Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
That must have been an amazing experience.

LMAO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Wait till you're standing a mid's watch on the quarterdeck in the north Atlantic with spume cascading over you and watching the safety guideline stanchions changing their relative vertical position to each other down the full length of the ship. Now THAT'S uncomfortable.

Clearing lower decks and everyone turning too with chipping hammers to break thick ice layers off of superstructure to bring a DDE back into ballast trim is also no fun.

Sailor's are never content, especially ERA's & stokers when all summer long you can't wait to get out of the engine/boiler rooms and all winter long you can't wait to get back down there.

This little event, if it does nothing else, will highlight Canada's need for ocean going tugs to be more readily available in those waters. The Coasties have their role but it ain't carrying hawser's and bollard installations big enough to attempt towing of large vessels in violent seas.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM

320 posts, read 480,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wait till you're standing a mid's watch on the quarterdeck in the north Atlantic with spume cascading over you and watching the safety guideline stanchions changing their relative vertical position to each other down the full length of the ship. Now THAT'S uncomfortable.

Clearing lower decks and everyone turning too with chipping hammers to break thick ice layers off of superstructure to bring a DDE back into ballast trim is also no fun.

Sailor's are never content, especially ERA's & stokers when all summer long you can't wait to get out of the engine/boiler rooms and all winter long you can't wait to get back down there.

This little event, if it does nothing else, will highlight Canada's need for ocean going tugs to be more readily available in those waters. The Coasties have their role but it ain't carrying hawser's and bollard installations big enough to attempt towing of large vessels in violent seas.
BruSan, I didn't understand a word of this. But...it sounds good!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
BruSan, I didn't understand a word of this. But...it sounds good!
Hey you should hear me describe my recipe for a seafood Paella.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
Why didn't the people of "Haida Gwaii" deal with this themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM

I have an answer but I'd open a can of worms if I were to verbalize (type) it.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Deep sea rescue is a learned perversion. I spent some time on a USN Salvage tug (USS Preserver ARS-4). Getting a tow line aboard a drifting ship in a storm is about as bad as it gets. Many credits to the sailors that did the job.

I also spent a some very long hours on a USN DE (USS Coats) off Nova Scotia in a winter Nor'easter. Great fun was had by all.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 AM

We are now hearing about a "barge" floating aimlessly about in the Beaufort Sea after breaking it's tether with it's tug in seas no meteorologist predicted for the period. this is not a big deal but coming as it does right on the heels of the Russian container ship losing power and all the Haida Guaii hyperbole shot across our bows due to Gateway project; of course, the screaming press is milking it for all it's worth.

Once again, response will be lacking from area due to most tugs of non-ice breaking capability already having been put up on the ways for the winter and any of the ice breaking capable type being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

AND once again the danger to the environment being overblown by greenies with agendas with constant mention of over 3,000 litres of diesel on board. The diesel is merely fuel for the on-board winches and auxiliary power etc., while the barge itself was already unloaded and being towed home.

We really need to get a grip on this hysteria of reportage coming at us from relatively minor sources.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Deep sea rescue is a learned perversion. I spent some time on a USN Salvage tug (USS Preserver ARS-4). Getting a tow line aboard a drifting ship in a storm is about as bad as it gets. Many credits to the sailors that did the job.

I also spent a some very long hours on a USN DE (USS Coats) off Nova Scotia in a winter Nor'easter. Great fun was had by all.
The old art of tossing a Monkey's fist has long since been consigned to history in seas like that but picking straws to decide who goes aft on the low-sided deck of a tug to fire the line can't be much fun either. I can easily picture everyone trying to hide among the upper deck machinery lest the deck officer put his beady eye on you for that duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada