U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 112 65.12%
No 60 34.88%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 PM

420 posts, read 280,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Actually, that is incorrect in cases where culturally distinct People A are a smaller group within much larger People B. They'll "merge into" People B within a few generations if you're "not careful".

And just as I "understand" pro-French-language measures in Quebec, I also understand (and am perfectly fine with) anti-French-language measures in the Flemish Brabant. The logic is the exact same.
Precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 PM

22,173 posts, read 27,610,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Actually, that is incorrect in cases where culturally distinct People A are a smaller group within much larger People B. They'll "merge into" People B within a few generations if you're "not careful".

And just as I "understand" pro-French-language measures in Quebec, I also understand (and am perfectly fine with) anti-French-language measures in the Flemish Brabant. The logic is the exact same.
I can't speak for others but I'd also be perfectly fine with anti-French measures to protect indigenous languages in places in Quebec like Wendake, Maliotenam, etc. where the encroachment of French represents a threat to them.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:34 PM

12,725 posts, read 11,256,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
So you can't stand us, but you also don't want us to get independence?
I have to admit Vive - it is extremely puzzling to me as well.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's understandable that people not be thrilled at seeing the rules of the game change in this way, but given the unwillingness/inability/hostility towards adapting to the new situation, and the obsession with retaining a dominant position over the numerically superior yet downtrodden masses of another "ethnicity", it's really hard to see these guys as heroic freedom fighters.

Not to mention that hundreds of thousands of Anglo-Quebecers did adapt and are still here.
I'm not an anglophone from QC so I don't have skin in that game and can't speak as one. That being said, I do sympathize and empathize with French Canadians position as a large enough nation if you will surrounded by two English Elephants if you will - I think you'll get my P.E.T reference with English Canada being smaller Elephant. I think any English person from N.A should always consider that. Just like we in English Canada feel a bit overwhelmed with the U.S, you'd think we would have a greater sense of empathy and understanding as to why QC does what it does in terms of protections. You know I don't always agree and some things really don't make sense to me, but at least I can sort of understand where they are coming from putting myself in their place.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 AM

58 posts, read 12,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not an anglophone from QC so I don't have skin in that game and can't speak as one. That being said, I do sympathize and empathize with French Canadians position as a large enough nation if you will surrounded by two English Elephants if you will - I think you'll get my P.E.T reference with English Canada being smaller Elephant. I think any English person from N.A should always consider that. Just like we in English Canada feel a bit overwhelmed with the U.S, you'd think we would have a greater sense of empathy and understanding as to why QC does what it does in terms of protections. You know I don't always agree and some things really don't make sense to me, but at least I can sort of understand where they are coming from putting myself in their place.

The feeling is a lot more complicated than compared to you vs. America.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM

22,173 posts, read 27,610,748 times
Quote:
As always, I appreciate your open-mindedness.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
I don't think you got the context of what I was saying but that's ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As always, I appreciate your open-mindedness.
Thanks buddy - I notice it on your side as well.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 PM

58 posts, read 12,289 times
Quote:
I don't think you got the context of what I was saying but that's ok..
Whats is the context of what you are saying?

Old 08-15-2019, 03:14 AM

54 posts, read 29,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
Right because we see English Canada as really foreign. Do English Canadians and Americans truly view each other as foreigners? Like going to Minneapolis is a foreign experience? Leaving Quebec to see Toronto is foreign for Quebecois as much as New York.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 6,412,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
Right because we see English Canada as really foreign. Do English Canadians and Americans truly view each other as foreigners? Like going to Minneapolis is a foreign experience? Leaving Quebec to see Toronto is foreign for Quebecois as much as New York.
I see going to Alberta or Toronto as very foreign. Different currency, speed signs and temperatures in some crazy numbering system. And dogs that wag their tails from left to right or right to left rather than up and down.

Canada is as much a foreign experience to me as Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or