U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:20 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,429,742 times

Advertisements

The very existence of Quebec in the way that it is, challenges a certain anglo-hegemonic view of the Canada-USA human geographic space.

The rest of the "empire" has good amount of diversity within it, but it's diversity on the empire's terms. The type of diversity embodied by Quebec is largely on Quebec's terms, which I suppose is what irks a lot of people and leads to the hyperbolic criticisms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM

144 posts, read 100,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK, I don't see what he says in his jokes as a sign of progress. It's the fact that a guy like him can seek to be a part of and become integrated into the Québécois star system that I see as progress.
Ok, I see what you meant

Old 12-22-2014, 02:24 PM

144 posts, read 100,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
These are just a few questions I can think of off the top of my head that separatists I view as needing to be able to answer.
I am not an expert, so I will only respond with the same $0.2 cents...

1. What would happen to NORAD? To keep all allies togethers U.S. and Canada will prefer an agreement with Qc within NORAD, and I can't see any interest from Quebec's to refuse that

2. If Quebec separates from Canada would Quebec join NATO? No doubt that Qc would not only want to be part of NATO, but would actually create the necessary resources to become a leader into poverty and international aid, Qc is already very active in this area.

3. What is Quebec's view of NAFTA? Would you essentially try to do another agreement or sign onto the existing agreement? No idea

4. Do Quebec separatists plan on using the Loonie or the USD while transferring to Quebec's own currency? The USD was considered in last 95 referendum, I think canadian dollar would be prefered, but if the value is bloated by the gas industry, then I believe that other currency may be considered

5. The United States, Canada, and Mexico in recent years have made it a priority to share information among each other. The swine flu outbreak Mexican officials were quick in sharing that info with the CDC and with Canadian health officials as well. The same goes for security since the US, Mexico, and Canada have been sharing information for the last couple of years due to security perimeter deals. Will Quebec continue to do so if it becomes and independent country? Again, Qc police have always been very cooperative with canada and the US, I can't see why not

6. What will happen to the Atlantic provinces? If Quebec separates it will cut them off from the rest of Canada. So if Quebec becomes an independent country are you going to try and annex all or some of the Atlantic provinces? If not what do you think will be the fate of them? There is no taste for annexing, Quebecers have strong ties with the maritimes, especially new Brunswick & Nova Scottia, and Qc also have maritimes regions like Gaspesie and Ile de la madeleine, etc. So quebecers are well aware of their economical fragility, so it would not be accepted that policies affect them negatively. As far as industries. federal gov is not doing much to help already (as far as I know), so their fate is still uncertain whether Qc is independent or not

7. What is Quebec's goals in regards to it's relationship after independence with the United States? Be able to better promote it's assets and emphase economical and political relationship on shared interests, and that's also true for the rest of the world also, but the U.S. and Canada are abviously the closest partners. Qc already make efforts to create ties with the U.S. Independence would just help us focus our efforts

8. How do the Quebec separatists plan on dealing with a hostile Canada if it gains it's independence to prevent hostilities from spilling out into violence against Quebecers outside of Quebec in Canada or even violence directed against the entirety of Quebec itself. The biggest fear from the US perspective when it comes to Quebec is violence and instability on it's northern border. Economical chillyness of the last decade tend to show that nobody would gain moving toward the violence roots. Quebecers would certainly not accept that from Canada as from themselves..and I really do believe idem for Canadians

9. In what ways do you think Quebec independence would have on the North American continent as a whole. For the U.S. I can't tell, but in Canada, it would maybe be the electroshock that will force the government to abolish the actual constitution as is with the senate, etc. and create a new more modern federation that could maybe be more decentralized like in the U.S., but that's just my thoughts

10. What are the Quebec separatists plans going into the future if they succeed in independence? Cultural affirmation for sure, but I think it will depend on who holds the power after. Traditionally the liberals (more federalists, more neo-capitalists of center right) are more in favour of the gas industry, more privatisation of public services, whereas the PQ (independentists, neo-capitalists of center left) are more for moving toward green technologies and keep a balance between public and privatization. But essentially is to focus on our development with more fluidity

Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
3. What is Quebec's view of NAFTA? Would you essentially try to do another agreement or sign onto the existing agreement? No idea
I believe that ideally Quebec would want to sign onto the existing NAFTA provisions. It would only seek to renegotiate its way in if it was forced to by the other partners.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
6. What will happen to the Atlantic provinces? If Quebec separates it will cut them off from the rest of Canada. So if Quebec becomes an independent country are you going to try and annex all or some of the Atlantic provinces? If not what do you think will be the fate of them? There is no taste for annexing, Quebecers have strong ties with the maritimes, especially new Brunswick & Nova Scottia, and Qc also have maritimes regions like Gaspesie and Ile de la madeleine, etc.
Yes, there is no talk of annexation of any other parts of other Canadian provinces by Quebec. Not even the Acadian francophone parts of New Brunswick. (Most of the rest of Atlantic Canada is primarily anglophone.)

Acadian NB might make some sense but Quebec will not entertain this as doing so will give ammunition to the people who want to split off parts of Quebec and glue them onto Canada (think of a few parts of western Montreal for example). Quebec wants no part of this so it has to be a good sport with provinces like New Brunswick or it will weaken its argument.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:

9. In what ways do you think Quebec independence would have on the North American continent as a whole. For the U.S. I can't tell, but in Canada, it would maybe be the electroshock that will force the government to abolish the actual constitution as is with the senate, etc. and create a new more modern federation that could maybe be more decentralized like in the U.S., but that's just my thoughts
It is true that the division of power between the feds and the provinces is not ideal in Canada, but it's not really true that the U.S. is more decentralized than Canada. It depends on which powers you are looking at. Overall, Canada is actually more decentralized I think.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM

12,714 posts, read 8,792,917 times
Quote:
People who spout inanities like "Quebec is French only and Newfoundland and Saskatchewan are wall-to-wall bilingual" make me wanna write off the whole thread. Or at least stay away for a while.
Francophone Communities - Les Rendez-vous de la Francophonie du 6 au 22 mars 2015

Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM

You forget where I'm from, don't you? Or maybe you just don't know...

Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM

8,607 posts, read 11,111,868 times
Quote:
It is true that the division of power between the feds and the provinces is not ideal in Canada, but it's not really true that the U.S. is more decentralized than Canada. It depends on which powers you are looking at. Overall, Canada is actually more decentralized I think.
The US is far more devolved that Canada. Some in good ways, others, not so much. I think there's a happy medium yet to be obtained that takes the best of both worlds.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The US is far more devolved that Canada. Some in good ways, others, not so much. I think there's a happy medium yet to be obtained that takes the best of both worlds.
I am not sure there is a consensus view on that.

Canadian provinces are almost entirely autonomous when it comes to education.

Many of our provinces have responsibilities for selecting international immigrants.

Our provinces are autonomous when it comes to highway transportation (signage, rules of the road, etc.)

We've also had a province declare French as its only official language against the wishes of the Canadian federal government. (At the time. The feds have since mellowed out on this issue.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or