U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,435,983 times

Advertisements

If you to the hospital in Canada is it free or do you have to pay? How about if a surgery needs to be done, is it free or you have to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM

320 posts, read 401,655 times
Canadians make healthcare a priority and pay for it in taxes. In that sense, a visit to the hospital is free, as long as you're either a citizen or PR. If it's an emergency you will be treated promptly (for example my Dad had a stroke and was immediately treated). If it's non-emergency or elective, you will wait, possibly weeks.

No nagging with your health insurance provider and no filling out 10 million forms. No co-pays. No worries about deductibles and etc.

Why do you ask?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Canadians make healthcare a priority and pay for it in taxes. In that sense, a visit to the hospital is free, as long as you're either a citizen or PR. If it's an emergency you will be treated promptly (for example my Dad had a stroke and was immediately treated). If it's non-emergency or elective, you will wait, possibly weeks.

No nagging with your health insurance provider and no filling out 10 million forms. No co-pays. No worries about deductibles and etc.

Why do you ask?
One of my friends need a surgery. She have back pains and such. However her insurance does not covers it. So I'm trying to seek information for her.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
If you are a Canadian citizen or PR, yes. All costs occurring during your stay in the hospital is free.
Otherwise, no.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If you are a Canadian citizen or PR, yes. All costs occurring during your stay in the hospital is free.
Otherwise, no.
When you say PR, you mean Puerto Rican citizens? Puerto Ricans are American citizens as PR is part of the US, but that's good. I love Canada. I have been there a couple of times.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:11 PM

15,837 posts, read 10,031,444 times
PR = Permanent Resident immigration status in Canada. Your friend will be $$$ billed.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
When you say PR, you mean Puerto Rican citizens? Puerto Ricans are American citizens as PR is part of the US, but that's good. I love Canada. I have been there a couple of times.
NO; not a Puerto Rican but rather a person granted "permanent resident" status who is paying Canadian income taxes and therefore issued a Health Card.

American citizens are not eligible for Canadian Healthcare except on a paying or travel insurance coverage basis. If paying outright I can guarantee the cost as being a fraction of whatever it would cost in the U.S. and if being paid by insurance, I guarantee your insurance carrier; especially if an American carrier, will be most happy you're in Canada, or for that matter, anywhere else BUT the U.S.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
PR = Permanent Resident immigration status. Your friend will be $$$ billed.
Oh ok lol. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
One of my friends need a surgery. She have back pains and such. However her insurance does not covers it. So I'm trying to seek information for her.
You really need to explore by google "obtaining health care abroad" or "foreign medical tourism" on the internet to ascertain another country that is courting American citizens to come and receive medical care for everything from coronary by-pass to bunion reductions. There is such a demand for these services now that countries like Thailand, India, Costa Rica are providing stellar care for a fraction of the costs associated with your typical American hospital stay.

It is not unheard of to save tens of thousands of dollars including flight costs to obtain comparable or even better care in these foreign countries. Many even provide concierge type of services normally provided to only the very rich in the U.S.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM

4,057 posts, read 9,104,743 times
Funny thing, a friend of mine whio is American (with no travel insurance) had a health crisis in England and they did her surgery and all her care and never even sent her a bill. That would not happen to a non-resident in Canada!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or