Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 AM

261 posts, read 275,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Try not to feed this guy Acajack...
Yeah but what about jambo who "couldn't agree more" with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Yeah but what about jambo who "couldn't agree more" with them?
I'm here and more than willing to exchange opinions and viewpoints on any issue or am i to be the brunt of the usual Quebec reaction of eradicating anyone with the audacity of casting negative aspersions toward Quebec?
I thought C#1 put an honest viewpoint out there on this Discussion board that many Canadians including me agree with for that opinion we are considered trolls . real classy.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm here and more than willing to exchange opinions and viewpoints on any issue or am i to be the brunt of the usual Quebec reaction of eradicating anyone with the audacity of casting negative aspersions toward Quebec?
I thought C#1 put an honest viewpoint out there on this Discussion board that many Canadians including me agree with for that opinion we are considered trolls . real classy.
I would hardly call you a troll, but what else would you call someone who ressurects a thread that has been dead since November just to post inflammatory language insulting Quebecers?

I'm all for differences of opinion, but some people just want to see the world burn.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I would hardly call you a troll, but what else would you call someone who ressurects a thread that has been dead since November just to post inflammatory language insulting Quebecers?

I'm all for differences of opinion, but some people just want to see the world burn.
I was having a conversation with Acajack about Quebec and saw this thread after the temporarily closed the other thread. I didn't realize that posting on a thread is all that it takes to be considered a troll. Sorry buddy, but this is a valid topic that we don't talk about enough. Someone needs to say something when Quebec routinely makes a mockery of our charter of rights & freedoms.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:46 AM

With 1500 posts so far one can readily deduce its a sensitive topic that makes for some lively discussion,canada number ones viewpoints although rather blunt represent a relevant viewpoint shared by many and in this particular case is not deserving the term troll..

Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 PM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,337 times
It sounds like many English speakers in Quebec feel like they are badly discriminated against. Why aren't we doing anything to help them? It sounds like Quebec is violating basic human rights.

https://raisehope.org/campaign/Help-...-Quebec-PLEASE

It's time to leave this place

Help me move my family from a racist, prejudice, and discriminating Quebec – I want a better life for my kids!

Born and raised in Montreal 35 years ago, things weren’t so bad back then. Actually, it was a pretty decent place to live, no matter who you were.

Skip ahead 35 years, I’m grown up, married with 2 young kids, and as an Anglo family living in Quebec in 2014, I can tell you, there is no worst hell than this.

Like all of you out there, we would do anything in our power to protect our children. Family first is something I live by, and as both a father and a husband that’s been my priority each and every day. Making sure my children are given the best life I can provide for them, keeping them out of harms way, and teaching them how to be kind and considerate to everyone is something I take pride in. I don’t believe anyone, young or old, rich or poor, anywhere in this world should be exposed to racism, prejudice, or discrimination, considering how far we’ve come as a people in 2014. Unfortunately, here in Quebec, it’s not the case, it’s actually a way of life, a culture that has not evolved in decades, and constantly seem to be going back in time.

Thankfully, my children are still young, an age that they haven’t had to live the things I have…yet. They haven’t been spit at, told they were garbage, had their food thrown at them, reprimanded at work for speaking English, or simply told to leave the province as they weren’t wanted or welcome here. They haven’t had the luxury of being told that they don’t belong or fit in, or had the language police harass them, refused services or business permit. All this cause I am someone who speaks in English and considered an Anglophone.

Quebec is known as a province that violates human rights on has done everything possible to squeeze out anyone they feel doesn’t fit their French values.

Did you know that we have language police here to make sure signs and company's don't operate in English!

After years of trying to convince my wife to leave this province, a place we clearly don’t belong, I finally have. The harsh reality she has been trying to ignore for many years, hoping things could somehow get better in this dismal province, has proved that it will and is only get worst with time.

The English people on Quebec have been suppressed for long enough.

How you can help us

To make this move possible, we’d be leaving Quebec and moving to a new province, somewhere that would certainly be new for both of us. We’d be leaving behind our support system, friends and family, a decision that was not taken lightly, but one that is in our eyes, is undeniably the right one.

Our one and only obstacle to make this happen now is money. We have been saving, but haven’t reached enough to cushion us for the time it will take to start our lives over in a new province. To ensure the safety and well being of our children, to be able to move, cover all the bills, rent, food and expenses for roughly 1 year, the time we believe it will take to fully settle in, we estimate that a safety net of roughly 75 thousand would be required.

This will allow us to settle in a province that we can once again be proud of who we are without having to hide it, Canadian, be accepted for who we are, Anglophones, and live amongst people that are gracious to one another. More than that, my kids will grow up learning what it’s like to be treated with respect, kindness and be an equal, something Quebec is unquestionably not able to offer them. For me, this is priceless and knowing that I have done everything I could to ensure my children are given a fair shot at life, and not have to live through what many of us Anglophone people living in Quebec have to deal with on a daily basis, I know I succeeded as a father.

I am calling on everyone, everywhere; to please help us make this move. I know my fundraising goal may seem high but it’s what we believe we would truly need to make this move happen. If you can help us move out a province where racism, prejudice, and discrimination is a way of life for 80% of the people living here, I will be more than happy to photograph and post every step of our journey to all our supporters.

My ultimate goal was to raise this money by late August, giving me a chance to enroll my 2 kids into school for September.

I am asking you from the bottom of my heart, please help us get out of this province, one that has no right to be called Canadian nor does it belong in a country as wonderful as Canada. I am proud to be a Canadian, and would love nothing more than to waive the Canadian flag outside my home without fear of someone burning it down.

Please spread the word to as many people as you can, friends, family, new outlets, social media, radio, Facebook and twitter. I need to make this happen, and the only way it will be possible is with everyone's help.

Some people tell me that if I leave Quebec, they will have won. I tell them, Quebec has already lost.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart,

An English speaking Canadian

How bad is it, see for yourself

I have also included a few links below to give people residing outside of Quebec a feel for what daily life is like here for the rest of us. There are literally hundreds of articles on the internet on how bad this place really is, these are just a few.

Quebec store owner ordered to translate Facebook page to French

https://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/...page-to-french

Half of Quebec's anglophones polled feel they can succeed in the province

https://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/...n-the-province

Half of Quebec non-francophones consider leaving

https://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/...nsider-leaving

Quebec's proposed charter violates religious freedom and human rights

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/..._watchdog.html

Time for the Nation of Quebec to leave Canada

https://www.vigile.net/Time-for-the-NATION-of-Quebec-to

No wonder the rest of Canada hates Quebec

https://www.mytorontonews.com/2011/0...-hates-quebec/

Quebec’s War on English: Language Politics Intensify in Canadian Province

https://world.time.com/2013/04/08/qu...y-in-canadian-

province/ Language spat led to assault, Montreal woman says.

"When I explained the problem to the clerk, in English, she says the attendant told me to “go back to my country” and “in Quebec, we can only speak French”. ”

https://www.ccla.org/rightswatch/201...al-woman-says/

Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
It sounds like many English speakers in Quebec feel like they are badly discriminated against. Why aren't we doing anything to help them? It sounds like Quebec is violating basic human rights.
IMO the Anglo culture in Quebec got thrown under the bus when Bill101 was allowed the legitimacy to have the legal ability to prop up(Legislate) the francophone culture and by default slowly eradicate the Anglo culture,also when the language police were allowed free reign on what language was legal and what language was not.The Anglophone culture got no help from Ottawa on the legality of this legislation and the result is the Anglo culture in Quebec now has no leadership and no future and is suffering the cultural equivalent of death by a thousand cuts,
Bottom line is in the space of a generation Quebec is now a place solely for francophones and the rest of Canada is for Anglophones. Case in point does Anglo Canada have the equivalent of this linguistic madness=Language police never rest

IMO separation is the logical next step for Quebec however this is a step francophones are unwilling to adopt as remaining in the Canadian collective is very comfortable.

Last edited by jambo101; 02-09-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 03:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
. Sorry buddy.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
No it is not a legitimate movement. Think about it. Quebec has benefited immensely from being part of Canada. We freed them from the Catholic church. We also saved them from American imperialism not once but twice. That Quebeckers are not oppressed, never have been in any way. All Canadians have been equal since day one and that includes the Pure Lines as well as other Quebec French speakers. There is a professional class of agitators in Quebec who's mission is to spread radical philosophies that misguide Quebeckers, derailing the Canadian unity. A lot of Quebeckers who don't know any better have been taken for fools by this ideology and have been radicalized to support Quebec's language patrol enforcement and even outright independence. The truth is that Quebec can't make it without Canada and would rapidly descend into third world status without our help.
Many agitators for national "independence" throughout the world simply want to get in on the international gravy train. A good example of this is the recent climate change summit. A gaggle of Third World leaders are due to receive moneys for "adjustment" to climate change. Does anyone really believe that the leaders of such illustrious countries as Chad or Burundi are really going to invest the moneys in any other place than their Swiss bank accounts? A real scream is the Marshall Islands, seeking billions since their county is allegedly about to be submerged? Are the leaders goign to move the islanders to safer havens, or pocket the money?

In the case of Quebec, the kind of corruption we saw with Sponsorship or the Mulroney era scandals will be child's play compared to the amount of suddenly available multilateral international assistance they will receive with "independence." Back in the day regions of countries such as Quebec stayed in larger countries or indeed sought affiliation due to the knowledge that they were economically or politically not viable. With hundreds of U.N.-affiliated agencies out there passing out money, many leaders, including some in Quebec, are panting for the funds. I have heard nothing in the Parti Quebecois rhetoric about their economic plans; only about how miserable they will make the lives of Anglophones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All this proves is that in 30-40 years of life in Quebec you've only managed to acquire a massive misread of history and society.
Wasn't this all settled on the Plains of Abraham?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

The issue hasn't gone away. Why start a brand new thread on a perennial issue? The issue should have been considered resolved in 1763 or at the latest on July 1, 1867. Ask William Jefferson Davis whether secession is a good idea. Or Louis Riel.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Many agitators for national "independence" throughout the world simply want to get in on the international gravy train. A good example of this is the recent climate change summit. A gaggle of Third World leaders are due to receive moneys for "adjustment" to climate change. Does anyone really believe that the leaders of such illustrious countries as Chad or Burundi are really going to invest the moneys in any other place than their Swiss bank accounts? A real scream is the Marshall Islands, seeking billions since their county is allegedly about to be submerged? Are the leaders goign to move the islanders to safer havens, or pocket the money?

In the case of Quebec, the kind of corruption we saw with Sponsorship or the Mulroney era scandals will be child's play compared to the amount of suddenly available multilateral international assistance they will receive with "independence." Back in the day regions of countries such as Quebec stayed in larger countries or indeed sought affiliation due to the knowledge that they were economically or politically not viable. With hundreds of U.N.-affiliated agencies out there passing out money, many leaders, including some in Quebec, are panting for the funds. I have heard nothing in the Parti Quebecois rhetoric about their economic plans; only about how miserable they will make the lives of Anglophones.Wasn't this all settled on the Plains of Abraham?The issue hasn't gone away. Why start a brand new thread on a perennial issue? The issue should have been considered resolved in 1763 or at the latest on July 1, 1867. Ask William Jefferson Davis whether secession is a good idea. Or Louis Riel.
Plains of Abraham? US Civil War? Louis Riel? Not exactly a recipe for a strong, harmonious, united Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada