Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Let's turn tables. A woman boss of yours, or a woman tv personality, after a night of charming date, close-fists you in a hotel room. Will you accuse her in public?
That's a bad example. You forget that misogyny runs deep in our society. Most guys would report it just for the fame and possibility of getting money from the "rich female boss".

A good example would be of assault against a man: say your girl-friend physically assaults you - would you report it to the cops?

Many studies have been done on this. Most men never report "getting their ** whooped" by women .... mainly out of shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
When I said they are to blame, I meant it is their fault not to have press charged, or at least accuse them in public out of fear of embarrassment. Didn't you understand that?
No, I didn't understand that. But they DID accuse them in public in spite of their fear of embarrassment.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I would without a doubt.
Well, beh.... Of course I omitted all the leading up events, the charming part, the cuddling, the flirt, the aura of a famous person... The amicality that would put you at ease (the way she would charm all her guests), the doe-eyes..., the hand on your thigh, the build-up.... the fun, you being smitten.... Etc etc

Can't believe I have to break it down on here. Please don't say again that the world is black and white only.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
That's a bad example. You forget that misogyny runs deep in our society. Most guys would report it just for the fame and possibility of getting money from the "rich female boss".

A good example would be of assault against a man: say your girl-friend physically assaults you - would you report it to the cops?

Many studies have been done on this. Most men never report "getting their ** whooped" by women .... mainly out of shame.
Good post. And I think this is why many men can't relate - it is something that they can't envision happening to them.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post

Good point.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I never said that she isn't telling the truth; I'm suggesting that there will be people who won't consider her to be credible based on how she's describing what happened.

Such as?

Oh, now I get where you're coming from.

Take a look at this webpage and tell me if the police are not taking this issue seriously.
Domestic Violence

Again, your responses are just generalizations and assumptions, almost to the point of being irrational and paranoid.
Are you usually this defensive?

I believe we are actually agreeing that there are people who won't consider her credible based on how she described what happened. And that would be the reason she didn't go to the police.

And as far as what the official position of the law is regarding domestic violence, the reality, especially with regards to sexual assaults is quite different as you also seem to be saying with your first sentence - that based on how she described what happened, she may not be believed. Similar situations have only fairly recently been named as date rape. Are you familiar with the term?

You also seem to have a problem recognising what a generalisation is and seem to think that the term "generalisation' equates to something untrue, rather than a statement such as "it is generally true that the person most likely to murder you is known to the victim." It is generally also true that if that many women come forward with the same story, generally there must be something to it.

Unless you're related to the accused and feel bound to defend them in the face of all possible evidence, to think otherwise is generally considered irrational.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
This is an example of why the legal system has a much higher standard when it comes to determining guilt and punishment than the "court of public opinion".

You seem to be implying that higher status occupation means more credibility. Maybe the real problem is that many victims of sexual assaults are lower class and are reluctant to deal with the elitists who people the social services network in their area?
I agree with you again - the legal system should have a higher standard when it comes to determining guilt or innocence - we, however, are not the legal system and are allowed to have opinions.

I have no idea where you are coming from at all about the bolded line. All we know about any of the victims is that one is an air force captain (or something) and one is a lawyer. We have no idea about the occupations of any of the others. However, it is also true that more weight is given the word of so-called respectable members of society than say, a street hooker.

I have no doubt at all that your second sentence is true.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:34 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
Nah, I just replied because I think role-reversals are stupid. Women always seem to think that it's a knock out punch in an discussion (no pun intended), but whenever it's used in a context that illustrates how there is a double-standard against men, it's sexist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Well, beh.... Of course I omitted all the leading up events, the charming part, the cuddling, the flirt, the aura of a famous person... The amicality that would put you at ease (the way she would charm all her guests), the doe-eyes..., the hand on your thigh, the build-up.... the fun, you being smitten.... Etc etc

Can't believe I have to break it down on here. Please don't say again that the world is black and white only.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
There's nothing defensive about my posts. I think you lack objectivity due to ideology and this causes you to generalize and make assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Are you usually this defensive?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Nah, I just replied because I think role-reversals are stupid. Women always seem to think that it's a knock out punch in an discussion (no pun intended), but whenever it's used in a context that illustrates how there is a double-standard against men, it's sexist.
Noted. Replaced with sandman249's example with a girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada