U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2014, 05:59 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029

Advertisements

In America we love love Mexican food, we have a lot of Mexican immigrants and many American families can be traced back to Mexico. Spanish is used casually with people from non Mexican backgrounds. sometimes we say Hola and Gracias.

What is it like in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Reputation: 13459
We have mexican food, and migrant workers.

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Reputation: 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In America we love love Mexican food, we have a lot of Mexican immigrants and many American families can be traced back to Mexico. Spanish is used casually with people from non Mexican backgrounds. sometimes we say Hola and Gracias.

What is it like in Canada?
Much, much less influence. Few Canadians speak Spanish, despite what Canadians may claim Mexican food is fairly infrequently found compared to the US and of much lower quality, many ingredients cannot be found such as a variety in hotsauces, and people of Mexican descent are much less than 1% of the population.

We do have seasonal migrant workers who come to help on farms when the extra work is needed, but they don't have a big impact on the wider society because they aren't permanent residents who interact with it much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Reputation: 13459
I didn't say we have a lot of, or even good mexican food. lol

If I want good mexican food, I head to mexican town, in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3257
I haven't met many Mexicans here in Canada, It seems like other Latin groups are more visible (Colombians Slavadoreans etc). The overall Latino population is very small here, though it seems to be growing in Quebec ....and surprisingly in Manitoba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14141
Mexico influence in Canada compared to America

Barely any influence on the west coast, there are very few Mexican immigrants in the Vancouver area, none that I've ever seen in the Fraser Valley towns but more of them as farmers can be found in Keremeos, Osoyoos and the Okanagan vinyards areas.

There are seasonal workers that have a special deal worked out with the government so they can come to BC in groups of 12 for six weeks to work on reforestation tree farms and the like to learn about northern agriculture and forestry. They stay 6 weeks then leave to be replaced with another group.

It's not easy to find good Mexican food but on Victoria Drive in Vancouver there are a couple of hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants that I think must be the real deal as regards authenticity. They're owned and operated by Mexican immigrants and the food is not like any Mexican food that I've ever had in the USA. They serve Mexican, Guatemalan, Peruvian and Columbian food (and maybe a few others but I haven't tried it all) and along with all the other hot sauces and condiments in the banquet area they have 3 big cauldrons of hot chile spiced chocolate sauce for putting on the food - mild, hot and extra hot. I couldn't eat the chocolate sauce, I found even the mild chocolate sauce was way too hot for me but then I'm not into spicy foods anyway so I've always ordered the very mildest foods they served. I can't imagine what the extra hot chocolate sauce must be like! But I've been a few times with family members visiting from Mexico and South America and seen some of the various meals they ordered and they are always enthusiastic, said it's all top notch authentic food and delicious.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Reputation: 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mexico influence in Canada compared to America

Barely any influence on the west coast, there are very few Mexican immigrants in the Vancouver area, none that I've ever seen in the Fraser Valley towns but more of them as farmers can be found in Keremeos, Osoyoos and the Okanagan vinyards areas.

There are seasonal workers that have a special deal worked out with the government so they can come to BC in groups of 12 for six weeks to work on reforestation tree farms and the like to learn about northern agriculture and forestry. They stay 6 weeks then leave to be replaced with another group.

It's not easy to find good Mexican food but on Victoria Drive in Vancouver there are a couple of hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants that I think must be the real deal as regards authenticity. They're owned and operated by Mexican immigrants and the food is not like any Mexican food that I've ever had in the USA. They serve Mexican, Guatemalan, Peruvian and Columbian food (and maybe a few others but I haven't tried it all) and along with all the other hot sauces and condiments in the banquet area they have 3 big cauldrons of hot chile spiced chocolate sauce for putting on the food - mild, hot and extra hot. I couldn't eat the chocolate sauce, I found even the mild chocolate sauce was way too hot for me but then I'm not into spicy foods anyway so I've always ordered the very mildest foods they served. I can't imagine what the extra hot chocolate sauce must be like! But I've been a few times with family members visiting from Mexico and South America and seen some of the various meals they ordered and they are always enthusiastic, said it's all top notch authentic food and delicious.

.
What's that place called? I live in Vancouver and would like to go, so I would appreciate the name of the one you actually went to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What's that place called? I live in Vancouver and would like to go, so I would appreciate the name of the one you actually went to.
Yes, here you go, I had to go look them up to get the names. Read the write ups at the links, you'll see they concur with what I said. There's 2 of them on the same block - both on the east side of the street. They're both good. If I recall correctly Adleitas is the one that has the cauldrons of hot chocolate sauce and it is also a slightly larger restaurant with more seating space. Like I said before they are kind of tucked away little hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nothing fancy in appearance but the service is good and the food is superb.

Adelitas
5178 Victoria Drive
Adelitas - Kensington-Cedar Cottage - Vancouver, BC | Yelp


El Caracol Cafe
5190 Victoria Dr
El Caracol Café - Kensington-Cedar Cottage - Vancouver, BC | Yelp

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-02-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14141
And if you're a real ethnic foodie and into authentic Portuguese and continental mediterranean food the very best Portuguese restaurant in the lower mainland is Sagres in Maple Ridge. Another family owned restaurant, excellent service and again, superb food (they have the best little potato medallions I've ever had). Mother and daughter and son do the cooking and father does the seating and serving. Very personalized service.

Sagres
100-22550 Dewdney Trunk Rd
Maple Ridge

Sagres Restaurant - Maple Ridge | Urbanspoon

for menu: Home Page

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They serve Mexican, Guatemalan, Peruvian and Columbian food (and maybe a few others but I haven't tried it all) and along with all the other hot sauces and condiments in the banquet area they have 3 big cauldrons of hot chile spiced chocolate sauce for putting on the food - mild, hot and extra hot. I couldn't eat the chocolate sauce, I found even the mild chocolate sauce was way too hot for me but then I'm not into spicy foods anyway so I've always ordered the very mildest foods they served. I can't imagine what the extra hot chocolate sauce must be like!
That sounds really good. IMHO Mexican, Guatemalan and Peruvian foods are the best from Latin America. The hot sauce your talking about might called "Mole"? I have had mole with chocolate on different meats and its really good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top