they are founding provinces have absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't know why people keep saying it is relevant. We are in 2013, not 1867.

Plus, PEI joined in 1873, even later than Manitoba and BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada