U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:07 AM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
I'm an anglophone and I voted for Marois. We are out there. There is a growing demographic of anglophones who are tired of the status quo and just want to get it over with. I wouldn't be surprised if jambo is among this group of realists.
I'm definitely one of that group as are most of my friends.And i would love to see Quebec achieve its objective as a totally French country by becoming its own nation,
Quebec has molded itself into a totally French quasi nation within Canada and really serves no point remaining a part of the Canadian collective...
Some interesting viewpoints=
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...r-quebec-to-go

Last edited by jambo101; 09-14-2015 at 01:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 PM

30 posts, read 25,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm definitely one of that group as are most of my friends.And i would love to see Quebec achieve its objective as a totally French country by becoming its own nation,
Quebec has molded itself into a totally French quasi nation within Canada and really serves no point remaining a part of the Canadian collective...
Some interesting viewpoints=
It
This article has lots of encouragement. Thank you jambo for sharing. I have my own fear that PKP may be our final chance to get out of Canada peacefully. I do not understand the mind of those who despise QC but they also are angry when we try to form our new country. Everybody wins with the sovereign QC.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 7,971 times
BruSan I am really interested because I want to debate your values. I am thanking you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Among all the talk of independence, what would an independent Québec look like? If Québec became independent it would have....

The 29th highest GDP in the world, about equal to South Africa.

The 27th highest GDP per capita, just behind Japan and the UK, just ahead of New Zealand and Finland.

The 99th largest population, with more people than of all the Scandinavian countries and Ireland.

The 20th largest country in the world, smaller than Mexico, and larger than Peru.

The second largest French speaking city in the world, Montréal.

The largest French speaking country in the world.

The northernmost capital city in the western hemisphere.

Over 2% of all the world's forests, and 3% of the world's fresh water reserves.

Over 85% of the world's maple syrup production.

https://www.pehub.com/canada/wp-cont...-3-300x200.jpg
Thank you it is a beautiful list!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 PM

12 posts, read 7,971 times
BruSan I am really interested because I want to debate your values. I am thanking you in advance for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
At the end of the day - If we are talking about what if scenarios there are many of those..What would the borders of it look like, what would the health of the economy be once it assumed the debt it would be required to pick up, what would happen if it were not a recipient of Federal transfers it currently gets..What would happen Canadian companies Hq'd in Quebec that would want no part of a new country of Quebec.. All the deals for some of these companies I can think of that have agreements with the Feds like Air Canada would probably go out the window as the majority of AC's operation is not in Quebec its in the R.O.C...... Some speak of GDP but what would happen to those in Quebec who didn't vote for separation - I mean at no point has support been greater than 50 percent so in an independant Quebec - how many would actually stay in the new country and support it - how many would leave and what would happen to its GDP then.. What about matters of Defense, currency etc etc.. These are uncomfortable questions of divorce but there is a big difference - unlike a divorce where it is clear there is one side and the other - in the case of Quebec that one side has many within that would want no part of it and in present times it is actually a greater half..

I guess the question is - what is the appetite for seperatism in Quebec right now in 2014... Is it 40 percent support, 45 percent etc etc... We can go around talking about where Quebec would rank in the world when it comes to maple syrup production and what its GDP looks like now - but what would it look like one year or two years or 5 years after separation..

These are all valid questions. How much better off would Quebec be and for how many of its inhabitants and which one's.
The big question is why we need to be in a different state that we are 1 of 10. Why? Since a war so long ago? I love anglos but this is the purpose. We will be as good off or better under our own future. I am believing you will do the same in my shoes with respect.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM

163 posts, read 154,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne_gauthier View Post
BruSan I am really interested because I want to debate your values. I am thanking you in advance for your response.

The big question is why we need to be in a different state that we are 1 of 10. Why? Since a war so long ago? I love anglos but this is the purpose. We will be as good off or better under our own future. I am believing you will do the same in my shoes with respect.
I agree that we should become independent and this is mostly because it is the best for everybody, I think. I remember voting "non" in 1995 and nothing changed. All of the promises of reform, but nothing ever came from them. So I feel that we have been duped once again. Not so different from our grandparents and before. Canada is our friend but we are growing apart with every day that passes. Even comparing Quebec's integration in Canada of the 1980's to today it is abundantly clear that Quebec has drifted away and continues every day.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:13 AM

225 posts, read 147,624 times
It seems to have declined in popularity. I figured Harper would have made it more popular, but I dunno... I was reading a good article in the paper the other day written by an aboriginal elder who was thanking Stephen Harper because now more non-aboriginals pay attention to and support aboriginal causes, and are less racist towards them.

And Quebecers want to get rid of him as well. So Quebecers, English Canadians, Aboriginal people, Muslims... nothing united like a common enemy.

Not the dream of people of all races holding hands and singing Kumbaya... more like screaming "**** this guy!"

Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
Quebec is a separate cultural nation within a state of several cultures. It seems to have kept its culture intact while gaining the benefits of being part of a large nation. I think trying become a separate state is little more then an emotional indulgence.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne_gauthier View Post

I'm not saying Quebec would collapse without Canada, I was just posing some relevant questions about it leaving that I think still have not been addressed meaningfully - and well perhaps they can't be addressed but I do know if Ontario was toying with the idea, i'd sure as heck want some answers to some important questions that will impact my life and the life of my children if I had any.

Its not up to me anyway, its up to a majority of Quebecers in a strong and unified voice to say regardless of what happens - we want to go our own way. Something that y'all haven't done yet.. Its come close from time to time but alas, here we are in 2015 together in this cold place - maybe that's a good thing cuz Bonjour185 is feeling cold this closer to the end of October so the more body heat the better eh..

Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 AM

579 posts, read 468,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Quebec is a separate cultural nation within a state of several cultures. It seems to have kept its culture intact while gaining the benefits of being part of a large nation. I think trying become a separate state is little more then an emotional indulgence.
Who knows whether Trudeau will really deal the sort of damage to Quebec culture so many fear...

Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 AM

225 posts, read 147,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Who knows whether Trudeau will really deal the sort of damage to Quebec culture so many fear...
Alberta culture did so much damage to all of Canada over the past decade that even Quebecers who resented Justin Trudeau's father voted for him.

Speaks volumes.

And as I said in another thread, nobody with any connection to Alberta will be elected to high office for a very long time. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or