Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Should I say it again that the Ontario government is completely overstaffed with too many exorbitantly paid "managers"? The fact that 80% of OPG's 10000 staff earn more than $100,000 is so atrocious yet we seem to be fine with it. I didn't even start with the bureaucrats (I see with my own eyes "senior managers" who make $110k constantly spend half of their working hours chatting or doing stocks online, practically every single day).

I can responsibly say that if the same productivity at a private company is achieved, the entire Ontario public sector could let 1/3 of its staff go, including myself (and I will have zero complaint).

but that won't be popular and raising taxes always seem a better move.

There is very little fiscal accountability in this province. Those who believes that our taxes are being prudently spent are all having their heads in the sand.

I don't mind paying a bit more tax, but I am reluctant when seeing so much tax is being wasted every minute, and then we are in deficits, have no money to invest and resort to more taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
You wouldn't complain if you lost your job? You should contact the media and tell them that you have a redundant and inefficient "Ontario public sector" job and invite them all to your "I quit" performance... You would become an instant hero of the Ontario taxpayer and probably could crowdsource a decent "severance package".

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I can responsibly say that if the same productivity at a private company is achieved, the entire Ontario public sector could let 1/3 of its staff go, including myself (and I will have zero complaint).

but that won't be popular and raising taxes always seem a better move.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 AM

You mean you're really not willing to quit your job for the Ontario taxpayer after all...?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Ken.S, believe me or not, I really don't mind if the government lays me off. Most Canadians look forward to an easy 9-5 government job with a nice defined benefit pension plan. I couldn't care less.

I am exploring my opportunities and will let you know once I resign from my job. I don't understand why it is particularly hard for you to understand that I don't give a cr*p about this job at all.

And Yes, I did vote to Hudak who threatened to fire 100,000 Ontario public servants. Actually, that's exactly why I voted for him. Why do you think just because I am a public servant, I will not vote for someone who proposes cuts?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Ken.S, believe me or not, I really don't mind if the government lays me off. Most Canadians look forward to an easy 9-5 government job with a nice defined benefit pension plan. I couldn't care less.

I am exploring my opportunities and will let you know once I resign from my job. I don't understand why it is particularly hard for you to understand that I don't give a cr*p about this job at all.

And Yes, I did vote to Hudak who threatened to fire 100,000 Ontario public servants. Actually, that's exactly why I voted for him. Why do you think just because I am a public servant, I will not vote for someone who proposes cuts?
...and this is why you are an enigma, wrapped up in....well wrapped up in something.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 PM

WOW -- Ontario hydro customers are paying on average $1,000 more per year that they should be, so says the Auditor General in her report... And Wynne wants to raise our taxes nevertheless!

Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
WOW -- Ontario hydro customers are paying on average $1,000 more per year that they should be, so says the Auditor General in her report... And Wynne wants to raise our taxes nevertheless!
Well Ken, what were we expecting would happen given the state we got ourselves into with years of McGuintyism?

Mismanagement of Ontario has been elevated to a higher art form and will only continue if we keep repeating the wash-rinse-repeat of electing boobs due to promises we know in our heart, cannot be kept.

The electoral process has failed us abysmally through allowing the ability for very little accountability in the system and even rewarding these cretins for their failures.

Gruber may have some Ontario DNA in his blood as he most surely was describing Ontarians with his publicized faux-paux over America's Obamacare.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
If only the Conservatives were in power, everything would be peachy. Right? Not a dime wasted.

ALL government does harm to the people it supposedly protects and represents. Their job is to secure high salaries, exorbitant pensions, and skate to a nice patronage appointment once they and their co-horts have gorged their full.

Ours is this:

Old 12-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
If only the Conservatives were in power, everything would be peachy. Right? Not a dime wasted.

ALL government does harm to the people it supposedly protects and represents. Their job is to secure high salaries, exorbitant pensions, and skate to a nice patronage appointment once they and their co-horts have gorged their full.
Agree, all government will waste money.

I usually vote for the conservatives (municipal, provincial and federal) because they tend to waste less.

If I became the Ontario Premier, I would
  • cut the number of public servants by 25%. Please don't scream "jobs". Most of those jobs are not real. They get paid but really don't contribute much.
  • cut OPG and Hydro One salary and benefit aggressively, maybe by 30%. I don't want to be unfair to them, but their income should come down to the same level as the private sector, which doesn't mean 75% staff paid over $100k.
  • gradually weaken the public sector unions with the goal to eliminate it completely. The public sector is well paid, well protected and it doesn't need a damn union and shouldn't have the right to strike. if you are not happy with the wage, quit your damn job and see what you can get in the real world. All define benefit pension plans should be discontinued.
  • Charge $10 for each doctor's visits. If one is really poor and has to see the doctor many times, he will get the credit in tax return.
  • Reduce HST to 12% and gradually to 10%. Savings from public sector wage makes that possible.
  • fully privatize LCBO. No reason necessary.
  • De-amalgamate Toronto, or at least officially divided it into several boroughs with much more autonomy (more say in local matters).
  • invest in public transportation: trains, subways, buses, and stop subsidizing car driving. All drivers should pay the full cost of using the roads without a cent of subsidy. Start provide funding to the TTC.
  • reform the auto insurance industry and crack down fraud. The fact it costs three times to insure a car in Toronto than in Chicago is crazy.
  • Stop subsidizing sunset industries such as automobile. In Ontario is not as competitive as Alabama, stop trying to subsidize it to be "competitive" at taxpayers' cost. It is a death spiral. Jobs will be lost, so be it.
  • Stop the Green Energy Act and all the subsidy to wind and solar, and invest in natural gas plants, or import electricity. The electricity price in Ontario is killing jobs more than anything else.
  • foster innovation and entrepreneurship through various channels - provide low interest loans, tax incentive etc.
  • Do more business with the outside world besides the US. Trading 78% with US is a stupid thing and subjects our economy to the cyclical risks of the US economy.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Agree, all government will waste money.

I usually vote for the conservatives (municipal, provincial and federal) because they tend to waste less.

If I became the Ontario Premier, I would
  • cut the number of public servants by 25%. Please don't scream "jobs". Most of those jobs are not real. They get paid but really don't contribute much.
  • cut OPG and Hydro One salary and benefit aggressively, maybe by 30%. I don't want to be unfair to them, but their income should come down to the same level as the private sector, which doesn't mean 75% staff paid over $100k.
  • gradually weaken the public sector unions with the goal to eliminate it completely. The public sector is well paid, well protected and it doesn't need a damn union and shouldn't have the right to strike. if you are not happy with the wage, quit your damn job and see what you can get in the real world. All define benefit pension plans should be discontinued.
  • Charge $10 for each doctor's visits. If one is really poor and has to see the doctor many times, he will get the credit in tax return.
  • Reduce HST to 12% and gradually to 10%. Savings from public sector wage makes that possible.
  • fully privatize LCBO. No reason necessary.
  • De-amalgamate Toronto, or at least officially divided it into several boroughs with much more autonomy (more say in local matters).
  • invest in public transportation: trains, subways, buses, and stop subsidizing car driving. All drivers should pay the full cost of using the roads without a cent of subsidy. Start provide funding to the TTC.
  • reform the auto insurance industry and crack down fraud. The fact it costs three times to insure a car in Toronto than in Chicago is crazy.
  • Stop subsidizing sunset industries such as automobile. In Ontario is not as competitive as Alabama, stop trying to subsidize it to be "competitive" at taxpayers' cost. It is a death spiral. Jobs will be lost, so be it.
  • Stop the Green Energy Act and all the subsidy to wind and solar, and invest in natural gas plants, or import electricity. The electricity price in Ontario is killing jobs more than anything else.
  • foster innovation and entrepreneurship through various channels - provide low interest loans, tax incentive etc.
  • Do more business with the outside world besides the US. Trading 78% with US is a stupid thing and subjects our economy to the cyclical risks of the US economy.
So when are you running

Don't you have some time yet to become PC leader.... Botti vs Kathy in Queens Park.... EPIC

- one plus for Kathy, you have to give her credit no - didn't she just come back from a trade mission in China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada