Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:13 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What exactly do you mean by jibber-jabber? Is this like a slag on Hispanics or something?

Jibber-Jabber:

Talk in a rapid and excited way that is difficult to understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
It is definitely self-segregation, and it's self-segregation with tons of historical precedent since we've been a sovereign nation since at least 1867, and in practise since 1812, and in our own self-interest. I do not see how Quebecois would stand to benefit from secession, and there certainly is no historical precedent for it, but if they hate us enough to want to do that, I support you
I am not a supporter of Quebec independence, so I don't get your point.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Jibber-Jabber:

Talk in a rapid and excited way that is difficult to understand
So how this a societal thing that threatens the enviable prosperity that has been achieved in North America north of the Rio Grande?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM

542 posts, read 503,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The difference is that Israel is a viable country. There is no set of facts under which Quebec as an independent nation can maintain anything close to current living standards without a lot of outside help.
That's what they said about Canada, Iceland, The Bahamas, and New Zealand too.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Realistically, people should have the right to self-determination. I think let there be another referendum. There is no reason a people who hate us should have to be "oppressed" by our federal government transfers.

Acajack, if you are so certain that the Quebecois do not hate us and do not want to separate, surely the results would work out in favour of continued unification.
There are people who are Quebec separatists who do not hate other Canadians. In fact, probably most of the separatists just think we have too little in common. It's not really about hate.

Also, there are Quebec federalists who aren't really big fans of Anglo-Canada either.

And there is no shortage of Anglo-Canadians who hate Quebec, Quebecers, French, etc. Almost all of these people, ironically, are federalists (in the sense that they don't want Quebec to leave, even though they hate it).

The world is a complex place.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
So how this a societal thing that threatens the enviable prosperity that has been achieved in North America north of the Rio Grande?

I dunno. I was just giving you the definition of Jibber Jabber. lol

Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 PM

854 posts, read 585,856 times
Quote:
There are people who are Quebec separatists who do not hate other Canadians. In fact, probably most of the separatists just think we have too little in common. It's not really about hate.

Also, there are Quebec federalists who aren't really big fans of Anglo-Canada either.

And there is no shortage of Anglo-Canadians who hate Quebec, Quebecers, French, etc. Almost all of these people, ironically, are federalists (in the sense that they don't want Quebec to leave, even though they hate it).

The world is a complex place.

True hatred is about concrete action, not only ideology, just like the difference between prejudice and active discrimination. If you implement policies centred around your own particular prejudice, that is an actual outcome of hate beyond simple preference, prejudice or ideology.

Again, I think that a people should have the right to self-determination. If the majority of Quebecois hate us enough to want us to require a passport and immigration status for us to enter their territory, let them secede.

I am indifferent either way, and I suspect the bulk of the country is as well, to be frank.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Hatred is about concrete action, not ideology, just like the difference between prejudice and active discrimination. If you implement policies centred around your own particular prejudice, that is an actual outcome of hate beyond simple preference, prejudice or ideology.

Again, I think that a people should have the right to self-determination. If the majority of Quebecois hate us enough to want us to require a passport and immigration status for us to enter their territory, let them secede.

I am indifferent either way, and I suspect the bulk of the country is as well, to be frank.
You're looking at the entire thing from the premise of a logical fallacy. I guess it's because you need to latch onto something to explain Quebec and its politics and quirks to yourself.

I realize it's very hard for some people to understand why Quebecers don't just fall into line and want to be Canadians just like the others, given that (Anglo-)Canada is one of the world's most successful societies.

You're still barking up the wrong tree though.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:30 PM

225 posts, read 203,073 times
Is anyone familiar with the works of Martin Armstrong?

He wrote a software called Socrates that predicts economic and political events based on economic models.

He has predicted sympathies for Quebec independence will rise in 2018.

Many of his predictions for 2016 seem like they're starting to come true. He predicted a split in the Republican Party in the US which appears to be happening.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Well that was fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada