Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,712,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
It seems to have declined in popularity. I figured Harper would have made it more popular, but I dunno... I was reading a good article in the paper the other day written by an aboriginal elder who was thanking Stephen Harper because now more non-aboriginals pay attention to and support aboriginal causes, and are less racist towards them.

And Quebecers want to get rid of him as well. So Quebecers, English Canadians, Aboriginal people, Muslims... nothing united like a common enemy.

Not the dream of people of all races holding hands and singing Kumbaya... more like screaming "**** this guy!"
Quebec separatism is like the cat in this song. Just when you think it's dead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9f04Dctz4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,712,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Who knows whether Trudeau will really deal the sort of damage to Quebec culture so many fear...
We can't assume that Justin will be like his father in this respect. He's a different man from a different era.

Quebec isn't the same, and Canada isn't the same either. Both have matured to some degree since the PET era.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,735,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Alberta culture did so much damage to all of Canada over the past decade that even Quebecers who resented Justin Trudeau's father voted for him.

Speaks volumes.

And as I said in another thread, nobody with any connection to Alberta will be elected to high office for a very long time. lol.
Alberta culture also elected Naheed Neshi as Mayor of Calgary. I typically look at a candidate, their policies and what they stand for rather than looking at what their GPS location is. I personally think Canada would be better off if that was the default position for the majority of us but apparently that is a lot to ask for.

When I cast my ballot, it had nothing to do where Stephen Harper is from or rooted in. It had to do with what he stands for and what he has done over the last decade.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 PM

579 posts, read 659,271 times
Except that it will probably take a series of screw-ups in key Quebec-wide issues from the federal government for separatism to actually come back in force. Or perhaps a gross negligence on the Feds' part.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM

3,602 posts, read 3,344,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Alberta culture also elected Naheed Neshi as Mayor of Calgary.
True.

One thing that always surprises me as both an Albertan and an ex-Torontonian, is just how ill-informed most Eastern Canadians are about western Canada. We Canadians like to boast about how we know so much about the US and Americans, but we tend to be woefully ignorant of other parts of our own country. Alberta culture is much more than cowboys, horses, pickup trucks, country music, and Jesus. Heck, it isn't really any of those at all.

Most Albertans have never ridden a horse, nor participated in a roundup or trail drive. (Just like Ontario.) Many drive pickup trucks as personal transportation, just as many others drive Hondas, BMWs, and Volkswagens. (Just like Ontario.) The most popular radio station in town is "Classic Hits." The country music station is in (I'd guess) third or fourth place, though. (There are country music stations in Ontario.) There is no Christian radio station locally, and Jesus plays no role in the lives of most Albertans, even those who attend mainstream churches regularly (a Catholic buddy can swill beer like there's no tomorrow, and swear like a trucker, often taking the Lord's name in vain). Sure there are a few Fundies, but there are everywhere. Didn't the "700 Club" fundamentalist Christian TV show broadcast from Toronto, Ontario? Yes, I recall it did. But I don't recall that Alberta has ever played host to a Christian TV show.

Albertans are anti-science? Not if you're aware of the research being done at the University of Alberta--no, they have no yet cured cancer, but they've come close. The Lethbridge Research Station performs valuable agricultural research. The University of Calgary has a faculty of veterinary medicine. Creationism is not taught in public schools in Alberta, nor are there any plans to do so.

Albertans are anti-gay-marriage and anti-abortion? Those battles are long past, and today, most Albertans live with the way things are. A few think they can effect change, but they are only a few, and are regarded by the rest of us as cranks and crackpots.

Albertans are xenophobic? Even a small city like Lethbridge boasts a number of restaurants featuring international cuisines, and they thrive. Mosques and synagogues co-exist with Christian churches--even the mostly-Mormon town of Raymond has a Buddhist temple. It is normal to see South Asians, East Asians, Africans, and people from the Caribbean walking down the streets of Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer, and Medicine Hat, among other places. Maybe not as many as in Toronto, but they are present. And, First Nations people are much more present in Alberta cities than they are in Toronto.

"Alberta culture did so much damage to all of Canada over the past decade...." Since it seems to me, coming from Ontario and now in Alberta, and aware that both places are pretty much the same, culture-wise, I have to ask--exactly how did "Alberta culture" damage Canada?

Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,735,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
True.

One thing that always surprises me as both an Albertan and an ex-Torontonian, is just how ill-informed most Eastern Canadians are about western Canada. We Canadians like to boast about how we know so much about the US and Americans, but we tend to be woefully ignorant of other parts of our own country. Alberta culture is much more than cowboys, horses, pickup trucks, country music, and Jesus. Heck, it isn't really any of those at all.

Most Albertans have never ridden a horse, nor participated in a roundup or trail drive. (Just like Ontario.) Many drive pickup trucks as personal transportation, just as many others drive Hondas, BMWs, and Volkswagens. (Just like Ontario.) The most popular radio station in town is "Classic Hits." The country music station is in (I'd guess) third or fourth place, though. (There are country music stations in Ontario.) There is no Christian radio station locally, and Jesus plays no role in the lives of most Albertans, even those who attend mainstream churches regularly (a Catholic buddy can swill beer like there's no tomorrow, and swear like a trucker, often taking the Lord's name in vain). Sure there are a few Fundies, but there are everywhere. Didn't the "700 Club" fundamentalist Christian TV show broadcast from Toronto, Ontario? Yes, I recall it did. But I don't recall that Alberta has ever played host to a Christian TV show.

Albertans are anti-science? Not if you're aware of the research being done at the University of Alberta--no, they have no yet cured cancer, but they've come close. The Lethbridge Research Station performs valuable agricultural research. The University of Calgary has a faculty of veterinary medicine. Creationism is not taught in public schools in Alberta, nor are there any plans to do so.

Albertans are anti-gay-marriage and anti-abortion? Those battles are long past, and today, most Albertans live with the way things are. A few think they can effect change, but they are only a few, and are regarded by the rest of us as cranks and crackpots.

Albertans are xenophobic? Even a small city like Lethbridge boasts a number of restaurants featuring international cuisines, and they thrive. Mosques and synagogues co-exist with Christian churches--even the mostly-Mormon town of Raymond has a Buddhist temple. It is normal to see South Asians, East Asians, Africans, and people from the Caribbean walking down the streets of Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer, and Medicine Hat, among other places. Maybe not as many as in Toronto, but they are present. And, First Nations people are much more present in Alberta cities than they are in Toronto.

"Alberta culture did so much damage to all of Canada over the past decade...." Since it seems to me, coming from Ontario and now in Alberta, and aware that both places are pretty much the same, culture-wise, I have to ask--exactly how did "Alberta culture" damage Canada?
Good Post Chevy.. I despise generalizations as you know!

I for one will not ascribe blame to the people or 'culture' of Alberta for anything.. If one wants to fault Stephen Harper and the Conservatives for aspects of their policy I think that's fair game but the truth is for many years Harper had the support of many Canadians across the country.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:37 AM

144 posts, read 133,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
True.

+ Harper comes from Ontario, doesn't he?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 AM

579 posts, read 659,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We can't assume that Justin will be like his father in this respect. He's a different man from a different era.

Quebec isn't the same, and Canada isn't the same either. Both have matured to some degree since the PET era.
In PET's era Islam was a non-factor in Canadian society/politics.

Perhaps Justin will prove different from his father in this respect but I must remain cautious about whether Quebec's distinctiveness will remain in its current condition or the differences between Quebec and anglo-Canada will shrink to a point where assimilation threats will become real enough.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM

380 posts, read 427,637 times
The Bloc Quebecois had a bit of a rebound in the recent election winning 10 seats, but this may have been aided by the NDP collapse versus a resurgence in support for sovereignty in these ridings.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,338,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
The Bloc Quebecois had a bit of a rebound in the recent election winning 10 seats, but this may have been aided by the NDP collapse versus a resurgence in support for sovereignty in these ridings.
Also, seeing it as a viable alternative to voting Conservative, for those voters who weren't really leaning left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada