U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM

163 posts, read 154,245 times

Advertisements

I agree the only solution is independence. In an independent Québec the anglophones will be protected. Everyone is a Québecois, English or French speaking. We have our own unique nation and we must to come together. Québec's current form as a Canadian province makes us like a sickly state. We can never live to our full potential as a province. The answer for some Québecois is to favour more language policies to root out the perceived evil (anglophones).

What they fail to see is that the true problem is not anglophones. It does not matter how many language policies or how many anglophones we drive out, they will never be completely satisfied. They will never find what they are looking for which is really a state of contentment with Québec.

The true problem is that we are a nation which has been colonized and been the experiencer of severely stunted national development. Punishing our anglophone neighbours will not change this. The only answer is to secure independence, not to create more "language police". Only independence can give us the power to put an end to these stupid over the top "language police". It is time to move forward.

I am truly sorry for your hospital visit. I promise this is not something I support in Québec. Everyone is a Québecois, English or French speaking. We have our own unique nation. Every Québecois should have the right to be aided in their native language. I forsee an independent Québec will enjoy a happy friendship with our Canadian cousins. Thank you for sharing your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,115,369 times
To me, the ideal situation would be if we can find a way to work together as one nation within Canada so that everyone is happy or at least content. I don't mean to sound cliché or idealist because nothing is perfect but I think one nation working together from east to west can create a "sum if better than it's parts" situation - if that's what people want. If we remain too fragmented as a nation, then perhaps this approach won't be optimal, especially if there is constant political bickering with major cultural & economic differences that draw wedges and reinforce instability of sorts more like in the EU but much less so in the US.

On the other hand, Quebec may choose to not be part of this union if it does not believe it can achieve the rights and recognition it deserves as part of Canada and would rather stand on its own. In this case, I would respect that decision with no hostility as someone coming from the Anglo world if there was a clear majority within Quebec, which there currently isn't mind you. There would be no point to stand in the way if the "will" was really that strong.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
To me, the ideal situation would be if we can find a way to work together as one nation within Canada so that everyone is happy or at least content.
Lets start by abolishing bill101 and the language police.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lets start by abolishing bill101 and the language police.
I would be happy to scrap Bill 101 and especially language police in exchange for independance.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Canada is unlike many older countries insofar as it wasn't a country which came together organically over a lengthy period of time. It wasn't populated by a people with a rich and a lengthy shared history, a shared language, a shared religion, a shared culture, shared traumas, and any number of other things which make a people want to live together and rule themselves. In a sense, Canada was a country made, not a country born. It was not put together out of a passion which made its people want to live together. Rather, it was a pragmatic business arrangement brokered between people living in disparate parts of the northern half of North America. Canada is, in some sense, a manufactured country. Some might even call it artificial.

At its very beginning, what became the Canada we know today was founded by people who were afraid of or who were dead set against the United States of America for various reasons. That's the core of the reflexive anti-American sentiment which dwells in the hearts of some Canadians to this very day. From there on out, Canadians were gradually granted more autonomy and bits were added to Canada, but those bits joined only when they got things they wanted in return for joining: a railroad, transfer payments, or whatever. These bits were added on in business deal after business deal if we call a spade a spade. Heck, even the roots of the pre-colonial country were largely mercantile in nature. The Hudson's Bay Company, anyone? What about the North West Company?

And I hardly think that a country which was unified only in part less than 50 years before the Great War could be characterised as a "nation being crafted long before that war" with a "railroad from coast to coast ... built through a national dream long before those wars you mentioned". Most of the stuff that you cite was accomplished only decades before the first of those two wars. Decades. That's it. Not centuries. Not millennia. Decades. Tenuous ties that bind peoples, many of whom were brought together over tables cutting deals for commercial benefit or for welfare benefits. Call me a cynic if you must, but I don't think those ties are particularly durable or deep.
I have just seen this and find it a very intelligent post. It's true, Canada is a business arrangement. A manufactured country. It is not like most other countries.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:59 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I would be happy to scrap Bill 101 and especially language police in exchange for independance.
As an Anglo Quebeker i dont care if you keep or abolish your language laws and its enforcement bureau i just thought it would be a very good gesture to show that Quebec is trying to find a way to work with Canada.As for your independence its not up to Canada to give it to you its up to the francophones to take it,elect in your separatist party, have your referendum on separation and then separate,a course of action that up till now has unfortunately been all torque no traction.
Imo quebec and Canada are growing further apart to the point i no longer see any relevence to Quebec remaining a part of Canada.So if Quebec wants to leave? hurry up eh!

Last edited by jambo101; 01-16-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM

325 posts, read 295,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I agree. We can find jerks anywhere on the planet, and then it's always possible to claim that of course "those people" are like that. But that's lazy thinking. Ask Acajack how he's sometimes been treated by anglophones, and of course he isn't shy about the fact that when his parents were young assimilating them to the English language was official policy of their provincial governments. Still he isn't calling English Canada a dark hole of bigotry.
It's a regular occurrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_-B_kcbiQ

Do we really need to sweep this under the rug too?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,262,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post

Ok, we get it, you all have made your point.

Look, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the Quebec government can't be overbearing. So can the ROC's government, from my perspective. I'll happily live in the US for a number of reasons. But the Quebecois are generally decent people like anywhere else, and I think you are showing them all in an unfair light. For every crazy incident involving an anglophone being kicked out of a hospital for speaking English, there are a few thousand anglophones who receive their treatment without a problem. Personally, I never had a single problem with Quebecois instructing me to speak English. If anything, they were thrilled I was trying to learn French, and doing so in Quebec. Quebec is no longer a British/Anglo colony, those days are long gone and it's time to adapt. I love Quebec, and in some event where I was forced to leave America, my first instinct would probably be choose Quebec, language policies and all.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,137,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
To me, the ideal situation would be if we can find a way to work together as one nation within Canada so that everyone is happy or at least content. I don't mean to sound cliché or idealist because nothing is perfect but I think one nation working together from east to west can create a "sum if better than it's parts" situation - if that's what people want. If we remain too fragmented as a nation, then perhaps this approach won't be optimal, especially if there is constant political bickering with major cultural & economic differences that draw wedges and reinforce instability of sorts more like in the EU but much less so in the US.

On the other hand, Quebec may choose to not be part of this union if it does not believe it can achieve the rights and recognition it deserves as part of Canada and would rather stand on its own. In this case, I would respect that decision with no hostility as someone coming from the Anglo world if there was a clear majority within Quebec, which there currently isn't mind you. There would be no point to stand in the way if the "will" was really that strong.
A refreshingly sober post that captures exactly how I feel about this.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post

Isnt the news reporter a bit too overweight to be on TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or