U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,927,170 times
Default Oh Canada

I recently watched a news story reporting that Illegal Immigrants mainly from Mexico are arriving in Canada at the rate of 20 a day and the number is going up. (It was reported in the story the term "illegal alien" is not used in Canada).

The word is out that in Canada they will not be deported, all they have to do is report their arrival to the local police.

After reporting themselves they automatically receive "refugee" status good for 12 Months. They are eligible for refugee status because they passed through a third country (the USA) to get there.

They get free housing, a monthly stipend for food and housing, legal Canadian ID’s, social insurance cards and a social worker tasked with helping them to transition to living in Canada, obtaining instruction in basic english language skills and finding employment.

This is all done at the expense of the Canadian taxpayer. The refugee laws in Canada were not written with this situation in mind. It’s a huge loophole being taken advantage of.

The way Canadian Immigration laws are written there is no chance these "refugees" will ever be deported back to Mexico.

With a deal like this there is no reason to hang out and endure tough times in here the States. Unless the Canadian Parliament takes action the trickle of 20 a day will soon become a flash flood.

Canada is a great country ,this situation is unsustainable and a legal loophole has been exploited It will be interesting to watch (from here in the States) what Ottawa decides to do. Canada seems to do a better job than my country in responding to social issues like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,346,615 times
Spread the news and maybe Canada will become a TRI language county! Spanish, French and English! I know there are plenty of folks in the USA that will give a free ride to the border for all illegal immigrants wishing to go to Canada. But after about 3 million of them show up Canada will probably be less generous.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,483,073 times
Oh, I wish I had a picture of my Canuck boyfriend's face when he heard this on the news the other night.

The Mexican family who when asked where they got the money for this lovely house they were renting, food, medical, etc, simply said, "the government". Nothing needs to be said further about THAT.

That "flood" will be coming soon, and I certainly do NOT blame any Canadians for having your response, Charles. Why the heck shouldn't these people travel farther north? Seems like a good deal to me (at least for them).

Old 12-17-2007, 04:46 PM

2,795 posts, read 4,800,961 times
Of course it will be likely dealt with soon, call the trickle a few hundred. I know the US's plan is working really well.

Oh, there's no plan?

Oh.... Well there can't be that many.....

Over 12 million you say? Ummm, yeah, let's get on that.

Mike

Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course it will be likely dealt with soon, call the trickle a few hundred. I know the US's plan is working really well.

Oh, there's no plan?

Oh.... Well there can't be that many.....

Over 12 million you say? Ummm, yeah, let's get on that.

Mike
The USA has a plan. It is called "let's help them into Canada and then they will be Canada's problem" since we have not had much luck at sending them back home to Mexico.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Oh, I wish I had a picture of my Canuck boyfriend's face when he heard this on the news the other night.

The Mexican family who when asked where they got the money for this lovely house they were renting, food, medical, etc, simply said, "the government". Nothing needs to be said further about THAT.

That "flood" will be coming soon, and I certainly do NOT blame any Canadians for having your response, Charles. Why the heck shouldn't these people travel farther north? Seems like a good deal to me (at least for them).
I can see why my dear wife misses the place so much.... heck I am beginning to miss it too and I never lived there! Wonder if the government will give me a nice place to live there....

Old 12-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The USA has a plan. It is called "let's help them into Canada and then they will be Canada's problem" since we have not had much luck at sending them back home to Mexico.
And, since Canada basically gives them everything needed to live, no questions asked, it's just WAY too easy for us. Hey, why didn't we think of this before?

Let's spend a couple of grand for the signs at the southern border with "Canada, 2000 miles that way" on them.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Wonder if the government will give me a nice place to live there....
Only if you're a "refugee" apparently.

Maybe try to get Mexican citizenship? LOL

Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
And, since Canada basically gives them everything needed to live, no questions asked, it's just WAY too easy for us. Hey, why didn't we think of this before?
I think we got the idea from Illinois. Back in the 1970s, Illinois had lots of welfare recipients and they would encourage them to go north into Wisconsin which had much higher benefits and more low income housing for them.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I think we got the idea from Illinois. Back in the 1970s, Illinois had lots of welfare recipients and they would encourage them to go north into Wisconsin which had much higher benefits and more low income housing for them.
Hey, whatever works, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada