Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM

43 posts, read 65,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
…except maybe the beer part
We treat drunk driving much more harshly though, as we should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain N' Hail View Post
We treat drunk driving much more harshly though, as we should.

I dunno. When I was in the BC interior, it seemed to be the norm.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Yeah that red flag doesn't look distinct, looks like another territory of Britain, the Maple leaf is way better and much more recognisable.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah that red flag doesn't look distinct, looks like another territory of Britain, the Maple leaf is way better and much more recognisable.
And makes a much better target as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Uh, Bob and Doug McKenzie?
Take off, eh?

That was a LONG time ago.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 PM

43 posts, read 65,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What do you mean?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain N' Hail View Post
What do you mean?
I've often thought it does actually look like a target. There is no other flag in the world (that I know of) that looks as much like a target as the Canadian flag does with that single big red maple leaf in the dead center. I really like it though, I think it's beautiful in it's simplicity and even like that it looks like a big target. When put on display with all other flags of the world it's the easiest one to pick out quickly.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've often thought it does actually look like a target. There is no other flag in the world (that I know of) that looks as much like a target as the Canadian flag does with that single big red maple leaf in the dead center.
What about the Japanese flag? One big red circle in the middle of a white field.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
What about the Japanese flag? One big red circle in the middle of a white field.
It doesn't have the two striking red bars flanking on either side which deliniate and draw the eye towards the center. It's just a big red dot on a white background with no deliniation (even a bulls-eye has more deliniation than a single red dot). I like the look of their navy and army flag though.

Canada Flag

Japanese Flag

Japanese Navy and Army flag

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-08-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Uh, Bob and Doug McKenzie?
Well as others have mentioned, Bob and Doug aren't real, they were just a spoof and the goofy characters they stereotyped don't really exist in Canadian society, except for maybe teenage stoners to some degree.

I don't think the OP knew what hoser really means. Hoser actually means somebody who is a thief, a loser, an untrustworthy desperado, scammer, having no scruples; and to get hosed means to have been robbed or otherwise taken advantage of and scammed by somebody untrustworthy - by a hoser. Back in the Depression era hoser was a common term for thieves and other outlaws, particularly thieves who stole rationed gasoline and sold it at marked up prices. They were looked upon by society the same way thieves of copper and other metal today are looked upon (and metal thieves are commonly called strippers now).

So I don't think I would compare a real hoser culture with a southern redneck culture, it kind of does a disfavour to all rednecks everywhere to compare them with low down thieves and desperados.

I do think rednecks everywhere are the same no matter what country they're in and every country does have rednecks.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-08-2014 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada