U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,073 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

This is absolutely not a joke. It sounds funny,but wait till you move here. You can't find a job,and if you do
find a job,you will be paid the lowest rate of anywhere. It's such a shame too,because your not going to be able to put gas into your car to look for places to rent that you can't afford here. That is,if you can find one available to rent at all. Because,the landlord's here are all OLD PEOPLE. And they don't want anyone living in their house or on their land that smokes,drinks,has more than one vehicle,has kids,pets,is anything other than caucasion,old as well,poor,unmarried,not religious,too religious,fat,on income assistance,has too many belongings,or outside vehicles(motor homes,boats,ski-doo's,quads,motorbikes) has fires,or friends stopping by.
Well,that pretty much rules out everybody,doesn't it?!
They will rent you the top floor of their house,then charge an arm and a leg! All the while,sitting under the floor listening to everything you do and say,spying out the window at you and your coming's and going's,complaining about the noise level of your tv,and how often you go in and out. They will assume you don't know how to cook by asking if your burning your food 'because something smells'. You won't be able to ever do your laundry,because it will always be at a bad time for them,and vacuuming the floor?
Ha! That is too loud,and it will scare them. It's mostly old people that own houses in BC,because younger people under the age of 65 haven't been able to make it(get a job,a career) in order to buy a house.
Schooling is so expensive,and then when you finally finish,you can't find a job.
That's why everyone works at 7 Eleven,Tim Horton's,fast food places,restaurants. Just about everyone gets sick of it here and try's to leave and go away to work up north or in Alberta. And if you can't make any of that happen,then you end up on income assistance.Which does not give enough to make ends meet. Renting a room for $325? That's really hard to find. Then you have to live off of $175 for the rest of the long month. That $175 is supposed to buy your food,personal affects,(deoderant,tampons,phone?-ya right,there goes finding a job!)and anything else you need,car insurance? well,only if you don't want to eat every month.
Forget about gas,if you have a friend,maybe they will push the car for you.
Sure this is a great vacation spot to live. With the roads constantly being worked on,and nothing actually being done,except for making it more bumpy,and getting from A to B is always fun when there's vacationer's RV'S,trucks and boats in the way,they take up all of our beaches,parking lot's,parks,camp grounds,highway's,and our long awaited turn in the grocery store line after work. But not to worry,because with the wage that we make living in bc,we won't be paying rent because we can't afford a house,we won't be in the grocery line because we can't afford food,and we won't be enjoying the beautiful places to see in BC because we can't afford the gas,or the vacation,and we can't get the time off anyway!
We will get the time off in the winter,when we get laid off,because everything shuts down in the winter around here.Hopefully we have found a place to live in by then,or have money to pay for it,otherwise,it's going to be a long winter if we make it through at all. That's living the life-in BC,Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
10,855 posts, read 7,536,729 times
Reputation: 6003
Please, seek help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
1,760 posts, read 1,525,408 times
Reputation: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKTRUTH1 View Post
Renting a room for $325? That's really hard to find. Then you have to live off of $175 for the rest of the long month.
A little bit of math tells me that you're trying to get by on $500 a month. Or, $6000 a year.

What are you expecting at that wage? I do not know of any Canadian city where you can get by on less than five figures of income annually. Perhaps some small remote northern towns, yes; but not the big, southern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM
 
16,126 posts, read 9,148,989 times
Reputation: 11823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKTRUTH1 View Post
This is absolutely not a joke. It sounds funny,but wait till you move here. You can't find a job,and if you do
find a job,you will be paid the lowest rate of anywhere. It's such a shame too,because your not going to be able to put gas into your car to look for places to rent that you can't afford here. That is,if you can find one available to rent at all. Because,the landlord's here are all OLD PEOPLE. And they don't want anyone living in their house or on their land that smokes,drinks,has more than one vehicle,has kids,pets,is anything other than caucasion,old as well,poor,unmarried,not religious,too religious,fat,on income assistance,has too many belongings,or outside vehicles(motor homes,boats,ski-doo's,quads,motorbikes) has fires,or friends stopping by.
Well,that pretty much rules out everybody,doesn't it?!
They will rent you the top floor of their house,then charge an arm and a leg! All the while,sitting under the floor listening to everything you do and say,spying out the window at you and your coming's and going's,complaining about the noise level of your tv,and how often you go in and out. They will assume you don't know how to cook by asking if your burning your food 'because something smells'. You won't be able to ever do your laundry,because it will always be at a bad time for them,and vacuuming the floor?
Ha! That is too loud,and it will scare them. It's mostly old people that own houses in BC,because younger people under the age of 65 haven't been able to make it(get a job,a career) in order to buy a house.
Schooling is so expensive,and then when you finally finish,you can't find a job.
That's why everyone works at 7 Eleven,Tim Horton's,fast food places,restaurants. Just about everyone gets sick of it here and try's to leave and go away to work up north or in Alberta. And if you can't make any of that happen,then you end up on income assistance.Which does not give enough to make ends meet. Renting a room for $325? That's really hard to find. Then you have to live off of $175 for the rest of the long month. That $175 is supposed to buy your food,personal affects,(deoderant,tampons,phone?-ya right,there goes finding a job!)and anything else you need,car insurance? well,only if you don't want to eat every month.
Forget about gas,if you have a friend,maybe they will push the car for you.
Sure this is a great vacation spot to live. With the roads constantly being worked on,and nothing actually being done,except for making it more bumpy,and getting from A to B is always fun when there's vacationer's RV'S,trucks and boats in the way,they take up all of our beaches,parking lot's,parks,camp grounds,highway's,and our long awaited turn in the grocery store line after work. But not to worry,because with the wage that we make living in bc,we won't be paying rent because we can't afford a house,we won't be in the grocery line because we can't afford food,and we won't be enjoying the beautiful places to see in BC because we can't afford the gas,or the vacation,and we can't get the time off anyway!
We will get the time off in the winter,when we get laid off,because everything shuts down in the winter around here.Hopefully we have found a place to live in by then,or have money to pay for it,otherwise,it's going to be a long winter if we make it through at all. That's living the life-in BC,Canada.
This post reminds me vaguely of the sound resultant of putting a 3/8" ball bearing into an empty one gallon gas can and giving it a shake...an annoying discordant noise of no discernable value.

You either need to add another bearing to at least approximate an improvised musical instrument or fill the thing with gas instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,392 posts, read 6,058,383 times
Reputation: 7734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This post reminds me vaguely of the sound resultant of putting a 3/8" ball bearing into an empty one gallon gas can and giving it a shake...an annoying discordant noise of no discernable value.

You either need to add another bearing to at least approximate an improvised musical instrument or fill the thing with gas instead.
I thought it was just me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 03:18 PM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
5,695 posts, read 5,578,352 times
Reputation: 9729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKTRUTH1 View Post

This is absolutely not a joke. It sounds funny,but wait till you move here. ........ Hopefully we have found a place to live in by then,or have money to pay for it,otherwise,it's going to be a long winter if we make it through at all. That's living the life-in BC,Canada.
You have my sympathies but you should have done proper research before moving you and your family to BC. In all of Canada, BC is the very most expensive province and the most difficult place for unskilled newcomers to find jobs. You should have known about that and known that it would be unaffordable for you before moving your family to BC.

Next time you decide to move to a new town/province be sure to do research about it before moving there and be sure you can afford it and that you have a good back-up plan. Look for a location that your research shows is within your financial means and that you have the appropriate education and skills needed for the kinds of jobs in demand. If a place is not within your financial means and you don't have the job skills don't move there. Find something within your means.

Good luck and I hope you find an affordable location for your family to move to before winter sets in.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
5,695 posts, read 5,578,352 times
Reputation: 9729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A little bit of math tells me that you're trying to get by on $500 a month. Or, $6000 a year.

What are you expecting at that wage? I do not know of any Canadian city where you can get by on less than five figures of income annually. Perhaps some small remote northern towns, yes; but not the big, southern cities.
The OP was incorrect about that. S/he is talking about welfare assistance, not an earned wage, and it's no longer $500 a month, the lowest rate is actually $610 now. In BC the welfare rate for a single, able-bodied adult with no dependents is $610 a month and it is only a temporary time-limited benefit so the person MUST find a job and MUST take what they can get.

If it is an able-bodied person with dependents the rates are adjusted upwards to support the needs of the dependents but the recipient must still find a job and become self-supporting within a certain time limit (by the time the youngest child is in school) or risk having their children removed from their care if they can't support their children.

In BC a disabled single individual who is permanently unable to work due to their disability receives a maximum of $906 a month to live on.

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-17-2014 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,336,413 times
Reputation: 9697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKTRUTH1 View Post
This is absolutely not a joke. It sounds funny,but wait till you move here. You can't find a job,and if you do
find a job,you will be paid the lowest rate of anywhere. It's such a shame too,because your not going to be able to put gas into your car to look for places to rent that you can't afford here. That is,if you can find one available to rent at all. Because,the landlord's here are all OLD PEOPLE. And they don't want anyone living in their house or on their land that smokes,drinks,has more than one vehicle,has kids,pets,is anything other than caucasion,old as well,poor,unmarried,not religious,too religious,fat,on income assistance,has too many belongings,or outside vehicles(motor homes,boats,ski-doo's,quads,motorbikes) has fires,or friends stopping by.
Well,that pretty much rules out everybody,doesn't it?!
They will rent you the top floor of their house,then charge an arm and a leg! All the while,sitting under the floor listening to everything you do and say,spying out the window at you and your coming's and going's,complaining about the noise level of your tv,and how often you go in and out. They will assume you don't know how to cook by asking if your burning your food 'because something smells'. You won't be able to ever do your laundry,because it will always be at a bad time for them,and vacuuming the floor?
Ha! That is too loud,and it will scare them. It's mostly old people that own houses in BC,because younger people under the age of 65 haven't been able to make it(get a job,a career) in order to buy a house.
Schooling is so expensive,and then when you finally finish,you can't find a job.
That's why everyone works at 7 Eleven,Tim Horton's,fast food places,restaurants. Just about everyone gets sick of it here and try's to leave and go away to work up north or in Alberta. And if you can't make any of that happen,then you end up on income assistance.Which does not give enough to make ends meet. Renting a room for $325? That's really hard to find. Then you have to live off of $175 for the rest of the long month. That $175 is supposed to buy your food,personal affects,(deoderant,tampons,phone?-ya right,there goes finding a job!)and anything else you need,car insurance? well,only if you don't want to eat every month.
Forget about gas,if you have a friend,maybe they will push the car for you.
Sure this is a great vacation spot to live. With the roads constantly being worked on,and nothing actually being done,except for making it more bumpy,and getting from A to B is always fun when there's vacationer's RV'S,trucks and boats in the way,they take up all of our beaches,parking lot's,parks,camp grounds,highway's,and our long awaited turn in the grocery store line after work. But not to worry,because with the wage that we make living in bc,we won't be paying rent because we can't afford a house,we won't be in the grocery line because we can't afford food,and we won't be enjoying the beautiful places to see in BC because we can't afford the gas,or the vacation,and we can't get the time off anyway!
We will get the time off in the winter,when we get laid off,because everything shuts down in the winter around here.Hopefully we have found a place to live in by then,or have money to pay for it,otherwise,it's going to be a long winter if we make it through at all. That's living the life-in BC,Canada.
Maybe the bolded misspelled words are why you can't find a job other than in fast food.
It is also customary to leave spaces between words.
Were you trying to find a job as an English teacher? I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 PM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 853,363 times
Reputation: 1115
BC is ridiculously expensive and not just real estate but in nearly everything. It also offers few job opportunities, low wage scales, and Canada's smallest middle class and the nation's highest child and general poverty rate.

This however is well known across Canada and BC meaning "bring cash" has been around since the 90s. It's very unfortunate for people born here having to leave their province for greener pastures or having a life of servitude to the banks but you should have looked this up before moving.

BC is Canada's Cinderella province.......beautiful but poor and a 2 minute look at any Google site would have told you that and you wouldn't be near as surprised. Poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on BC's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top