U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:00 PM

16,130 posts, read 6,363,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
But we will never forget.
Je me souviens?

Last edited by jbgusa; 12-25-2014 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Remove errant comma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 PM

16,130 posts, read 6,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Bilingualism isn't really forced on English Canada. This is something that is commonly exaggerated in the media. The average English Canadian is not much more English-French bilingual than the average New Yorker, and they have no incentive to be. It is only the federal government that is bilingual.
But if an English speaker goes for a federal job he has problems. The French speaker is far more likely to get the job since the French speaker has the right accent.

This can be a serious disadvantage to English-speakers in Canada, which has a large government and is functionally a social democracy, notwithstanding five years of CPC minority mandates and now 3 1/2 years of CPC majority mandate.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:39 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,042,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But if an English speaker goes for a federal job he has problems. The French speaker is far more likely to get the job since the French speaker has the right accent.
In my experience, the French speaker is far more likely to get the job because s/he speaks French. Accent has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 AM

144 posts, read 100,661 times
Quote:

This can be a serious disadvantage to English-speakers in Canada, which has a large government and is functionally a social democracy, notwithstanding five years of CPC minority mandates and now 3 1/2 years of CPC majority mandate.
For an american francophone, the demographic context highly suggest that you learn english if you're looking for higher employability, so in that angle, I think that francos will have more chances to be hired.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,283,664 times
Quote:
Canada has interprovincial tariffs. Strictly forbidden in the U.S.
That's one of the biggest issues in Canada that should've been dealt with ages ago. The fact that there is no interstate commerce clause in Canada holds it back tremendously compared to movement of goods between the states in America.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:34 AM

22,037 posts, read 27,516,167 times
Quote:

To set the record straight, about 60% of federal government jobs in Canada are classified as English only, about 35% are classified as English-French bilingual and about 5% are classified as French only.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:

In March 2005 the English-language "service" I got in Montreal from security was to pretend they didn't understand English when I asked to relieve myself. So I started walking towards what looked like a bathroom alcove. He then said, in perfect English, "one step further and you're arrested."

You may tell me that it was likely a Mounty (it was security for the Gomery Commission). Maybe so. When facing such rudeness and threats I wasn't making such distinctions.
Why would a visiting American tourist be attending something like the Gomery Commission?

Also, Gomery when in Montreal was at Guy-Favreau, the main federal office complex in the city. If there is anywhere in the city where security guards are bilingual and accustomed to using English, it's there.

Hard to believe.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 AM

8,617 posts, read 11,144,588 times
Quote:
Canada has interprovincial tariffs. Strictly forbidden in the U.S.
And the US has 52 criminal codes. Canada has one. I don't get your point.

As I said, the balance is somewhere in between.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM

77 posts, read 77,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To set the record straight, about 60% of federal government jobs in Canada are classified as English only, about 35% are classified as English-French bilingual and about 5% are classified as French only.
When/if Quebec wins freedom, will Canada still promote the French language?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
When/if Quebec wins freedom, will Canada still promote the French language?
There is no clear opinion on this. Most people expect that French-English bilingualism would be scaled back significantly or even totally eliminated, but some others say that Canada would maintain some level of French services in some areas. Without Quebec, Canada would be about 5% French-speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or