Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

A lot is made of the 51 percent " support " for separation in the 1995 referendum. Some, believe the question was so confusing, that some didn't fully understand what they were voting for.

I remember interviews from the time where some believed separation meant they could keep their Canadian passport.

Independence Referendums: The 1995 Quebec referendum question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 12:27 PM

144 posts, read 134,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A lot is made of the 51 percent " support " for separation in the 1995 referendum. Some, believe the question was so confusing, that some didn't fully understand what they were voting for.

I remember interviews from the time where some believed separation meant they could keep their Canadian passport.

Independence Referendums: The 1995 Quebec referendum question
True, we had quite good laughs at the complexity of the question. This question was the main difference of sovereinty vs separation idea, where as sovereinty implied a mandate from quebec to negociate a common agreement with canada, and separation does not requires any agreement.

That being said, quebecers knew pretty well what they were voting for except for the real seriousness of this negociation obligation. We could easily expect sabotage during the negociation process, so I'm not sure that it was really considered as a real difference by voters.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:19 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is preposterous. You don't have transportable language rights where everyone will speak to you in English no matter where you go.

And of course, little consideration is usually by anglo-lebensraum types to the other side of the coin, which is: how do people who speak French fare in parts of Canada outside Quebec if they want to use their language?
They live in a country that now insists that everywhere else the government operate in both languages. Why should Quebec get to be French only and the rest of the country be saddled with official bilingualism?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They live in a country that now insists that everywhere else the government operate in both languages. Why should Quebec get to be French only and the rest of the country be saddled with official bilingualism?
Perhaps you should read up on the differences between the federal and the provincial governments.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Perhaps you should read up on the differences between the federal and the provincial governments.
Why do Mountie operators in BC have to be proficient in French? And why are Federal promotions so biased against English-speakers who learn French and thus don't have the right accent?

Old 12-22-2014, 06:43 AM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Why do Mountie operators in BC have to be proficient in French? And why are Federal promotions so biased against English-speakers who learn French and thus don't have the right accent?
Because mounties are FEDERAL employees. Local police outside of Quebec don't have to be bilingual at all.

Furthermore, for all this bitching about the rest of the country being Bilingual, it should be pointed out that Quebecois (and francophones in general) are by FAR more bilingual as a whole than Anglophones are. English speakers far more likely to be able to receive service in English in Quebec than French speakers are anywhere else in Canada save for New Brunswick. It is MUCH easier to be an Anglophone in Quebec than a Francophone anywhere else in Canada.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
People who spout inanities like "Quebec is French only and Newfoundland and Saskatchewan are wall-to-wall bilingual" make me wanna write off the whole thread. Or at least stay away for a while.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People who spout inanities like "Quebec is French only and Newfoundland and Saskatchewan are wall-to-wall bilingual" make me wanna write off the whole thread. Or at least stay away for a while.
It's no surprise when many people form an impression of Quebec from these types of "sources":

Quebec doesn't always get a fair shake in the English-language media. I am not talking about only Canada, but in the entire anglosphere. We've all heard about how intolerant the Quebecois are, it's only a matter of who believes this garbage and who sees it for what it is. Actual facts are too easily disregarded in favor drama and sensationalism.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM

77 posts, read 99,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It's no surprise when many people form an impression of Quebec from these types of "sources":

Quebec doesn't always get a fair shake in the English-language media. I am not talking about only Canada, but in the entire anglosphere. We've all heard about how intolerant the Quebecois are, it's only a matter of who believes this garbage and who sees it for what it is. Actual facts are too easily disregarded in favor drama and sensationalism.
Yes we have similar issues with this propaganda as well.

I get the sense that certain elements believe this is based in truth.

Last edited by dtmann; 12-22-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 10:17 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
I checked out back to page 38 in this thread but I didn't check out all 44 pages of this thread so if what I'm about to ask has been asked and answered before I apologize.

I'm going to give my $.02 on this being an American and the view of a possible separation of Quebec from Canada from the American perspective of how it will effect the United States and even North America as a whole with the questions it raises from the United States perspective. Questions I would like to ask to see if the separatists have answers to.

1. Okay if Quebec separates from Canada what all do you think would happen to NORAD? It monitors all air space outside of the continent and inside Northern America so it really is a big deal.

2. If Quebec separates from Canada would Quebec join NATO?

3. What is Quebec's view of NAFTA? Would you essentially try to do another agreement or sign onto the existing agreement?

4. Do Quebec separatists plan on using the Loonie or the USD while transferring to Quebec's own currency?

5. The United States, Canada, and Mexico in recent years have made it a priority to share information among each other. The swine flu outbreak Mexican officials were quick in sharing that info with the CDC and with Canadian health officials as well. The same goes for security since the US, Mexico, and Canada have been sharing information for the last couple of years due to security perimeter deals. Will Quebec continue to do so if it becomes and independent country?

6. What will happen to the Atlantic provinces? If Quebec separates it will cut them off from the rest of Canada. So if Quebec becomes an independent country are you going to try and annex all or some of the Atlantic provinces? If not what do you think will be the fate of them?

7. What is Quebec's goals in regards to it's relationship after independence with the United States?

8. How do the Quebec separatists plan on dealing with a hostile Canada if it gains it's independence to prevent hostilities from spilling out into violence against Quebecers outside of Quebec in Canada or even violence directed against the entirety of Quebec itself. The biggest fear from the US perspective when it comes to Quebec is violence and instability on it's northern border.

9. In what ways do you think Quebec independence would have on the North American continent as a whole.

10. What are the Quebec separatists plans going into the future if they succeed in independence?

These are just a few questions I can think of off the top of my head that separatists I view as needing to be able to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada