Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, please. You lose all credibility if you say that with a straight face.
Don't give me this Oh, Please tude miss thang... lol... Outside of the taxes I pay - no I don't!! Trust me, I'm more than aware of the deductions from my paycheque every two weeks so of course I pay but I like that it comes from my gross income vis a vie taxes and what I net I don't have to worry about unexpected HC expenses.. Having said that believe it or not - For every dollar Canadians pay for HC - Americans pay 2 dollars so its still a bargain here!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Okay, thanks. As you just stated, you definitely do pay. Taxes count as paying. I get really tired of this "But we have freeeeeee healthcare" nonsense.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Okay, thanks. As you just stated, you definitely do pay. Taxes count as paying. I get really tired of this "But we have freeeeeee healthcare" nonsense.
No no of course its not free.. I pay almost what some people make in a month in Federal taxes because I make a good wage so yeah i'm aware it isn't free - but the cost of our HC as a whole - as with our education system is a huge bargain compared to what Americans pay..

Old 09-23-2014, 05:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
After a lifetime of work for King and country and after I retire I plan on living the cold winter months out in S.E Asia... Ultra cheap, exotic, amazing food and culture so for me a retirement in the U.S during cold winter months is not a good value proposition.
Ooooooo. That sounds nice!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post

Me? I was pleasentaly surprised with what living in the US has brought me. I am extremely happy here, and wouldn't ever move back Vancouver .
ILikeMike, so you are legally able to work in the US and in the process of being a US citizen?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To clarify, since that statement can be misleading. The FEDERAL minimum for paid holidays is two weeks.
Each province sets additional paid holidays. Ontario seems to be the odd one out with no provision for more than the federal allowance.

http://www.canadaone.com/ezine/july0...tvacation.html

Also paid maternity/paternity leave is another Canadian bonus.
Social programs are better in Canada. Most people know that.

Regarding holiday time Canada overall is better than the US where one quarter of workers are not entitled to holiday time. But once again, white collar, educated Canadians are not moving to the US for the types of jobs that have bad conditions like no holidays.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
and have not paid one penny in my life for HC..
Canadian universal medicare is a good system which I support but this is not an accurate statement. You've never had prescription drugs? Or seen an optometrist? What about vaccinations? Ambulance rides? Crutches?

There is a bunch of stuff that is not covered by the government plan, and although many people have private insurance to cover the difference (often through their work), there is usually an out of pocket you have to pay.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canadian universal medicare is a good system which I support but this is not an accurate statement. You've never had prescription drugs? Or seen an optometrist? What about vaccinations? Ambulance rides? Crutches?

There is a bunch of stuff that is not covered by the government plan, and although many people have private insurance to cover the difference (often through their work), there is usually an out of pocket you have to pay.
I was speaking to basic HC coverage as in going to a hospital or doctor for a medical ailment - in the U.S there has been an out of pocket expense associated with that visit for many people or even denied coverage - even though they have insurance through work.. We don't have to worry about that in Canada so it is easier to manage costs because there is nothing unexpected for basic health coverage, regardless of the ailment - whether going to the Doc for the Flu or going to get a Tumour excised and blasted with chemo and radiation - the out of pocket expense for at point of use for those things is NIL to the user - no private insurance plans, co-pays required for those fundamental HC services. Yes i'm aware of federal tax deductions off the paycheque and that the system isn't free.

As for Prescription drugs - optometrist visits, acupuncture, massages and chiropractic care - I have 100 percent coverage through extended plan at work for those things so no I don't pay for them - crutches and ambulance ride or even semi private room in the hospital don't have to pay for either i'm covered. I do have Dental limits and that is the one expense that I have incurred costs - largest of which was 1200 dollars when I got an implant to replace a fractured tooth after falling off a camel in Egypt. The only other cost I have incurred was due to going over my 350 dollar limit for prescription glasses - I got a sweet pair of frames and the glasses cost 450 bucks so I paid 100 dollars out of pocket for my designer glasses.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-23-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Ooooooo. That sounds nice!

Yeah - Phuket or Palm Springs.... hmmmmm not a difficult choice for me! I feel like some Tom Yum Soup!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
ILikeMike, so you are legally able to work in the US and in the process of being a US citizen?
hmmmm - interested in seeing what the response to this will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada