U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 PM

8,585 posts, read 11,074,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Or try my parents. Francophone outside Quebec. In the province you're born. Family been in the country for 400 years. Denied the right to have your kids educated in your own language. Pretty blatant attempt at assimilating the minority by denying its offspring the fundamental opportunity to learn their own language in school.
There's a world of difference between lack of availability due to demand and legislated banning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Well not that long ago, not in 1840, my grand parents faced worst than bill 101, they had no access to schools, hospitals, high level jobs, etc. No 101 law or OQLF, but a well anchored disdain of the anglo elite toward the french.

The catholic church, although it was to their advantage, took the lead to save our language and our dignity otherwize we would be more ignorant and retarded than we are now, can you imagine!? (Door fully opened for sarcasm attack).

So, I hear you asking to a people who can't acknowledge itself, barely realize its legitimacy to relax and go for freedom? Think about it for a second, that will not come soon, they don't have the required confidence..I think it will not happen until french quebecers deprecate their identity or realize their full independance.

BTW most french quebecers are still quite unaware of the reason why they and their ancestors became so ignorant and that same ignorance was used so frequently as an evidence that french quebecers can't handle their destiny
i Cant believe that 200 years ago francophones were denied schools and hospitals, did they just die in the streets when they had a medical issue,Did francophones not build their own schools?
as for the high level jobs? as the English brought the money to set up the economic infrastructure its only logical they would want fellow Anglos in the head offices.At least the francophones of the time who were not given executive positions certainly could work in all other aspects of the economic infrastructure,a position not readily available to todays unilingual Anglophones in todays Quebec milieu.
Anyway assuming your postulations are correct is that justification to perpetrate a similar attitude toward todays Anglos in Quebec? a people i might add who had no involvement in your supposed claims of Anglo domination and suppression some time in the long distant past
If this supposed scenario of Anglos being allowed to deny francophone schools, hospitals, high level jobs what is it exactly that these meek and subservient francophone victims actually brought to the founding of this country?A few farmers and fur hunters? obviously the English brought all the money and economic infrastructure that was the basis of what Canada is today. me thinks this whole francophone victim attitude has been highly embellished to rationalize todays oppressive language legislation directed at Quebecs non francophones.

Last edited by jambo101; 05-12-2015 at 02:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 AM

261 posts, read 202,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There's a world of difference between lack of availability due to demand and legislated banning.
I'll let Acajack give a more precise answer, but he's said before that his parents could not learn French in school because there was a law against it. I'm guessing it's not Ontario's Regulation 17 since this one seems to have been repealed before their time, but no doubt there were other legal restrictions to French education in Canada later than this.

And the very reason why there is no "demand" for French in the Western provinces of Canada is because there were policies in place to prevent French from gaining a stronghold there.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
but he's said before that his parents could not learn French in school because there was a law against it.

And the very reason why there is no "demand" for French in the Western provinces of Canada is because there were policies in place to prevent French from gaining a stronghold there.
I never needed to go to school to learn English as i was fully functional in the language long before i stepped foot in a classroom.
And if laws were in place to prevent French from gaining a stronghold in Canada why were these policies/laws not successful in Quebec? particularly when the francophone demographic at the time evidently had no schools,no hospitals and were denied all but the most menial of jobs?

Old 05-12-2015, 05:06 AM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Why do you so quickly assume there was no demand?

Both my parents grew up in 100 percent francophone towns outside Québec BTW.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And if laws were in place to prevent French from gaining a stronghold in Canada why were these policies/laws not successful in Quebec
He's talking about the West.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I'll let Acajack give a more precise answer, but he's said before that his parents could not learn French in school because there was a law against it. I'm guessing it's not Ontario's Regulation 17 since this one seems to have been repealed before their time, but no doubt there were other legal restrictions to French education in Canada later than this.

Exactly. My parents did not grow up in Ont but even though Reg 17 was abolished around the 1920s this does not mean that French schools there were restored in a big way immediately.

The first truly francophone high school in Ontario only opened in the 1970s.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He's talking about the West.
If the objective of the Anglos was to wipe out the francophone culture why would they just focus on western Canada ?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If the objective of the Anglos was to wipe out the francophone culture why would they just focus on western Canada ?
Place yourself in the spirit of the times. The objective was to "contain" French in Quebec (and also dilute it there through immigration and other means) and "prevent" the spread of French as a societal language to areas of new settlement in the West and also Ontario. Quebec had a high birth rate and its excess population was spilling out into other parts of Canada and also the NE US.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:14 AM

Seems to me it was the British that did the expanding while the French demographic shrunk substantially=
http://sdpb.sd.gov/educationalservic...erritories.jpg
I believe if the English had the eradication of the French as its objective in north America it would have easily accomplished that task.So it leaves me wondering why the area of Quebec was spared from total English domination of the continent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or