Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Yes, everything is hyper-insulated in Canada. I don't believe the temperature inside my house has ever been lower than 17-18C since its construction was finished.

It's never lower than 20C inside when we are there, but I do lower it to 17-18C during the days when no one is there or if we are absent for a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I suppose houses in Canada are insulated, not so here, just concrete and bricks. We had -5° a couple of days ago, which is very cold by local standards. My apartment was like a freezer And the tap water was cold as ice...

Winter temps are still what is keeping me from emigrating to Canada
No matter how much Canadians want to deny it, it is a fact that cold and long winters make the country less attractive and enjoyable, for both potential immigrants and Canadians. Our climate is more of a con than a pro.

The so called "winter sports" and events only happen once in a long while, and in reality does little to alleviate the pain of freezing temperature and treacherous road conditions.

Being too cold/snowy is worse than being too hot/humid because

1) it is dangerous to walk/drive in the heavy snow, while hot weather doesn't bring additional risks. There is no such thing as "summer tires".
2) it is costly to remove snow ($millions every year), while hot weather doesn't have such cost
3) There are way more summer sports than winter sports for people to enjoy

Canadian keep pretending winter is something we should be proud for, that it doesn't get in the way of how we enjoy life, but we all know most of us dislike the long winter and don't want it if it were a choice.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, everything is hyper-insulated in Canada. I don't believe the temperature inside my house has ever been lower than 17-18C since its construction was finished.
you mean with the heater on in the winter? Otherwise I doubt your house is that efficient.

The small condo that I live in rarely dips below 18C in the height of winter, without the heater on. But the condo building itself is heated in the common area. Still I am pretty impressed by how well insulated Canadian buildings are (not sure it is still true for those glass towers built in the past 8 years)

Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It's never lower than 20C inside when we are there, but I do lower it to 17-18C during the days when no one is there or if we are absent for a weekend.
Wow, that's cool, pun not intended Here in Portugal the inside temp simply trails the outside temp. So you often have a water film on the floor tiles in the winter as the air is too cold to absorb humidity. There is no central heating or anything like that, either.
Ironically winter might be more pleasant in Canada than here

Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you mean with the heater on in the winter? Otherwise I doubt your house is that efficient.

The small condo that I live in rarely dips below 18C in the height of winter, without the heater on. But the condo building itself is heated in the common area. Still I am pretty impressed by how well insulated Canadian buildings are (not sure it is still true for those glass towers built in the past 8 years)
Yes, with the heating on of course. Averaged out over the year heating my house costs about 120 dollars a month.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just saw the current temp for Winnipeg, minus 28° How do they keep water pipes from bursting?
It's -30C, -42C with the windchill where I am south of Winnipeg. We are in the middle of a cold snap that shows no sign of ending. But, having lived in Germany, I found that damp, gloomy -5 much colder than our dry air. Not speaking of -42 of course, which is just miserable if you have to go outside. And the blue skies and sunshine we have in the wintertime here also make it more endurable for me.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
My old house in Saskatoon did not require heating unless the outside mean temperature dropped below 10 C. This means that we turned off the furnace from late April to early October.
Neuling, water pipes are buried below the frost line (1.5 to 1.8 meters deep). The permanent snowcover all winter long helps prevent the ground from freezing deeper than that, despite the frigid air temperatures.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's -30C, -42C with the windchill where I am south of Winnipeg. We are in the middle of a cold snap that shows no sign of ending. But, having lived in Germany, I found that damp, gloomy -5 much colder than our dry air. Not speaking of -42 of course, which is just miserable if you have to go outside. And the blue skies and sunshine we have in the wintertime here also make it more endurable for me.
Yes, just feeling the sun on your skin makes a big difference. Germany is at the same latitude as Southern Canada, but it is much gloomier with higher winter temps - usually. I still have family in Germany and they will likely have yet another green Christmas, there...

Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
My old house in Saskatoon did not require heating unless the outside mean temperature dropped below 10 C. This means that we turned off the furnace from late April to early October.
Neuling, water pipes are buried below the frost line (1.5 to 1.8 meters deep). The permanent snowcover all winter long helps prevent the ground from freezing deeper than that, despite the frigid air temperatures.
Oh, that is not very deep, not much deeper than here actually.
Saskatchewan has somewhat extreme climate, judging from the temps.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Being too cold/snowy is worse than being too hot/humid because
Because you can only take off so many layers of clothes and still not escape the heat? Leading to.....I don't know......death???
Lose power, lose your AC, food spoils.

Meanwhile, you can layer up as needed and be warm in the winter. No electricity, start a fire, throw the food outside in a safe place.

Quote:
1) it is dangerous to walk/drive in the heavy snow, while hot weather doesn't bring additional risks. There is no such thing as "summer tires".
Wrong on both counts. There are more fatal accidents in the summer, and rain is more dangerous then snow/sleet.
FARS Encyclopedia: Error

And, there is such a thing as "summer tires". If you want to get picky, we'll call them "high preformance" tires.
They are different then All-Season tires.

Quote:
2) it is costly to remove snow ($millions every year), while hot weather doesn't have such cost
It is costly to rebuild after tornados, and hurricanes. No? I wonder which is cheaper.

Quote:
3) There are way more summer sports than winter sports for people to enjoy
Who gives a ****?

Quote:
Canadian keep pretending winter is something we should be proud for, that it doesn't get in the way of how we enjoy life, but we all know most of us dislike the long winter and don't want it if it were a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada