Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,076 times

Advertisements

I'll be a freshman in September at Memorial University and wondered what the place is like as well as the city?

I'm from the UK so the most important things us lads from England need to live are the barbers, gym, pub, nightclub and strippers. I get the impression there is not much night atmosphere in St John's except parties on campus? George Street all pubs or are there any clubs?

What's it like as a whole. I'm used to the big city Birmingham but I'm looking forward to the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,510,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_sounders View Post
I'll be a freshman in September at Memorial University and wondered what the place is like as well as the city?

I'm from the UK so the most important things us lads from England need to live are the barbers, gym, pub, nightclub and strippers. I get the impression there is not much night atmosphere in St John's except parties on campus? George Street all pubs or are there any clubs?

What's it like as a whole. I'm used to the big city Birmingham but I'm looking forward to the change.
It isn't anything like Birmingham, that's for sure. Did you pick MUN because by the standards of Canadian universities it offers relatively inexpensive tuition to international students? You'll have plenty of places to drink and to get into trouble, but clubs as you know them aren't really there. There are a couple of small, overcrowded places that are somewhat club-like, but it's dirty pubs you'll have to deal with for the most part.

Get ready for some of the most horrible winters of your life. It's bad there in the winter, even by Canadian standards. Set aside a nice pile of dosh for taxis in the winter. Walking isn't all that practical for three or four months a year.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 9,076 times
Its the inexpensive tuition fees Maclock. Been as there isn't any funding for us Brits abroad my family and I need to pay for all of my university fees. I'm sure I'll make the 'soccer' team though! Scholarships?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,510,384 times
Quote:
Its the inexpensive tuition fees Maclock. Been as there isn't any funding for us Brits abroad my family and I need to pay for all of my university fees. I'm sure I'll make the 'soccer' team though! Scholarships?
Dunno about scholarships. You'll have to check with the university for a list of available scholarships and the criteria for each one.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,603,637 times
I have read, as I am planning a vacation in NFL, that St. John's is the most "Irish" city in Canada. I find that attractive.I am considering using a car instead of my motorcycle because of the unpredictable summer weather.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 AM

31 posts, read 122,527 times
Quote:
I get the impression there is not much night atmosphere in St John's except parties on campus? George Street all pubs or are there any clubs?
George Street is way more lively than campus. There are some clubs as well as pubs, something for everyone. For a city of its size the nightlife is pretty impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada