Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Assume you are choosing between two otherwise comparable U.S border merchants. Would it matter to y
The merchant can handle take my credit card (or Visa/Mastercard debit card) without subjecting me to a foreign currency transaction fee; 0 0%
The merchant takes Interac cards just like in Canada (e.g. no surcharges); 0 0%
That the merchant takes both non-surcharged credit cards and takes Interac cards; 0 0%
Doesn't matter to me. I have a credit/debit card that doesn't surcharge me for using it in the US; or, 0 0%
I've never worried about these fees. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 480,360 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who runs a U.S. gas station half a kilometer from the Canadian border. He makes a mint but has a ton of competitors. Everyone there already caters extensively to Canadians. They already post prices by the liter and in US/Canadian dollars.

He is thinking of jumping through the extra hoops to be able to process Canadian credit cards using a Canadian merchant processor so thinking that it will get him even more business than his competitors. To pull this off will be a ton of work and an accounting nightmare.

I know that many Canadians already have U.S. dollar accounts and U.S. dollar credit card accounts to avoid worrying about this. I've seen the ads for these products at BMO and TD. I'm just trying to figure out whether this is a niche product or something that the majority of people have.

Because of this, I've posted a straw poll. I'm not sure if the results will be public, but if they aren't I'll post them when it closes.

Stu

PS: Before anyone says it, his pumps don't make you use a zip code for credit card verification.

Last edited by stufried; 12-19-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 PM

82 posts, read 63,517 times
Only few gas stations ask for your "zip code" for customers protection - when asked simply say 'I live in Canada' and then they will process it still inside.

In NJ and OR all gas stations are full-service by law

Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Do his pumps take debit cards? I know Canadian debit cards are hit and miss in the US but I would think that his Canadian customers would of taken the credit card foreign transaction fee into account by either finding a credit card that doesn't charge it OR getting a Visa debit card, like the CIBC offers and use that. Has he done a poll on his Canadian customers???
Note:

If you do encounter gas stations in the US that ask for your " zip code " when using a Canadian Credit card, the way around it is to use your postal code by removing the alpha characters and use a 5 instead. It has worked every time for me and as recently as two weeks ago in Hawaii.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 PM

131 posts, read 480,360 times
Natnasci,

Ok. Presume my postal code is V6B 2E2. My "zip code" would then be 565252. That would be one digit too many.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufried View Post
Natnasci,

Ok. Presume my postal code is V6B 2E2. My "zip code" would then be 565252. That would be one digit too many.
My error, I should of said remove the first alpha character and replace the rest with 5, so yours would be 65262.
It many also depend on which credit card company you are with. Mastercard ( I didn't even know they were still around ) says to use zeros at the end, so yours would be 62200.

Try it and see. Again it may not work in all stations, but I have more success than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada