Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:19 PM

144 posts, read 133,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As I said, i'm willing to do more to bridge gaps - I'd love to see mandatory French classes in all schools and that it is a requirement for all Canadians going through the public school system to be fluent in both English and French in order to get a H.S diploma... I don't think this is an extraordinary requirement as an example.
I know it's an old post, but just though to share something on that matter.. it is definitely not given to everyone to be capable of assimilate languages if it is not done in early ages. Some are very good at it and can learn all their lives with fun while others just feel like going through hell.

A friend of mine is Greek lived in Qc went to school in English with mostly French quebecers and married an Italian..he now lives in Ontario and he refused categorically to influence his child to learn anything else than English..he was terrified by that, no kidding...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 PM

183 posts, read 216,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
I know it's an old post, but just though to share something on that matter.. it is definitely not given to everyone to be capable of assimilate languages if it is not done in early ages. Some are very good at it and can learn all their lives with fun while others just feel like going through hell.

A friend of mine is Greek lived in Qc went to school in English with mostly French quebecers and married an Italian..he now lives in Ontario and he refused categorically to influence his child to learn anything else than English..he was terrified by that, no kidding...
To learn a new language is a very difficult task. I will never be 100% accurate in English and I have spoke it since a young age. English is a germanic language and french is a latin language. We belong to different families. You see that a Swedish or Dutch can know English in a short time that is superior to a French person who has studied all their lives. I am not particularly worried. I know we will achieve independence. I encourage all to learn English. But we have a right to speak our language in our home.

The choice is this. "Independence" or "Assimilation with a cherry on top".

The cherry has enticed many Québecois. But I have confidence that most in Quebec will slowly choose the first choice. Maybe not next year. Maybe not in 10 years. But we will never forget.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM

868 posts, read 1,118,040 times
Being swallowed into the soulless anglosphere borg is one horrifying prospect for sure

Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM

144 posts, read 133,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
To learn a new language is a very difficult task. I will never be 100% accurate in English and I have spoke it since a young age. English is a germanic language and french is a latin language. We belong to different families. You see that a Swedish or Dutch can know English in a short time that is superior to a French person who has studied all their lives. I am not particularly worried. I know we will achieve independence. I encourage all to learn English. But we have a right to speak our language in our home.

The choice is this. "Independence" or "Assimilation with a cherry on top".

The cherry has enticed many Québecois. But I have confidence that most in Quebec will slowly choose the first choice. Maybe not next year. Maybe not in 10 years. But we will never forget.
I agree that french descents totally earned their right to speak their language and that we have the choice to assimilate or separate, I cannot see any other efficients scenarios with the current constitution. I strongly believe that fr qc do not want to assimilate at all, but on the other hand they are not all open to independance, and I that make them look bad at the end toward canadians, they end up looking the spoiled kids...and that I'm convinced that most quebecers are not aware of that.

As far as language, it is true that french have latin roots, although there are many traces from germanic language of the franks, but most of the english vocabulary comes from latin too directly and indirectly through old french. Btw all latin originating words in english have not been changed, ex: genius, area, analysis, etc. The main difference I would say is in the prononciation. I was amazed to find out how much of the english words comes from the old-french, it is unvelievable..english is the best footprint of what old french sounded like, an excellent good book that look at that "Homni soit qui mal y pense, Henriette Walter, L'incroyable histoire d'amour entre l'anglais et le français"...excellent gift choice for christmas

Last edited by Guytar1220; 12-23-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-24-2014, 09:07 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Being swallowed into the soulless anglosphere borg is one horrifying prospect for sure
It's not that there is anything wrong with the anglosphere, it's just that it's not them.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 AM

14,498 posts, read 9,388,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yes, it's legitimate. I support the right of people preserve their own kind and their heritage, language, culture, etc. I don't particularly want to see Quebec leave Canada--and I think preservation is possible as a unique part of Canada--but if it's the will of the people of Quebec to leave the union, they should be able to do so.
To expand upon my thoughts, I'd say I'm against Quebec secession, but it should not be stopped if that is ever the will of the majority in Quebec. I'm all for the preservation of the French language and heritage in Quebec. To this end, existing laws can be strengthened if need be, while at the same time staying respectful of the English-speaking minority in Quebec. I naturally feel closer to English Canadians, but believe me when I say I have nothing against the French and do not want to see them lose their language and heritage. And yes, it is threatened. It's a two-way street, however. If I were an English Canadian, I would not be fond of the promotion of bilingualism in English-speaking Canada. Live and let live and each language for one's own. Don't push English on the French and don't push French on the English. If English as a second language is more necessary for French Canadians than vice versa, blame the rest of the world for that and don't take it out on English Canadians.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:54 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,850,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
To expand upon my thoughts, I'd say I'm against Quebec secession, but it should not be stopped if that is ever the will of the majority in Quebec. I'm all for the preservation of the French language and heritage in Quebec. To this end, existing laws can be strengthened if need be, while at the same time staying respectful of the English-speaking minority in Quebec. I naturally feel closer to English Canadians, but believe me when I say I have nothing against the French and do not want to see them lose their language and heritage. And yes, it is threatened. It's a two-way street, however. If I were an English Canadian, I would not be fond of the promotion of bilingualism in English-speaking Canada. Live and let live and each language for one's own. Don't push English on the French and don't push French on the English. If English as a second language is more necessary for French Canadians than vice versa, blame the rest of the world for that and don't take it out on English Canadians.
Bilingualism isn't really forced on English Canada. This is something that is commonly exaggerated in the media. The average English Canadian is not much more English-French bilingual than the average New Yorker, and they have no incentive to be. It is only the federal government that is bilingual. It makes some sense considering that 1/4 of the people under the federal government are native French speakers. So if you are a regular Joe in Saskatoon, you won't know French unless you plan on working in the federal government. Even in Montreal it is very common to find English Canadians who can't speak French.

Either way, the efforts of the federal government might be what is keeping the Quebec speratists from garnering 60+ percent support. If the federal government totally gave up on bilingual policies, it would only make Quebec feel even more alienated and intensify the defacto segregation of Canada. Such a step would be one of the worst possible moves for a united Canada.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:06 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Bilingualism isn't really forced on English Canada. This is something that is commonly exaggerated in the media. The average English Canadian is not much more English-French bilingual than the average New Yorker, and they have no incentive to be. It is only the federal government that is bilingual. It makes some sense considering that 1/4 of the people under the federal government are native French speakers. So if you are a regular Joe in Saskatoon, you won't know French unless you plan on working in the federal government. Even in Montreal it is very common to find English Canadians who can't speak French.

Either way, the efforts of the federal government might be what is keeping the Quebec speratists from garnering 60+ percent support. If the federal government totally gave up on bilingual policies, it would only make Quebec feel even more alienated and intensify the defacto segregation of Canada. Such a step would be one of the worst possible moves for a united Canada.
It is also worth pointing out that no one in Quebec cares that English is the global language or even the only language used in the parts of Canada outside Quebec. There is no bitterness or jealously about this.

The resentment arises when there are attempts (by individuals or organizations) to impose English as the main everyday language in Quebec, of town halls meetings, public discourse, grocery shopping, whatever.

Thankfully, there is much, much less of this than there used to be in Quebec, but when the language issue flares up, it's always because of this. Not because an international conference in Montreal used English or because Katy Perry spoke to the crowd in English at her concert in Quebec.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,509 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Because mounties are FEDERAL employees. Local police outside of Quebec don't have to be bilingual at all.

Furthermore, for all this bitching about the rest of the country being Bilingual, it should be pointed out that Quebecois (and francophones in general) are by FAR more bilingual as a whole than Anglophones are. English speakers far more likely to be able to receive service in English in Quebec than French speakers are anywhere else in Canada save for New Brunswick. It is MUCH easier to be an Anglophone in Quebec than a Francophone anywhere else in Canada.
Based on personal experience Quebec's "National" government picks and chooses rather carefully where they serve in English. My wife and I went on a lovely hiking vacation in July 2012. The "Parcs Nacionale" had most trail literature in both languages andt he guides were fluent in both. Ditto on my tour of the "Assembie Nacionale" when the lovely vacation dissolved into miserable rain.

In March 2005 the English-language "service" I got in Montreal from security was to pretend they didn't understand English when I asked to relieve myself. So I started walking towards what looked like a bathroom alcove. He then said, in perfect English, "one step further and you're arrested."

You may tell me that it was likely a Mounty (it was security for the Gomery Commission). Maybe so. When facing such rudeness and threats I wasn't making such distinctions.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,509 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The US is far more devolved that Canada. Some in good ways, others, not so much. I think there's a happy medium yet to be obtained that takes the best of both worlds.
Canada has interprovincial tariffs. Strictly forbidden in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada