U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM

127 posts, read 870,802 times

Advertisements

I was looking for suggestions to good camping spots in central Ontario. Specifically in the area close to the triangle between Timmons, Sudbury, and Sault Ste Marie. Would love a quiet spot on a lake with plenty of good fishing, but not TOO far from a town with neccessities. Doesn't have to be a big town though, I am willing to drive a little way if I need to. Any ideas or even thoughts on the area would be terrific...
Also, would I be able to get along okay with the locals up there? It'll be my brother and I and we are a couple of young aussie blokes, so are Ontario-ens pretty accepting of aussies?
Thanks in advance,
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,119,314 times
You'll get along great with everyone. Friendly people up here, but I'm warning you, it's can be boring. There's not much to do. But you said you wanted to go fishing and we have 1000s of lakes.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/

These parks are nice, but you have to be quiet by 11 pm. They don't allow partying etc. as they are family parks.

If you go north of Timmins you're going to LOVE the fishing. I know it's good but I'm not a fisherman and I've never been fishing up there, I just hear stories. The area is great for bear hunting. Many Americans in the fall.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...immins&spell=1

The Sudbury area isn't that great, as far as I'm aware. Sudbury is the largest city in the areas you mentioned but completely boring.

Manitoulin Island is beautiful. That's a little west of Sudbury on you way to Sault Saint Marie. It is the largest fresh water island in the world. Within the island is the largest lake within the largest fresh water island in the world. Then there are islands within the lake within the island. There are hardly no Mosquitoes because the island is mostly limestone.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...in+island&meta=

Killarney is 40 miles south of Sudbury and it's God's country.

You can go fishing on Lake Huron from either Killarney or Manitoulin Island.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=killarney&meta=

You can email people on these links for more detailed info. If you have more questions you can always ask here and I'll tell you whatever I can.

Have fun.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM

6,377 posts, read 3,565,296 times
(updating a 10-year old thread)

Hello, I'm going to Ontario in July. Before going to Toronto I wanted to go canping in some natural park like maybe Algonquin or Kawartha Highlands. Probably renting a car.

Are there camping sites with wooden houses ? Not thinking about bringing a tent on the plane.

Is a permit necessary ? Are there sites with basic facilities like water / toilets / etc ?

What should I bring ? Thanks !

Old 06-26-2018, 06:16 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,140,728 times
Yes, Algonquin has "roofed accommodation" (cottages, yurts, cabins).

https://www.ontarioparks.com/roofedaccommodation

(zoom the map to Algonquin).

Yes, there are toilets and running water.

Permit? There may be an entrance ticket, but they run under $21 or so. You would have to bring basic food with you. Maybe you could survive on sandwiches. Maybe you will want to cook, then some kind of portable stove. Or, you could cook above the fire, as camping sites have fireplaces.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:33 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Don't forget the bug repellent....Black flies by day and mosquitoes by night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

Old 06-27-2018, 05:56 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
Just don't go into the Muskoka area. The fishing sucks and the prices for everything (food, lodging, touristy stores) are outrageous! The cottages are HUGE, more like houses and wall to wall on some lakes.

It's a beautiful area though.

If you want good fishing (Walleye or Northern Pike), go up to Chapleau Ontario. It is very pristine. Lots of lakes and nice (basic) fishing camps with cabins.

Just make SURE you bring fly spray. LOTS. The mosquitoes and little wee flies called Blackflies are very hungry up there. They drive moose out onto the roads often because they go crazy in the bush getting bit.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:06 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
Oh, and you'll have to buy a fishing permit and pick up a fishing regulations book to KNOW how many fish you may keep.

That depends on what kind of fish you are catching and WHERE you are catching them. Each area has different laws.

Have a great holiday. I think/hope you'll find people you meet up in the bush will be very nice, and interested in hearing where you're from, etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:57 AM

6,377 posts, read 3,565,296 times
thanks !

wasn't thinking on fishing, more like regular trekking, etc.

Actually I think I'm going to rent a house in the frontenac area and do daily trips in the woods with some sandwiches because as much as I love camping, it's too complicated to bring it all on a plane trip that also includes a stay in Montréal at a friend's place and then several days in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or