U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM

342 posts, read 394,970 times

Advertisements

Business Insider - The Three Reasons Canada Is Doomed: The Reasons the Country is Screwed Up Beyond All Recognition

The Economist - Uncool Canada: The Moose Loses Its Shades

I was unaware that corruption is becoming so rampant in Canada. In BC I rarely heard anything about it but I didn't pay much attention either. I cant agree more with the part about the economic situation because the economy was drastically affecting my life in Vancouver. I escaped south for greener pastures, and many of my high school friends have left for Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and even Montreal. I believe that native Vancouverites should be able to expect to find employment and have hope of ever owning a house or providing a first world standard of living for their children. For the same prices you can go live on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu. I am also concerned that the Canadian economy relies so heavily on resource extraction rather than innovation like the US, Germany, Japan, South Korea. I do not think that this is a sound strategy because it puts us at the mercy of fluctuating world market prices. In addition to this there are problems of racism in Canada. I don't like our treatment of the First Nations or that we suddenly want to parade them around when the international community is paying attention (Olympics for example. I will be going home to BC to see family in August and am keen to keep my eyes peeled and ears open.

What do you think? What can be done to fix Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM

178 posts, read 447,962 times
I left Canada for Ukraine for a job opprotunity, and I hope to make my way to America soon. I never really liked Canada.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
I left Canada for Ukraine for a job opprotunity, and I hope to make my way to America soon. I never really liked Canada.
Millions and millions of people move countries every year. It doesn't mean the country they left is bad.

People move from Switzerland to Canada or from Norway to Australia or from England to France.

Doesn't mean Switzerland, Norway or England are bad places.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Doomed? Hardly think so. Going through a rough patch politically, yes.
Harper is out of step with the majority of people in Canada, absolutely. His myopic vision of believing the tar sands will be our saviour, is not shared by everyone.
The first link you posted is over a year old. The Rob Ford scandals do not represent all of Canada, same with Montreal. I doubt Canada is the only country in which mayors sometimes get in trouble with expenses. It's hardly earth shattering.
Debt, yes it's a problem…it's a problem for other countries as well, but Canada will survive. The lie that the Cons are good fiscal managers is revealing itself to more and more people.
Housing bubble…well I've been reading that for over 15 years, and if there is one and if it's bursts, I don't see that as dooming a country…other countries have survived that as well.

Your second link from last year, first line is telling to me.
"When The Economist declared ten years ago that Canada was “cool”, with its mix of social liberalism and fiscal rectitude, it was a startling idea."
That was pre - Harper and his reform style politics. His lack of environmental foresight , his dismantling of Canadians institutions, his attack on hard data ( long form Census ) his slowing killing the CBC, etc has definitely made an impact and has made Canada uncool. In other words our reputation internationally has been tarnished.

Some things in the second article have passed, such as the situation of religious symbols in Quebec, Marois was soundly defeated. Quebec earned back it's reputation as a tolerant place.

Also this isn't quite correct "Canada also has a cool new trade deal with the European Union" It's not signed yet.

Harper running out of time to finalize EU free-trade deal, but PM optimistic after Brussels meeting | National Post

What will be done to fix Canada is what democracies always do when people aren't happy with the current government. We vote them out, wait two years, and start complaining again.

However I do believe, that the Harper years, have been the darkest politically in Canada in my adult life.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
I think the articles quoted are cherry picking issues and extrapolating them to the whole country.

Are housing costs high, yes, but are they hyperinflated no. There isn't the ability to over leverage to the degree that homes were used as an ATM like in the U.S.

Corruption in Montreal is such an old tale it barely is worth noting. If it wasn't the Mafia, it was Biker Gangs, and now it's catching politicians. The problem isn't that there's more, it's that people are being caught, which makes it look like more, when in fact it's actually a good thing. Make sense?

Resources. Canada has the most fresh water in the world, and is in the top five in oil and gas reserves. That isn't going to change in the forseeable future. Yes we as humanity need to start moving away from fossil fuels, but unless cold fusion is discovered tomorrow, it's a long road before that happens, especially considering that environmentalists won't agree to increased hydro or nuclear power either.

Racism against the first nations...well maybe you think the U.S. had a better solution, and we should have just committed genocide instead? The biggest problem, as I see it, is that the treaties were written for another time, and the discussion for what is included has been twisted, and there's far too much money at stake for anyone to find a middle ground. It's not in the AFN or private company's interests to compromise, especially when Government has a habit of footing the bill anyways, which makes everyone unhappy.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

However I do believe, that the Harper years, have been the darkest politically in Canada in my adult life.
Or it could be a change from the backroom deals and Quebec centric attitude of the last 100 years or so. Just depends on your perspective...

Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Or it could be a change from the backroom deals and Quebec centric attitude of the last 100 years or so. Just depends on your perspective...
Well my perspective is in the majority. Harper and the PMO are polling very low.
Also if I had to choose between the two, I'd take back room deal and a Quebec centric view over the devastation Harper had and is doing. The man has no vision.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well my perspective is in the majority. Harper and the PMO are polling very low.
Also if I had to choose between the two, I'd take back room deal and a Quebec centric view over the devastation Harper had and is doing. The man has no vision.
As we know, polls are what decide elections...

Until the Liberals and NDP can decide what to do, the Conservatives will win, as they're the only one with a unified base. You can have a vote in Vancouver and you'll trip over the Greens, Liberals and NDP, which amount to 70 percent of the base, but the solid 30 for the conservatives will win since the others will be split three ways (at least).

I'll take Mr. No Vision over the guy that is envious of the guys that orchestrated Tiananmen Square. Vision can sometimes be over-rated. Always be wary of an ambitious politician.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As we know, polls are what decide elections...

Until the Liberals and NDP can decide what to do, the Conservatives will win, as they're the only one with a unified base. You can have a vote in Vancouver and you'll trip over the Greens, Liberals and NDP, which amount to 70 percent of the base, but the solid 30 for the conservatives will win since the others will be split three ways (at least).

I'll take Mr. No Vision over the guy that is envious of the guys that orchestrated Tiananmen Square. Vision can sometimes be over-rated. Always be wary of an ambitious politician.
We were talking about the shared " perspective " of the majority of Canadians in real numbers. Not the political majority a party may get elected with.

I truly believe Harper and the cons are done for, you don't. So what? We will have an answer next year and it's going to be, I think, one of the most exciting elections Canada has had in a long while.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Quick question mikeyyc…do you reside full time in the US, or at all ? Harper has plans to change your voting rights if you do. Any Canadian living outside of the country for more than five years, will not be able to vote. Not a done deal yet, but it's on the table.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-04-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or