U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 106 66.67%
No 53 33.33%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2015, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Shawinigan
144 posts, read 100,187 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
When will they feel secure? Only when there is an international border between Ottawa and Gatineau. Right now some federalist Quebecois are willing to exchange a little security for big payouts from the other provinces.

The biggest irony of all of this is that hardworking Canadians are financing the extermination of anglophone Quebecers. They pay their money to the government, who gives that money to Quebec, who then funnels that money towards the language police.
Well I prefer greatly Dorval airport than Trudeau's airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
. To my knowledge, per year, Quebec send approximately 50 billions and receives 9 billions, so basically Quebec send approx. 40 billions dollars to participate
Where are you getting that Data Guy? as from what i read this is more the case= http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/17...ayment-program,,
Exerpt=
Quote:
This year alone, Quebec will take $7.4 billion from equalization while paying in just $2.9 billion. The $4.5 billion it gets free and clear certainly helps the provincial government spend $62.5 billion a year to buy votes with things like subsidized daycare and tuition. Without it, the deficit of debt-ridden Quebec would more than double.
Some interesting points of view
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...-quebec-to-go/

Last edited by jambo101; 01-19-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Shawinigan
144 posts, read 100,187 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
You are correct. Though I do not see any amount of talk will fix this. We have fundamentally different views from Canada. No amount of money or government can change this fact.
Also I wanted to say that people don't talk anymore about that oppression/dominance of anglo-canadians, the context changed and I believe these days are behind us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Also I wanted to say that people don't talk anymore about that oppression/dominance of anglo-canadians, the context changed and I believe these days are behind us.
Didnt we just get rid of a separatist government, and wouldnt people voting for a separatist government be in favor of separatism? I think the paranoid delusions by francophones of Anglo dominance and oppression and the resultant need for language police,Bill101 and related linguistic laws and the dream of a separate Quebec are still very much alive and well in todays Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Shawinigan
144 posts, read 100,187 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Where are you getting that Data Guy? as from what i read this is more the case= Quebec proves that not all is equal in Canada's equalization payment program | R,,
Exerpt=


Some interesting points of view
It
I think I used the wrong term when I used "federal transfers", I meant "péréquation" which is probably
"equalization" the correct one...

Amount sent to federal
--------------------------
39.7 billions in 2010
http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/statistiq...les/chap13.pdf

44,6 billions in 2012
http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/statistiq...enses-2013.pdf

Equalization
--------------
9,3 billions for 2014/2015 from: Soutien fédéral aux provinces et aux territoires

And for those who still think that Quebec is on wealthfare:

"Due to a much larger population, Quebec is the province that receives the most substantial sum to 9.286 billion dollars. If Prince Edward Island had the same population as Quebec, she would receive more than $ 20 billion in equalization. New Brunswick would have over $ 18 billion, Nova Scotia, more than 14 billion, and Manitoba, over 11 billion."

From Gerald Fillion, Radio-Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Shawinigan
144 posts, read 100,187 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Didnt we just get rid of a separatist government, and wouldnt people voting for a separatist government be in favor of separatism? I think the paranoid delusions by francophones of Anglo dominance and oppression and the resultant need for language police,Bill101 and related linguistic laws and the dream of a separate Quebec are still very much alive and well in todays Quebec.
Wouldn't people voting for a separatist government be in favour of separatism? Good question..btw the last government was not separatist, but sovereignist...most doesn't seems to know what it really meant anyway.... most Quebecers who are for the bill 101 are not necessarily for the independence. The main goal of Bill 101 was made to protect French language speaking in working environment, public and private services. So that businesses and public organisation would be required to provide french documentation, publicity, signs, etc... which would not prevent them to use English as well though, as long as French as a predominancy because its been accepted that Quebec official language is French.

Now referring to extermination of anglophones and anglo history in Quebec knowing that there are no chance of survival of french in the rest of Canada except for a portion of New-Brunswick (and for how long, not sure) I am wondering in what the Bill 101 is so bad

Quebec's anglophones were 24% in 1844 and are now 8%.

Canadian francophones
1766 99 %*
1840 45 %*
1850 36 %*
1861 34 %*
1961 28,1 %
1971 26,1 %
1981 25,7 %
1991 24,7 %
2001 22,9 %
2006 22,1 %
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Shawinigan
144 posts, read 100,187 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Where are you getting that Data Guy? as from what i read this is more the case= Quebec proves that not all is equal in Canada's equalization payment program | R,,
Exerpt=


Some interesting points of view
It
I read two things from this National Post article, first exasperation from anglos that do not have their say in this whole Quebec's independence thing and that deeply believe that quebecers are crooks...and second pro-federation who are proud Canadian and don't give a damn about the other ~50% of the population that want to be independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Wouldn't people voting for a separatist government be in favour of separatism? Good question..btw the last government was not separatist, but sovereignist...most doesn't seems to know what it really meant anyway.... most Quebecers who are for the bill 101 are not necessarily for the independence. The main goal of Bill 101 was made to protect French language speaking in working environment, public and private services. So that businesses and public organisation would be required to provide french documentation, publicity, signs, etc... which would not prevent them to use English as well though, as long as French as a predominancy because its been accepted that Quebec official language is French.

Now referring to extermination of anglophones and anglo history in Quebec knowing that there are no chance of survival of french in the rest of Canada except for a portion of New-Brunswick (and for how long, not sure) I am wondering in what the Bill 101 is so bad

Quebec's anglophones were 24% in 1844 and are now 8%.

Canadian francophones
1766 99 %*
1840 45 %*
1850 36 %*
1861 34 %*
1961 28,1 %
1971 26,1 %
1981 25,7 %
1991 24,7 %
2001 22,9 %
2006 22,1 %
separatist,sovereignist are basically the same thing as one wants Quebec to separate from Canada the the other wants an independant Quebec. A nd i have no doubt Marois would have called a referendum on the issue if she thought she had a chance of winning it.
Whats so bad about bill101? While Bill101 may have been instituted with the best of intentions it has basically become a weapon in the eradication of other cultures than French the Anglos being its main target and has basically relegated Quebec to a legislated culture that presumably couldnt survive on its own merits.,Language police? really? try living under such a regime with all manner of linguistic rules and regulations applied to your culture and see how you feel about it.
Your list showing diminished percentages of francophones in Canada over the years wasnt a result of the English equivilant of bill101 or OQLF chasing people away it was just a matter of changing demographics that seemed to favor an influx of English speaking immigrants.

Quote:
exasperation from anglos that do not have their say in this whole Quebec's independence thing and that deeply believe that quebecers are crooks...and second pro-federation who are proud Canadian and don't give a damn about the other ~50% of the population that want to be independent
The vast majority of Anglos outside Quebec are no longer exasperated about Quebec wanting to take a large chunk of Canada and separate, you are right they really dont care anymore, so its a very good time to take your 50% of the population and your $40 billion per year and create your own country of Quebec,
Most people i talk to in the ROC are wondering whats taking Quebec so long to bring this about,
Leave already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Shawinigan
144 posts, read 100,187 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
separatist,sovereignist are basically the same thing as one wants Quebec to separate from Canada the the other wants an independant Quebec. A nd i have no doubt Marois would have called a referendum on the issue if she thought she had a chance of winning it.
Whats so bad about bill101? While Bill101 may have been instituted with the best of intentions it has basically become a weapon in the eradication of other cultures than French the Anglos being its main target and has basically relegated Quebec to a legislated culture that presumably couldnt survive on its own merits.,Language police? really? try living under such a regime with all manner of linguistic rules and regulations applied to your culture and see how you feel about it.
Your list showing diminished percentages of francophones in Canada over the years wasnt a result of the English equivilant of bill101 or OQLF chasing people away it was just a matter of changing demographics that seemed to favor an influx of English speaking immigrants.

The vast majority of Anglos outside Quebec are no longer exasperated about Quebec wanting to take a large chunk of Canada and separate, you are right they really dont care anymore, so its a very good time to take your 50% of the population and your $40 billion per year and create your own country of Quebec,
Most people i talk to in the ROC are wondering whats taking Quebec so long to bring this about,
Leave already!
PQ: There is a slight difference in the negotiation obligation from both parts, that's my understanding...and she would indeed have called a referendum, I don't see why she wouldn't since it is article #1 of the PQ.

Bill 101: If it was made from good intentions, lets clarify...what intentions? protection of french in a context of anglophone majority, right? So whats wrong with Bill 101, how does it chased people away from Quebec? and what would have been the way to do it right?

Thanks for your support although I don't think you saying this for sake of both nations...and whats taking Quebec so long to bring this about is all of those who find all possible way to convince or even scare the population that independence is the Armageddon of Quebec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 PM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Thanks for your support although I don't think you saying this for sake of both nations...and whats taking Quebec so long to bring this about is all of those who find all possible way to convince or even scare the population that independence is the Armageddon of Quebec
It certainly isnt us Anglo Quebecers who are holding you back from your dream of a separate Quebec as we number only 8% of Quebecs population and have no political power in Quebec.If you want separation you elect your separatist party,call a referendom on separation then vote to separate,we Anglos have absolutely nothing to do with it.
I cant believe your resolve for soverienty is stymied by a few naysayers,is that all it takes to destroy the dream?

Last edited by jambo101; 01-20-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top