Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM

946 posts, read 2,913,252 times

Advertisements

I’ve been living in Canada for four years, but only recently have I considered going back to my home country (Mexico), I guess now because I’m not underage and I can make my own decisions, whereas before I was obligated to stay here. It’s an extremely difficult decision to make because I think I’d be losing a lot, including my permanent residence. Well, the main reason I want to move back is because of the weather, I know it’s a stupid reason but it’s really a big deal for me! I just can’t tolerate the cold, no matter how many coats and sweaters I put on, I hate it! I have a very tiny build and am very thin so I’m always freezing, even when it’s 20 degrees C. Also, it’s not like this weather only lasts a month, its cold most months out of the year, the only enjoyable months for me are from June to August. And winter is so depressing, it gets dark like at 5 which makes it even more depressing! Not to mention the 5-10 extra pounds I gain because I stay at home most of the time unless I’m obligated to go out. It’s so different from the lifestyle in Mexico =( BUT…on the OTHER side…I’d be starting university soon and I know a degree from a Canadian university is probably far more valuable than one I can obtain back in Mexico. But I’m not happy here, so what should I do? Everybody tells me to wait a couple of years until I receive my degree, and then do whatever I want, and that the weather is not a big deal…its something that can be tolerated. Sometimes I feel like I’m just being spoiled, but I don’t know. It’s certainly not a caprice, because I’ve been wanting to go back for a while now. But then I hear all those stories about people dying to come to Canada and to have the opportunity of living here, and I start feeling bad =(. I’d just like to hear any points of view, advice, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,971,865 times
Get your degree and see if you can move to British Columbia where the climate is mild. You have the rest of your life ahead of you so 2 years of cold misery is not so much. Just wait it out. It will pay off in the future, and you will be glad you did.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 307,101 times
I would go back to Mexico. Weather IS a big deal

Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Weather is more important than a degree from a reputable college which can make the difference for her whole life? Oh my God.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 AM

323 posts, read 1,387,764 times
I grew up in Southern California and after 30 odd years with cold Canadian winters I still feel slightly appalled by the first frosts. Yet, I love it too. Dressing in layers, down coat, easy boots to get on, choice of Mitts, gloves and hats to comply to the weather makes a huge difference. I make it a point to be well prepared that way. Plus to just get out and walk. You can get your body and mind used to it.

As well, in Southern California it starts getting dark early in the afternoon just the same as here save maybe 1/2 hour difference. In some parts (many parts, actually) it
is worse when it is boiling hot from 8:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. every single day for months on end. Plus it gets humid now adding to the misery. It is sunny everyday and the sun
is so glaringly bright you need a hat and the best sunglasses to deal with it. Forget about rain you won't ever see much of it.

That's S. Calli. I gather Mexico may have better weather. For years I always thought
it was better to be in California and now when I go back to visit I can't stand it. All I want to do is to be back in Canada. Winter and all. I think it's important to bundle up and get out no matter what. I don't like walking when there is a lot of snow on the ground but I know if I had the right boots that it would make it easier. I use to have a pair and need to get the right kind again. Wide rubbery type for stability. I walked last night for 1/2 hour and loved it so much I wondered why I was ever feeling put off by Winter at all.

I know there are Winter moments that you think, gads, I hate this. But, really it can be really lovely too.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM

34 posts, read 160,140 times
It's a trade off ! I'm sure that in Mexico there are things that you were not happy with either. Do you really want to give up your chance at an education that could take you anywhere in the world for work? After you get your education you can move back, or to any other sunny warm place for that matter. It's stupid to leave what we can offer here for nicer weather. It will take some time but you will adapt. I won't say adjust because that might never happen but you can adapt. Dress warm. Get yourself a sun lamp - it sounds like you are suffering from SAD. Come on now, why did you come to Canada in the first place? Suck it up and get on with your life.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:59 PM

946 posts, read 2,913,252 times
You guys are right. A couple of years of cold misery is nothing compared to my whole life. Besides, I'm kind of beginning to like this weather. It's so beautiful to see the snow outside, especially in this season, I think I would much rather spend Christmas in Canada than somewhere warm, because I love the whole Christmas feel and scenery here in Canada, it's just like in a movie! I remember looking out my window the first day it starting snowing this winter, it was so beautiful! I'd much rather spend this season in a place and setting like this than in a beach! What kind of sucks is that it lasts a pretty long time and sometimes temperatures (specially this winter) can get VERY low, but...I'm actually getting used to it. Besides, I'm so happy because I finally passed my driving test and I can get a car soon, and having a car really makes winter a lot easier!!
Thanks for all your opinions, they really help make my choice so much easier.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:58 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,432,283 times
The light regime is unfortunately something you can't escape anywhere in Canada - it will always be very dark in the winter and cold.

However, where in Canada are you? If you're tired of snow and cold, you might want to consider studying in Vancouver or Victoria where there is virtually no snow (except for a few days). The spring flowers come out early there (February/March) and there are more opportunities to be outside enjoying yourself. It's something to consider. People that find the winters long and cold in certain parts of Canada come to Vancouver/Victoria to escape it. Perhaps try that before returning to Mexico.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 PM

104 posts, read 448,919 times
I find the cold in the pacific northwest to be even more brutal because:
1. It lasts the whole year. Eww.
2. There's no beautiful snow (or the holiday spirit that comes with it) to make up for feeling cold.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 AM

You guys are right. A couple of years of cold.....

WHEW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada