U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:53 AM
 
34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
A francophone inhabitant of Québec.
And if you've lived a major portion of your life in Quebec and dont happen to be francophone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Nation du Québec
237 posts, read 185,761 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Those lists are as uniformly useful or useless for all the sample countries so at least there is a form of consistency.. There is also kernals of truth Bonjour.. If you don't believe that than move to Tunisia, Haiti,Morocco or even France and get back to me.. As for not having your Freedom, i've told this to Vive and I'll tell it to you.. Writing about this in C/D will not help you attain your 'freedom', for that you need to pound the pavement and convince a clear majority of fellow Quebecers - presumable more than just the Francophone one's that Quebec should be a sovereign nation.
You are one very narrow minded individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
You aren't making any sense. If QOL = people's preferences, then how can you possibly believe that a random few who you've never met in your life, can tell you where you are best off? You talk about QOL like it is a hard science. I'ts not just "hard to quantify" it can't be quantified.



Yup.
Well put this way - outside of the criteria whatever QOL survey uses - if someone introduces a subjective or preferential element that is going to naw at the result than yes - they aren't going to be quantifiable and really its not fair to expect them to be fully quantifiable.. I certain know that QOL only goes so far!! I think there are some objective elements however that do contribute to a certain degree of confidence that one will have a decent QOL access to healthcare, education, either reasonable job opportunities and if those aren't there some sort of social services so these things are measured certain degrees.. Now if I introduce something like number of days of sunshine in the year or access to number of venues with salsa dancing on the streets well yeah - it makes these things more preferential.. So I think QOL is a combination of both objective (and again only to a certain extent) + subjective or preferential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Nation du Québec
237 posts, read 185,761 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Heu? Until now Québécois includes all citizens living in the province of Québec, so yes a great majority of french quebecers voted for independance
The question is for francophones in Québe right? Why would you ask an anglo-Quebecer when they are not part of the nation of Québec? They are almost totally against it. When a guy moves from Ontario to Québec is he part of the Québecois nation? No, he is just a Canadian who happens to be living in Québec.

It is like with Scottish independence, the English inhabitants of Scotland voted on independence, even though they are not Scottish. Why are they being asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
To be honest I find a lot of those international quality of life studies to be totally bogus. Especially when you consider most of them fail to rank any or few U.S. cities in the top 10 or top 20.

Sounds like they are trying to prove a point rather than find the truth. (Which is impossible to find anyway.).

The real truth is that quality of life is pretty good in about 25-30 countries around the world (including Canada and the U.S.). Beyond that it's really what you and I prefer and value as important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To be honest I find a lot of those international quality of life studies to be totally bogus. Especially when you consider most of them fail to rank any or few U.S. cities in the top 10 or top 20.

Sounds like they are trying to prove a point rather than find the truth. (Which is impossible to find anyway.).

The real truth is that quality of life is pretty good in about 25-30 countries around the world (including Canada and the U.S.). Beyond that it's really what you and I prefer and value as important.
and I'm sure you'll find those 25-30 countries maybe a few more have some similarities in terms of access to HC, providing a certain level of education for the majority of citizens, reasonable economic opportunities and social services for a larger percentage of the citizenry so i'm not sure QOL indices like income adjusted HDI or the OECD are completly out to lunch..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
The question is for francophones in Québe right? Why would you ask an anglo-Quebecer when they are not part of the nation of Québec? They are almost totally against it. When a guy moves from Ontario to Québec is he part of the Québecois nation? No, he is just a Canadian who happens to be living in Québec.

It is like with Scottish independence, the English inhabitants of Scotland voted on independence, even though they are not Scottish. Why are they being asked?
In the Scottish vote - what criteria did they use to consider a voter as being eligible or not? Now you are attacking some elements within your own Province...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
You are one very narrow minded individual.
Meh - I can take that attack from someone like you - water off a ducks back..... btw i've been to France, Tunisia and Morocco.... have you? Regardless, the onus isn't on me to cater to all of your needs/requirements.. I might just start sounding off a list of my requirements for you to examine and strike that game up...hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,263,375 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well put this way - outside of the criteria whatever QOL survey uses - if someone introduces a subjective or preferential element that is going to naw at the result than yes - they aren't going to be quantifiable and really its not fair to expect them to be fully quantified.. I think there are some objective elements however that do contribute to a certain degree of confidence that one will have a decent QOL access to healthcare, education, either reasonable job opportunities and if those aren't there some sort of social services so these things are measured certain degrees.. Now if I introduce something number of days of sunshine in the year well yeah - it makes these things more preferential.. So I think QOL is a combination of both objective (and again only to a certain extent) + subjective or preferential.
Fusion2, I work at a college. A lot of what I do involves sociology to some degree. It's almost completely opinion viewed through a euro-centric lens. There is little to no objectivity. I also am skeptical that you understand what the word "quantify" means.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To be honest I find a lot of those international quality of life studies to be totally bogus. Especially when you consider most of them fail to rank any or few U.S. cities in the top 10 or top 20.

Sounds like they are trying to prove a point rather than find the truth. (Which is impossible to find anyway.).

The real truth is that quality of life is pretty good in about 25-30 countries around the world (including Canada and the U.S.). Beyond that it's really what you and I prefer and value as important.
That's where the preference part comes in. Let's say that like over 1 billion people in the world, I'm a devout Muslim. Is my "quality of life" really going to be that great in Saskatoon compared to Morocco? I doubt it. Most human beings couldn't even fathom living in that climate, let alone adjust to the culture and values of Saskatoon.

QOL surveys are great if you are a white, left-leaning, euro-centric, Germanic individual. Which is why places like Germany, Scandinavia and the English-speaking world always top the lists. According to sociologists they were the best places in 1907, and 1937, and they still are today in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
and I'm sure you'll find those 25-30 countries maybe a few more have some similarities in terms of access to HC, providing a certain level of education for the majority of citizens, reasonable economic opportunities and social services for a larger percentage of the citizenry so i'm not sure QOL indices like income adjusted HDI or the OECD are completly out to lunch..
I don't have as much of an issue with HDI BTW. The latest one actually ranks the US higher than Canada.

It also ranks NZ very high, in spite of the fact that it is at the lower end of per capita GDP among developed countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top