U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 AM
 
35 posts, read 79,642 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

As you know that all federal government websites in Canada are bilingual(English and French)...I really wonder that, Should all provincial government websites be bilingual..?
Because some of provincial websites are only in English..

Manitoba http://www.gov.mb.ca English Français

British Columbia http://www.gov.bc.ca English

Alberta http://www.alberta.ca English

Yukon http://www.gov.yk.ca English Français

New Brunswick http://www.gnb.ca English Français

NFL http://www.gov.nf.ca English (There is French link)

Nunavut http://www.gov.nu.ca English Français Inuinnaqtun

Nova Scotia http://www.gov.ns.ca English Français

Quebec http://www.gouv.qc.ca English Français

Saskatchewan http://www.gov.sk.ca English

NWT http://www.gov.nt.ca English

PEI http://www.gov.pe.ca English

Ontario http://www.ontario.ca English Français
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586
No, they don't need too.

In Ontario and BC for example, more people read Chinese, Punjabi and Korean than French. Makes more sense to have website in those language than French.

The government shouldn't make it obligatory for the product packages to be bilingual in the first place. What a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunemus View Post
As you know that all federal government websites in Canada are bilingual(English and French)...I really wonder that, Should all provincial government websites be bilingual..?
Because some of provincial websites are only in English..

Manitoba http://www.gov.mb.ca English Français

British Columbia http://www.gov.bc.ca English

Alberta http://www.alberta.ca English

Yukon http://www.gov.yk.ca English Français

New Brunswick http://www.gnb.ca English Français

NFL http://www.gov.nf.ca English (There is French link)

Nunavut http://www.gov.nu.ca English Français Inuinnaqtun

Nova Scotia http://www.gov.ns.ca English Français

Quebec http://www.gouv.qc.ca English Français

Saskatchewan http://www.gov.sk.ca English

NWT http://www.gov.nt.ca English

PEI http://www.gov.pe.ca English

Ontario http://www.ontario.ca English Français
Not all of the websites that have a "français" tab are fully bilingual. In some cases the number of translated pages and services in French may be limited. Of all of the provinces the most bilingual site would be New Brunswick's which is comparable to the federal government's in bilingualism. Of course this is the only bilingual province officially.

The Quebec (French first, English second) and Ontario (English first, French second) sites are very extensively bilingual as well. The others that indicate that they have French are only partially bilingual so some things can be hit and miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, they don't need too.

In Ontario and BC for example, more people read Chinese, Punjabi and Korean than French. Makes more sense to have website in those language than French.
In Ontario anyway, none of these languages taken individually (which is what counts - because what use is a Chinese website to a Punjabi speaker?) is more numerous than French. Chinese is now close in Ontario though and may pass French at some point. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM
 
34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Reputation: 29877
My sister works in an Ontario Government office in Kitchener, Everything they do has to be also done in French in case a Francophone comes in and needs to be served or needs printed material in French, she says they have rooms full of boxes of printed material thats in French and is never used, at least in her 20 years on the job., your tax dollars at work i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Ontario anyway, none of these languages taken individually (which is what counts - because what use is a Chinese website to a Punjabi speaker?) is more numerous than French. Chinese is now close in Ontario though and may pass French at some point. Who knows?
in Ontario, under the French Language Services Act, provincial government services are required to be available in French if at least 10% of a designated area's population reports French as their native language.

Similar act should apply to other languages as well. Language rules should reflect reality, not just some ancient history. In Richmond BC, or Markham ON, Chinese deserves more official status. In many areas of these cities, it will be challenging to find someone who actually speak English as his native language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
in Ontario, under the French Language Services Act, provincial government services are required to be available in French if at least 10% of a designated area's population reports French as their native language.

Similar act should apply to other languages as well. Language rules should reflect reality, not just some ancient history. In Richmond BC, or Markham ON, Chinese deserves more official status. In many areas of these cities, it will be challenging to find someone who actually speak English as his native language.
Would it apply to English in certain parts of Quebec as well? Where I live, due to recent and not-so-recent immigration, English is probably the third or fourth most-spoken language.

Somehow I doubt that most Canadians outside Quebec would be very favourable to a situation that would see even less English in Quebec (than there is already), in favour of Portuguese, Arabic or Haitian Creole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
 
34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Reputation: 29877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Somehow I doubt that most Canadians outside Quebec would be very favourable to a situation that would see even less English in Quebec (than there is already), in favour of Portuguese, Arabic or Haitian Creole.
Do you really think Canadians outside Quebec really care if theres less English in Quebec?
From my travels in the ROC in the last year i can deduce Canadians in general dont really care about Quebec any more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 01:14 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,965,702 times
Reputation: 857
The more bilingualism, the better. That's how I see things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The more bilingualism, the better. That's how I see things.
If more people are bilingual, that's good.
I wonder how many English native speaking Canadians can speak any foreign language with some kind of fluency.

Requiring city with 1% of Francophone to have everything in French, that's stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top