Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM

85 posts, read 319,020 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am an American who is interested in finishing my college career in Canada. I am currently a community college student who is seeking to transfer to a university, but it's just so expensive in the United States. I have tried transferring to several different universities in the past but just couldn't find enough loans, grants and scholarships and whatnot to afford them. Canadian universities on the other hand all seem to have much lower tuition rates in general which is what has piqued my interest in going to Canada for school instead. Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal would be the cities I prefer, in that order. So here are my questions:

1. What would some of the best universities be for English and Journalism majors?

2. Do credits from colleges in the states transfer? And vice versa?

3. Would a bachelor's degree from a Canadian university be recognized in America? While I am a bit open to the idea, I'm not sure if I would like to stay in Canada permanently which is why I ask.

4. This may be a cliche question, but due to just how many conflicting stories i've heard, how would I be received as an African-American? I know racism and *******s exist everywhere of course, I just want to know exactly what to expect as I know it's not the same story as it is in America.

5. How's the interracial dating scene?

6. Is it possible for international college students to find employment while they are in school?

Also, feel free to add anything else that you feel is helpful. Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
If you think US universities are too expensive here, I would definitely scratch Canada off your list. Their universities are pretty affordable....for Canadian permanent residents and citizens only. You will be charged international fees, which will make university more expensive even for out of province Canadian students. International fees are usually 100% of out-of-province fees. Expect to pay no less than CAN$24,000 per year for full-time study, plus the cost of room and board

Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 AM

254 posts, read 316,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you think US universities are too expensive here, I would definitely scratch Canada off your list. Their universities are pretty affordable....for Canadian permanent residents and citizens only. You will be charged international fees, which will make university more expensive even for out of province Canadian students. International fees are usually 100% of out-of-province fees. Expect to pay no less than CAN$24,000 per year for full-time study, plus the cost of room and board
That's if you go to U of Toronto or McGill or some other big university. You could go to a less well-known one, or a college, and pay $25-30k total (tuition, room and board and medical costs included).

Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
That's if you go to U of Toronto or McGill or some other big university. You could go to a less well-known one, or a college, and pay $25-30k total (tuition, room and board and medical costs included).
Looked up Ryerson University, which seems to be a lesser known university in Toronto. Starting tuition rate is, I'm rounding the numbers up, starting from $17,000 a year, plus $9400 a year for room and board (could be more expensive). So already that is over $20,000, cheaper than U Toronto (which was the previous university I looked up), but still more expensive than attending an American university here as an out of state student (which is about $15,000 a year tuition plus room and board and other expenses). All in all, university in Canada is more expensive for international students than an American studying at home. Plus the cost of visas, and if he has trouble getting funding for a US school, there's no way he'll get funding from a Canadian school. FAFSA does not pay 100% of costs for international unis, which they would do for US unis through government loans or grants. The only countries where international students are not charged an arm and a leg are countries like France, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, possibly Austria. The English speaking countries have the most expensive unis in the world

Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM

254 posts, read 316,235 times
On the other hand, I don't think that American colleges that are that cheap are exactly comparable to the Canadian ones in terms of quality of teaching.

As far as tuition rates go

Tuition fees by university

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
If you want cheap tuition try moving to Texas and getting in-state residency. Their tuition really is extremely cheap.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
On the other hand, I don't think that American colleges that are that cheap are exactly comparable to the Canadian ones in terms of quality of teaching.

As far as tuition rates go

Tuition fees by university
On the other hand, if you read the OP in its entirety, he is concerned about cost. His claim is that American unis are too expensive and Canadian ones seem to offer a better deal. Well, I want to ask the OP a few questions. First, are you basing your costs on attending university in another state rather than Nevada? Because the University of Nevada Las Vegas charges $4703.28 per year (24 credits) including the fees, for Nevada residents. Now, some of those unis that KingSamme listed are actually cheaper than attending a uni as an out of state resident in many, if not most states, here. However, you need to find out if FAFSA is willing to cover the cost of attending a Canadian uni. What good is attending a $10,000 Canadian uni if the government is only willing to pay for, let's say, $5000 when the US will cover a $15,000 out of state uni in its entirety? It's not just about cost, it's about getting the funds in the first place. If the OP is having a hard time getting the funds even when he is in the US, I seriously have my doubts he can get the funds for Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
If you want cheap tuition try moving to Texas and getting in-state residency. Their tuition really is extremely cheap.
Texas is marginally cheaper than his state Nevada. Not worth paying for a year as an out of state student for ~$4000 Texas tuition when Nevada is still under $5000 a year

Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM

85 posts, read 319,020 times
that's the thing. I'm aware that many colleges all across the US are far cheaper if you happen to be a permanent resident of that state, but I'm a resident of Nevada. My community college has given me more than enough stress, and UNLV is HORRIBLE so no interest in transferring there. UNR is better but not by much, and Reno just doesn't seem like a stimulating environment for me at all.

I would be totally fine with moving to another state and living there for a year until I have residency and can pay in-state tuition for college if I had the means to do so, but the reality is I don't. Of the cities that interest me (NYC, Chicago, SF/The Bay Area, Seattle, Philly, DC, New Orleans, Minneanapolis and Denver) I can't seem to find any universities which have tuition that's less than $15,000 for out of state students, and I have no interest in going to college in a small town or rural area. What can I say, the college town life just doesn't seem like my style, which is why I became interested in going to college in a big city in Canada.

That being said, before I looked at this forum again, I did do some more research and realized for myself just how much higher tuition was for international students, along with just how complicated the process of applying to a college in another country really is and have decided against it. Thanks again for the pointers everyone.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM

88 posts, read 205,558 times
Yup, it's just as expensive as American schools if you have to pay international fees. As a huge generalization, I prefer the curriculum of a Canadian school vs American one ... there are slight differences in education you would have noticed, had you chosen to go to Canada.

How far you along in your degree - 2 years of community college? I think thats a great start .... especially for money saving. If you only have a couple years left, I would suck it up and finish my degree at an in-state school. You will be thankful later when you don't have to deal with the enormous (30k+) student debts some of your classmates will graduate with.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
If you're considering university in Canada, then make sure to learn the difference in terminology. In Canada, college is not just another word for university. A college in Ontario is more of a vocational school that focuses on career training and usually offers 2 year degrees.

Also, I would just transfer to a school in your own state. They will accept your community college credits and let you finish in two more years. If you go to a university in Canada you will likely only get credit for some portion of the courses you already took. Most state schools have transfer agreements with the community colleges in their state that make it easy to transfer and get a four year degree, but once you go to another state, the courses don't always match up, so you'll end up taking 2.5 or even 3 additional years to get your four year degree, rather than just 2 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada