U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 AM

74 posts, read 94,364 times

Advertisements

Will be visiting Quebec city in winter. Will be staying in old Quebec.
Have questions!

Are all restaurant menus in French? Can I ask for a menu in English? Every restaurant website I went to lists their menu in Frenh (ex Zen)] I don't speak any french.

Are there any vegan restaurants or at least cafes or restaurants where there are vegan choices (no meat, dairy and eggs) Can you give me a list pls of vegan friendly places.

Any coffee/tea houses you could recommend in old Quebec? We are coffee/tea lovers.

Any places where I can have gluhwein, grog (mulled warm wine with spices mmm)???
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM

20,309 posts, read 25,125,926 times
Can't help you with too many details right now but restaurants in the old city where there are lots of tourists should have menus in English.

Just a tip:

The word you are looking for is "végétalien" = vegan.

Végétarien as you can imagine = vegetarian.

You may also find the femine on these words: végétalienne as in "cuisine végétalienne".

Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,688,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofpearls View Post
Have questions!

Are all restaurant menus in French? Can I ask for a menu in English? Every restaurant website I went to lists their menu in Frenh (ex Zen)] I don't speak any french.

Are there any vegan restaurants or at least cafes or restaurants where there are vegan choices (no meat, dairy and eggs) Can you give me a list pls of vegan friendly places.

Any coffee/tea houses you could recommend in old Quebec? We are coffee/tea lovers.

Any places where I can have gluhwein, grog (mulled warm wine with spices mmm)???
Here's a list of vegan or vegan-friendly places in Quebec City (in French):

Où manger végétalien à Québec ? - Vegan Québec

You may know of this website:

Vegan Food Is Everywhere

You can sometimes ask for an English menu in restaurants that are in the Old Town (Vieux-Québec), but most of your vegan options will be out of the Old Town. At many places the menu will only be in French but your server will be able to translate it for you.

There are plenty of good coffeehouses across the city, none particularly come to mind at this moment. For tea, there's Sebz (67 René-Lévesque Est). A few places will have glühwein on a seasonal basis, I know Le Cercle (226 St-Joseph Est) did in December last year.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,986,465 times
Perhaps , since you say that you will be there in winter..............

You could try learning some simple phrases, in French , that you could use, while in the Province of Quebec. Part of the fun of international travel is being in a different language milieu.

The internet has a number of translator websites, where you write a sentence in English, and the program translates the sentence into French. And vice versa.

Now for some basic facts. Some people in Quebec may be vegans, and any smart restaurant operator will be sure to have some menu items that meet their requirements. And, those same smart restaurant operators will ALSO have some staff who speak English, to serve you. Relax.

Some other suggestions, while in Canada. Go to a ATM here, and take out some Canadian currency, to use for small purchases. Business operators in Canada are not required to accept any currency that is NOT Canadian. If they DO accept it, they do not have to give you any specific exchange rate, and the change given will be in Canadian currency. Remember that as a Canadian, I cannot use Canadian money in YOUR country, can I ......

Traffic signs in Quebec are in French, so get used to it. Speed signs in all of Canada, are in Metric, not miles per hour. Distances are in kilometres, and temperature is in Celsius, not F.

25C is a nice warm day, 35C is a boiling hot day. In winter, a temp of - 20 C is a really cold day, and you will want to be wearing layers of clothing, and a wool hat and gloves, and winter boots when you go outside. Dress for the weather.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Should I ask for vin chaud (ven shoo???) or will people understand if I say gluhwein.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Traffic signs in Quebec are in French, so get used to it. Speed signs in all of Canada, are in Metric, not miles per hour. Distances are in kilometres, and temperature is in Celsius, not F.

25C is a nice warm day, 35C is a boiling hot day. In winter, a temp of - 20 C is a really cold day, and you will want to be wearing layers of clothing, and a wool hat and gloves, and winter boots when you go outside. Dress for the weather.

Jim B. Toronto.
Good point about currency. Didn't think of that.
Kilometres, kg, cm and celsius is all better. I am originally from Europe so this is actually great!!! I can't get used to American F and miles even after 5 years

I would appreciate a list of places where I can order vin chaud, as it sounds like we will be mostly drinking rather than eating...

Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,688,575 times
Quote:
Should I ask for vin chaud (ven shoo???) or will people understand if I say gluhwein.
Vin chaud (show not shoo) would be better -- few people would understand glühwein unless that's what they actually call their drink.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 PM

4,670 posts, read 7,953,870 times
Quote:
Gluhwein is frankly just not a common beverage in Quebec, the area has little German heritage. There is a local drink that is somewhat similar however called Caribou. It is hot wine mixed with whiskey, maple syrup, and spices. Beware - it is more alcoholic then German gluhwein is. The pronunciation of vin chaud sounds more like "vayn show".

Old 07-19-2014, 01:57 AM

32,831 posts, read 38,288,336 times
Quote:
Have questions!
As your trip is 5 months away you might want to put some serious effort into learning some basic French so you can expand your Quebec City experience.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:35 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,152,067 times
Also, you can make a ton of mulled wine for the cost of a glass in a restaurant anyways. It's just a bunch of Eastern spices (star anise, ginger, nutmeg), orange, zest, and sugar heated with wine in a pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or