Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Number one, since we're not the ones with the biggest stick, I don't think the Americans will ever want a more open border with us or anyone else. It might have been possible before 9/11 but the paranoia factor, imo, will persist for a generation to come at least.

In other words, it hardly matters what Canadians might think about the issue.

This is sadly true what you say about our 9-11 paranoia. We have increased security everywhere, and much of it doesn't protect us from anything. The border problems that exist today between Canada and the US are because of this. The terrorists won in the respect that we reacted this way. Hopefully some sanity will return, but people are often willing to trade freedom for security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
It's downright embarrassing in this day and age that virtually no Canadians or Americans can easily live and work on both sides of the border. Politicians in Ottawa and in Washington should hang their heads in shame.
Meh. I prefer it the way it is. I don't want Canadians and Americans to be able to come and go as they see fit to freely live and work on both sides of the border. There's less trouble with the unsavoury and criminal elements the way it is now and making it easier for criminals to come and go is not my idea of progress.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:52 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Meh. I prefer it the way it is. I don't want Canadians and Americans to be able to come and go as they see fit to freely live and work on both sides of the border. There's less trouble with the unsavoury and criminal elements the way it is now and making it easier for criminals to come and go is not my idea of progress.

If there were ever to be that kind of agreement I agree that we still would need to check people for criminal history before they cross. No one wants to see criminals take advantage of any new freedom. The Europeans have made it work, they must have a good system in place to protect themselves from that kind of thing (I would hope) If we were ever to do it in North America the Europeans have kinda piloted the idea for us. I am sure we could learn from what they did.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And that's one of the single-most disgusting reasons that governments in otherwise similarly situated states want such regulations and laws: control. To control people's movements and freedom, more particularly. And preying upon people's fears, even if those fears are irrational or unfounded, is one of the oldest tricks in the book to keep border controls up and to stop the free flow of goods, people, services, and even ideas in some extreme cases. As you've experienced efforts to exert control first hand when entering the United States in the past, you should be somewhat familiar with them.

I'm not keen on being forced to answer to people and being restricted from moving to places where I'd enjoy life a great deal more when I'm a law-abiding North American. I want to be left alone to live a peaceful life, largely free from government interference and attempts at control as long as I'm well-behaved. There should be no border controls between Canada and the States and baddies should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law wherever they happen to be found. I don't much care from where those baddies happen to come. All I care about is what's done with them.

Last edited by maclock; 11-08-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
It would be incredibly easy to fix. Incredibly easy. The problem is what's good for the people isn't often accorded high priority (if it even makes it on to the priority lists of powerful politicians at all). Sorting out the border problem is a no-brainer.
The US is having enough trouble sorting out its fu*ked up immigration system as is. The chances of them actually coordinating free border movement with another country is next to impossible in the current climate.

I agree with you though, but I think they should start with true immigration reform, then ramp up the visa allotment to a level that the petitions are not fully exhausted by spring of each year. Allowing people to freely apply for Visas and employment opportunities anywhere in the world sounds good to me, plus I have no idea why a nation would not want to attract the best and most qualified no matter where they may come from. Pandering to xenophobic, low work ethic voters who are afraid of competition is beyond comprehension to me.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
First part - suuuuure its just because you are a BIG NYC and MTL fanboy... Who are you kidding lol ... As for the woman I agree - especially when she said that to a Venezuelan immigrant to Canada but I do think T.O's hyper-diversity and F.O.B type at that is not exactly typical on our continent.. As for my nitpicking - details are good... no lol.
Guilty as charged, I do love me some Montreal.

I think it is somewhat unique, but from personal experience the only people I know who travel to Toronto and come back and comment about the diversity are typically the less cultured ones. The folks who grew up in large cities and travel expensively, typically comment on other features and are less impressed by seeing tons of people that look and speak differently than themselves. I will say this, overwhelmingly people who visit TO dig the city and want to return.

Details are great, no issue there at all.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Guilty as charged, I do love me some Montreal.

I think it is somewhat unique, but from personal experience the only people I know who travel to Toronto and come back and comment about the diversity are typically the less cultured ones. The folks who grew up in large cities and travel expensively, typically comment on other features and are less impressed by seeing tons of people that look and speak differently than themselves. I will say this, overwhelmingly people who visit TO dig the city and want to return.

Details are great, no issue there at all.
Ha - yes re MTL I know and that is ok I have a soft spot for it too.

I don't know so much if I agree with the middle part.. I think T.O is on another level when it comes to full spectrum depth/breadth of ethnic diversity so I think it is a palpable difference to most places .. Red John is a pretty smart and cultured guy and he's even commented on it and I've heard it b4.. He's also the type that would actually dig beyond just a DT core of a place too though!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ha - yes re MTL I know and that is ok I have a soft spot for it too.

I don't know so much if I agree with the middle part.. I think T.O is on another level when it comes to full spectrum depth/breadth of ethnic diversity so I think it is a palpable difference to most places .. Red John is a pretty smart and cultured guy and he's even commented on it and I've heard it b4.. He's also the type that would actually dig beyond just a DT core of a place too though!
I respect your opinion and view on this, but I stand by my experience. It isn't that you do not notice the diversity, people are not blind, but stating its a selling point of a city when visiting is kind of weird to me. People that focus so strongly on that come across as sheltered to an extent.

Of course much of the people I have spoken to about their visits to Toronto over the past 5 plus years have been co-workers. The nature of the business I work in might be a reason for people not being overly impressed by people that speak and look differently than themselves. Considering we spend more time working with foreign entities than local on a daily basis.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I respect your opinion and view on this, but I stand by my experience. It isn't that you do not notice the diversity, people are not blind, but stating its a selling point of a city when visiting is kind of weird to me. People that focus so strongly on that come across as sheltered to an extent.

Of course much of the people I have spoken to about their visits to Toronto over the past 5 plus years have been co-workers. The nature of the business I work in might be a reason for people not being overly impressed by people that speak and look differently than themselves. Considering we spend more time working with foreign entities than local on a daily basis.
Well, for what it's worth... my kids aren't professionals with international careers but when they walk around Yonge and Dundas in Toronto they don't go "OMG this place is so diverse! There's people of all shapes, sizes and colours here! I just can't believe it!"

And they're growing up in friggin' Gatineau.

They've had black kids, Italian kids, Asian kids, Latin American kids, Arab kids, friends who have sisters or mothers with muslim headscarves... in their classes pretty much every year. So going to a place where there is 25% (or whatever) more of all sorts of people from around the world, isn't something that will really jump out at them.

To be quite frank, they are more *impressed* when we go to parts of the States where (seemingly) everyone is black and there are no whites around.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, for what it's worth... my kids aren't professionals with international careers but when they walk around Yonge and Dundas in Toronto they don't go "OMG this place is so diverse! There's people of all shapes, sizes and colours here! I just can't believe it!"

And they're growing up in friggin' Gatineau.

They've had black kids, Italian kids, Asian kids, Latin American kids, Arab kids, friends who have sisters or mothers with muslim headscarves... in their classes pretty much every year. So going to a place where there is 25% (or whatever) more of all sorts of people from around the world, isn't something that will really jump out at them.

To be quite frank, they are more *impressed* when we go to parts of the States where (seemingly) everyone is black and there are no whites around.
Bang on the money, thank you for articulating it so clearly.

That is why children are great, they are so much less judgmental and more comfortable by nature with people in general. My daughter still hasn't come home from Primary school yet and asked me why the kids in London speak differently than the ones in Boston.

The thing is most mid sized to large cities in the US and Canada these days are diverse. People are kind of just moving everywhere. Yes there are a few that have the largest diversity penis, but at the end of the day if I am in a room with 5 Indian people and spend the day with them, then go into a room with 10 the next day, the cultural exchange will pretty much end up having the same effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada