Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,338,621 times

Advertisements

The major corruption scandals of last year (Quebec's construction industry inquiry, Rob Ford, etc.) are being dealt with, in my view... the inquiry is ongoing, but at least it's underway and the issue is being discussed openly now; Toronto has an election coming up, same with the province of Ontario, and so on, so things will be dealt with democratically. If people have gotten weary of the federal Tories' conservative social policies, they'll get their chance at the polls soon enough next year. I don't think any of that points to impending disaster for Canada.

The possibility of rocky times for the economy is more concerning. Canadians have an intolerably high level of personal debt (although many Western countries have the same issue); commodity prices may sink somewhat as the U.S. economy recovers (although the drop in the CAD$ may offset this problem).

Our economy will probably slow down compared to the U.S. It will take a while to get our mojo back. When the U.S. economy gets in gear, though, it tends to lift our boat too (eventually).

I'm keenly watching how the federal Libs and Tories do in the opinion polls this year. (Personally I think the NDP is toast in the next election, and will lose many seats to the Libs.) Which party will come out stronger in the next 12 months? They've got a long way to go til the election in 2015, so it'll be fun to watch how they do in the election build up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,643,028 times
reading the article makes me like Canada more, things I like that Economist didn't

promoting exports from Alberta’s tar sands while doing the minimum on climate change - it would be stupid not to sell
resource development on traditional aboriginal lands - it would be a waste not to develop
stopping parents and grandparents immigration (reopening costing more) - it is unfair to allow them to enjoy Canada's benefit without contributing anything (and I am an immigrant)
quebec banning public workers from wearing “conspicuous” religious symbols - religion should play no part in government
drastically cut refugees’ health-care entitlements - there shouldn't be any entitlement to begin with

The only thing I hate about the Harper government is its foreign policy - pretending to play tough when the country doesn't matter a bit. For example on the Ukraine issue he should just keep his mouth shut.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

Our economy will probably slow down compared to the U.S. It will take a while to get our mojo back. When the U.S. economy gets in gear, though, it tends to lift our boat too (eventually).
that's the number 1 pathetic thing about Canada.

even today Bank of Canada pretends to make the decision of keeping the interest rate unchanged, as if the decision is made in Ottawa, not by the Federal Reserve.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,401,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
reading the article makes me like Canada more, things I like that Economist didn't

promoting exports from Alberta’s tar sands while doing the minimum on climate change - it would be stupid not to sell
resource development on traditional aboriginal lands - it would be a waste not to develop
stopping parents and grandparents immigration (reopening costing more) - it is unfair to allow them to enjoy Canada's benefit without contributing anything (and I am an immigrant)
quebec banning public workers from wearing “conspicuous” religious symbols - religion should play no part in government
drastically cut refugees’ health-care entitlements - there shouldn't be any entitlement to begin with

The only thing I hate about the Harper government is its foreign policy - pretending to play tough when the country doesn't matter a bit. For example on the Ukraine issue he should just keep his mouth shut.
They are adults, why do they need to follow a dress code?
its just a religious symbol, are people really that scared of a little cross or a star of david?

Old 06-05-2014, 02:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
its just a religious symbol, are people really that scared of a little cross or a star of david?
Because a Xenophobic Quebec government said so..Fortunately that particular government crashed and burned so the enactment of the Quebec Charter of Values has been dropped.
What an embarrassing piece of legislation, representing the benchmark of religious intolerance. the curtailment of basic civil liberties and an end to cultural diversity.
Thats the way separatists think,, good riddance to them.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...kers-1.1699315

Another piece of legislation that was hoped would pass.
http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/features/bill-14/
Note the scary new increased powers the language inspectors/language police would receive.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-05-2014 at 02:23 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 07:19 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Quick question mikeyyc…do you reside full time in the US, or at all ? Harper has plans to change your voting rights if you do. Any Canadian living outside of the country for more than five years, will not be able to vote. Not a done deal yet, but it's on the table.
I live in Texas now. In all honesty, I shouldn't have voting rights. I no longer pay Canadian taxes (thank God for that) I don't have a residence there anymore, and really I should have no input into the system beyond my witty repartee here. The unfortunate part is that I don't have a say here either. Only citizens can vote, and I'm just a dirty immigrant green card holder.

I'm from Alberta, and grew up under Trudeau and the NEP, and remember as a kid how my parents, many friends and parents friends lost everything, or spent the next decade getting back to where they were, so I'm pretty much of a conservative voter as you can get, in a Canadian context. Although I'm more of a Lougheed Conservative than a Manning one. That being said, I'm a stinking Commie Fascist Liberal Tree Hugger compared to the wingnuts here. Maybe that's why I don't see the Canadian Conservatives as all that bad. I've live the real crazy, and Harper barely moves the needle.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
don't you have a dress code at your work place?
Can bank tellers wear tshirts and shorts to work?
Everybody more or less has a dress code.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
don't you have a dress code at your work place?
Can bank tellers wear tshirts and shorts to work?
Everybody more or less has a dress code.
Nobody loves a good straw man argument more than me, but this is light years from a workplace dresscode, and has no place in a secular country that is supposedly a champion of human rights.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nobody loves a good straw man argument more than me, but this is light years from a workplace dresscode, and has no place in a secular country that is supposedly a champion of human rights.
Just to be the devil's advocate, it was totally a workplace dresscode, and was only for public sector employees. It had nothing to do with the private sector and nothing to do with everyday life on the streets.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just to be the devil's advocate, it was totally a workplace dresscode, and was only for public sector employees. It had nothing to do with the private sector and nothing to do with everyday life on the streets.
That public sector includes all government offices, schools and hospitals. Also a Quebec Charter of values kinda gives the government a blank cheque to do what ever it wants in the name of a Quebec value, how long do you think it would have taken to restrict religious symbols in the private sector as well? Who decides what is a Quebec value?, how far do you take such a piece of legislation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada