Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:40 PM

692 posts, read 956,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
Why not? You really think the microculture and history of Texas and Massachusetts are the same? But probably a better comparison would be Hawaii and the rest of the US. Native Hawaiians don't have much in common culturally and historically, but despite the differences Hawaii does better as being a state within the US.
If anything, Hawaii is the perfect example of why Quebec should explore secession and independence as an option. Hawaiians are a scant 5.9% of the population in their own land, and have been greatly assimilated into American culture, and have less influence over the direction that Hawaii takes culturally, economically or linguistically than the Quebecois do now. Becoming a state of the US was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to the Hawaiian people, it's akin to what happened to indigenous Native Americans on the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 03:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
If anything, Hawaii is the perfect example of why Quebec should explore secession and independence as an option. Hawaiians are a scant 5.9% of the population in their own land, and have been greatly assimilated into American culture, and have less influence over the direction that Hawaii takes culturally, economically or linguistically than the Quebecois do now. Becoming a state of the US was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to the Hawaiian people, it's akin to what happened to indigenous Native Americans on the mainland.
I think Quebec has a much stronger foundation than that - everything from language penetration, to culture to values is still very strong.. The two are not comparable not the least of which we are talking two different countries with different political systems, different laws, different approaches and two very different outcomes over time. The fact Quebec has been able to maintain this while being surrounded by Anglo North America is even more impressive... Hawaii is remote and far away geographically from the mainland and still was 'assimilated' as you say so something right must be going on in Q.C. in relation to being within Canada.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM

428 posts, read 450,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think Quebec has a much stronger foundation than that - everything from language penetration, to culture to values is still very strong.. The two are not comparable not the least of which we are talking two different countries with different political systems, different laws, different approaches and two very different outcomes over time. The fact Quebec has been able to maintain this while being surrounded by Anglo North America is even more impressive... Hawaii is remote and far away geographically from the mainland and still was 'assimilated' as you say so something right must be going on in Q.C. in relation to being within Canada.
The only thing going right is that Quebec was forcibly conquered by your people but assimilation was a failure. If you could have assimilated us you would have. The only thing going 'right' in Quebec is that we have only had opportunities to secede since the 70's and a large minority of anglo colonizers to vote against it so it hasn't happened quite yet. I'm not a fan of secession but it's going to happen eventually.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 AM

202 posts, read 265,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Native Hawaiians are 10% of Hawaii's population of 1.5 million, and speak English at home, at work, and in school. There are only 2͵000 or so speakers of Hawaiian.

Of Quebec's population of 8 million, over 80% speak French at home, and at least another 10% are allophone immigrants who carry out their daily routine in French at work and in school. Perhaps 1/3 Quebecois can carry on a real conversation in English.

The Quebecois are entirely foreign to an English Canadian, much like the French are very foreign to an Englishman. The entire culture and mentality is very different. The differences between Quebec and Canada are far greater than the differences between Hawaii and the mainland. There is nothing in America that can compare to the differences between Quebec and Canada.
So you're saying Native Hawaiians have more in common culturally with the rest of the Americans than Quebecois do with the rest of Canadians.

Why do you even mention Englishman and the French? English speaking Canada has little in common with the UK anymore. I've traveled to Quebec many times and I have to honesty say other than the French language and city architecture, it doesn't feel anything like France. I think Quebec is more culturally akin to the rest of Canada, and dare I say it, the US, then it is to France. South Quebec particularly, feels similar to Northern Upstate NY. You definitely feels like North America when you're in Quebec.

Canada, like the US, is a nation built on various cultures and ethnicities. Not everyone is of English and French descent.

I don't see how language would have much to do with Quebec separating from the rest of Canada. For plenty of people in the US, Spanish is the primary language. It's a globalized world now, people should speak more than one language. All Canadians should speak both English and French. In fact, I think both Canadians and Americans should learn to Spanish also in addition to English and French. Speaking different languages is good for the mind and maintains healthy cognitive function.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Hawaii would probably be close to a third world nation if it never became part of the US. Despite the cultural differences, Hawaii is much better off economically and has more stability as being one of the 50 states.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
The only thing going right is that Quebec was forcibly conquered by your people but assimilation was a failure. If you could have assimilated us you would have. The only thing going 'right' in Quebec is that we have only had opportunities to secede since the 70's and a large minority of anglo colonizers to vote against it so it hasn't happened quite yet. I'm not a fan of secession but it's going to happen eventually.
By my people... Who would they be? I'm Canadian! I'm not British, I'm not a British Colonial and I'm certainly not living in 1759!

Secession is far from going to happen and is going to be something difficult to achieve - its possible if a series of events unfold with necessary requisites but it is an improbability. Therefore we can either be angry and launch personal attacks or we can start being the Acajacks of the world...

Old 02-01-2015, 10:31 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
So you're saying Native Hawaiians have more in common culturally with the rest of the Americans than Quebecois do with the rest of Canadians.

Why do you even mention Englishman and the French? English speaking Canada has little in common with the UK anymore. I've traveled to Quebec many times and I have to honesty say other than the French language and city architecture, it doesn't feel anything like France. I think Quebec is more culturally akin to the rest of Canada, and dare I say it, the US, then it is to France. South Quebec particularly, feels similar to Northern Upstate NY. You definitely feels like North America when you're in Quebec.

Canada, like the US, is a nation built on various cultures and ethnicities. Not everyone is of English and French descent.

I don't see how language would have much to do with Quebec separating from the rest of Canada. For plenty of people in the US, Spanish is the primary language. It's a globalized world now, people should speak more than one language. All Canadians should speak both English and French. In fact, I think both Canadians and Americans should learn to Spanish also in addition to English and French. Speaking different languages is good for the mind and maintains healthy cognitive function.
Connie you seem nice, but you are seriously out of touch with reality in Quebec. I used to live there. They aren't just making this stuff up. A native Hawaiian has far more in common with a pick up driving Alabaman than a Quebecois has with an English Canadian. Comparing Spanish speakers in California or Florida to Quebec is beyond ridiculous, and sorry to be blunt, it shows how far removed you are from the reality of Quebec.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 AM

183 posts, read 218,287 times
Quote:

This is very ignorant.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM

183 posts, read 218,287 times
Quote:
Hawaii would probably be close to a third world nation if it never became part of the US. Despite the cultural differences, Hawaii is much better off economically and has more stability as being one of the 50 states.
Québec is not Hawaii. Quebec has 8 million people and is home to many world corporations. We have Montréal and Québec. Hawaii is isolated island in the ocean Pacific but Québec is a few hours from New Yorck City. It is an senseless discussion.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Connie you seem nice, but you are seriously out of touch with reality in Quebec. I used to live there. They aren't just making this stuff up. A native Hawaiian has far more in common with a pick up driving Alabaman than a Quebecois has with an English Canadian. Comparing Spanish speakers in California or Florida to Quebec is beyond ridiculous, and sorry to be blunt, it shows how far removed you are from the reality of Quebec.
I'll clarify. No doubt, Quebec has its own unique culture compared to the rest of Canada. But if I had to say whether or not Quebec is more like France or rest of Canada/US, then the answer is Canada/US. But you're right I probably don't really know legitimately since I never lived there. Either way, I don't think it justifies it separating from Canada.

As a native NYer, I can tell you that Northern Upstate NY, Northern Vermont, and Northern New Hampshire have a lot in common with South Quebec with there being are a lot of French Canadians living there. You see lots of francophone communities, signs are in both English and French, and lots of Quebecois travel to Northern Upstate NY and vice versa.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's got to be even more ridiculous saying Native Hawaiians have more in common with pick up driving Alabamians than Quebecois do with the rest of Canadians. Native Hawaiians, i.e. Polynesians, are not even Western, they're Pacific Island/Eastern culture and customs. Heck NYC residents have nothing in common culturally, economically, and politically with pick up driving Alabamians.

People here seem to think English speaking Canada and US are the same or similar culturally. No, Canada and the US, are nations build of various regional cultures and ethnicities, which is why I believe Quebec shouldn't feel they have to separate from the rest of Canada. There is nothing culturally Anglo about Canada and the US, other than English being the primary language. Last time I was in Montreal, it wasn't all Francophones either. There were many Eastern Asians and Middle Easterners living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada