Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times

Advertisements

I apologize for all the scattered town questions I've had lately, but it looks quite certain like we might be heading to Red Deer, Alberta.

We're in Montreal right now and I've only been Alberta once for a few hours (Lake Louise) lol. But I am originally from the west (Vancouver).

Has anyone lived in Red Deer and can offer some advice about general life there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I apologize for all the scattered town questions I've had lately, but it looks quite certain like we might be heading to Red Deer, Alberta.

We're in Montreal right now and I've only been Alberta once for a few hours (Lake Louise) lol. But I am originally from the west (Vancouver).

Has anyone lived in Red Deer and can offer some advice about general life there?
I've never lived there, though I've been through a fair number of times.

It's always struck me as a very blue collar city - a lot of rig workers, etc.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Never lived there either, but like Stubblejumper, I've been through a number of times.

A couple of friends of mine come from there. Good, solid, blue-collar folks, so I'll agree with that assessment. Neither works on the oil rigs, though. When they needed a "big city break," Calgary was 90 minutes down the road, and Edmonton was 90 minutes up the road. Not a bad place to be, in their estimation.

Regardless, it's a small Alberta city: loves hockey (my friends always followed the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL, plus the Calgary Flames), has plenty of civic pride, and deals with the weather as best it can.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
It's less than an hour from Rocky Mountain House, too. Pretty country and lots of outdoor recreation up that way.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks you guys. That sounds FANTASTIC... being a western girl (not really from Vancouver but the fraser valley), I like the idea of a more blue collar laid-back place. Montreal is a really nice city but being from farm land, never really fit in well.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I've never been there but I did an image search of it to see what it looks like. Have you done that yet? If you're originally from the valley here then you're probably outdoorsy oriented like all the rest of us valley dwellers. From the pictures posted online of Red Deer and all the surrounding territory it looks like that location would have lots of great options for outdoors enjoyment for the whole family. It looks quite pretty, it is clean and tidy. Going by the aerial views of the city it looks like the city's infrastructure is well laid out with the river running through the middle of the city. Good luck with your relocation!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:42 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
It's a very, very small city. Feels more like a town really and it would be a big change from Montreal.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
This picture was taken on the 2nd of August, 2002 in Red Deer.
http://blog.boomerphoto.com//images/...Aug02snowT.jpg

Be prepared to revise your definitions of the seasons.

It can be mild any month of the year, and it can frost and snow any month of the year.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:53 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Area seems to be growing fast, including nearby Sylvan Lake.

What I like about Red Deer is it's halfway between Calgary and Edmonton,
you can easily visit each as a day trip, and Rocky Mtn. foothills are too far away either.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM

Heh the weather might not be fantastic but it will be nice to not have to fumble through my crappy French on a daily basis. I'm not really happy here in Montreal.

In Alberta, do most homes (owned, not rented) come with appliances? Or do people take them when they move? Here in QC, people take them when they leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada