U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM

613 posts, read 891,933 times

Advertisements

Tall poppy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whoever wrote this Wikipedia article says so.
Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Have you heard of it, or recognize it in Canadian culture, as opposed to the more supposedly individualist American culture, which is said to go far in the other direction or extreme with overemphasis or brag about personal success?

I first heard the term used for Australian culture, but not Canadian culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 PM

12,668 posts, read 8,737,253 times
I can't say that I've heard the term used as Tall Poppy Syndrome, but again, Canada is a big place and perhaps they use it in other parts of the country.
As for it's existence, I would say yes, to a degree. I think it really depends on how the person of " genuine merit " presents themselves. Bragging is considered very arrogant.
I also think that in some peoples mind, they are a little suspicious and jealous of certain successful people and will cut them down if it looks like they are promoting themselves as somehow better.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,847,635 times
I think this exists everywhere. It's essentially what tabloid culture is built upon.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM

12,668 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think this exists everywhere. It's essentially what tabloid culture is built upon.
…but isn't tabloid culture mainly focused on the entertainment industry ?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times
I'm sure this nasty phenomenon exists in the US to, but the expression tall poppy syndrome is one I've only ever heard from Australians, I've never heard an Anglo-Canadian use the term (my regional affiliations are Montreal and Vancouver, perhaps in Atlantic Canada it's used?) In the US, I've heard that sometimes tall poppy syndrome happens in impoverished black communities when someone is succeeding above their peers, but of course the term wasn't used. Only mentioned to point out that it's probably not exclusive to the Commonwealth and you'll likely find examples all over the place. I've heard the metaphor of crabs in a bucket or "the crab mentality" used to describe the phenomenon in some North American contexts.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM

564 posts, read 877,588 times
I haven't heard that term, but growing up in Nova Scotia I certainly saw it in effect.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:34 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
I know the term from my time in Australia, and immediately recognized it as the equivalent of the French Canadian expression "il pète plus haut que le trou" (he farts higher than the hole).

It's apparently a historical trait of French Canadians to bring down those who are successful and ambitious, although my sense is that people have largely moved on from this.

The hate that Céline Dion got early in her career in her home province was attributed to this, although as I said it no longer seems to be something that French Canadians do in a Pavlovian way like they maybe used to in the past.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Depends on where you are. The US entertainment industry is built on edification of stars. They will kill you for sure if they get the chance - but only if you hang yourself. They aren't necessarily out to get you.

If you are smart you can stay on top there - forever almost.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The hate that Céline Dion got early in her career in her home province was attributed to this, although as I said it no longer seems to be something that French Canadians do in a Pavlovian way like they maybe used to in the past.
Isn't there a verb that French Canadians use to describe the act of an entertainer performing in English to reach a wider audience - something like "punt"?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Isn't there a verb that French Canadians use to describe the act of an entertainer performing in English to reach a wider audience - something like "punt"?
You are probably referring to the parody song I Want to Pogne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or