Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 07:55 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I see going to Alberta or Toronto as very foreign. Different currency, speed signs and temperatures in some crazy numbering system. And dogs that wag their tails from left to right or right to left rather than up and down.

Canada is as much a foreign experience to me as Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
With all due respect I have trouble taking comments like this seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:10 AM

36 posts, read 25,029 times
Quote:
speed signs and temperatures in some crazy numbering system.
I hope that was sarcastic.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukos View Post
Quote:
Different currency, speed signs and temperatures in some crazy numbering system.
I hope that was sarcastic.
I call them "Trudeau units" since the change was, I believe, effect March 1, 1974, during Trudeau the Smarter's mandate.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
Whats is the context of what you are saying?
That you would think English Canada, being the smaller of the Anglophone countries and who's own culture is sort of overshadowed by its big Anglo brother to the south, would have more empathy for the plight of Quebec. Why it does things to preserve its culture and language. It may not be as pronounced and certainly, most immigrants to English Canada aren't coming in speaking a foreign language en masse, but we should appreciate that feeling of being the smaller nation who is outgunned by a much larger one.

That is what I expressed and you reply with the feeling is more complicated than you vs America - yeah I get that but the feeling is still or at least should be there which should promote more understanding and empahty. Otherwise we could always just say i'm different from you and you will never understand me and treat everyone like aliens from Alpha Centauri.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM

71 posts, read 48,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That you would think English Canada, being the smaller of the Anglophone countries and who's own culture is sort of overshadowed by its big Anglo brother to the south, would have more empathy for the plight of Quebec. Why it does things to preserve its culture and language. It may not be as pronounced and certainly, most immigrants to English Canada aren't coming in speaking a foreign language en masse, but we should appreciate that feeling of being the smaller nation who is outgunned by a much larger one.

That is what I expressed and you reply with the feeling is more complicated than you vs America - yeah I get that but the feeling is still or at least should be there which should promote more understanding and empahty. Otherwise we could always just say i'm different from you and you will never understand me and treat everyone like aliens from Alpha Centauri.
I don't think English Canada is more understanding of Quebec than the US or UK or whatever other anglo country.

Like, I've never met a American guy who hated Quebec, until I came to this forum (JBG). Also the UK is more hospitable to Welsh and Scotland than English Canada. They get to be their own countries that are united under the UK.

If we tried that in Canada people would lose their collective minds!

Quebec is better off in Canada since we create a big part of the population. WE would be so much smaller in the UK or US. And we are able to project ourself better since we started the country and make up a large part of populace.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:

One thing though is that fairly or unfairly, viewed from Quebec the Anglo-Canadian preoccupation with the huge amount of influence from the U.S. is often seen mostly as lip service, and that most people may bemoan it but don't actually do much about it.

And as has already been stated this leads many Quebecers to see themselves as the only true resisters out there.

When an Anglo-Canadian says "we know how you Quebecers feel, as for our part we're dominated by the U.S. and trying to survive", very few people on this side of the Ottawa River would see that person as a brother-in-arms fighting a similar battle. For better or worse that's the reality.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
I don't think English Canada is more understanding of Quebec than the US or UK or whatever other anglo country.

Like, I've never met a American guy who hated Quebec, until I came to this forum (JBG). Also the UK is more hospitable to Welsh and Scotland than English Canada. They get to be their own countries that are united under the UK.

If we tried that in Canada people would lose their collective minds!

Quebec is better off in Canada since we create a big part of the population. WE would be so much smaller in the UK or US. And we are able to project ourself better since we started the country and make up a large part of populace.
I still don't think you are understanding what I mean. I am NOT saying that English Canada is more understanding of Quebec and its policies for cultural/language than other Anglo countries. Speaking as someone with a lot of Scottish blood in me, who knows if William Wallace is coursing through my veins here but I am saying that you would think that English Canada would be more understanding not that it is.

Is that clear? I'm not saying is i'm saying should be.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 PM

120 posts, read 71,214 times
Quote:
I still don't think you are understanding what I mean. I am NOT saying that English Canada is more understanding of Quebec and its policies for cultural/language than other Anglo countries. Speaking as someone with a lot of Scottish blood in me, who knows if William Wallace is coursing through my veins here but I am saying that you would think that English Canada would be more understanding not that it is.

Is that clear? I'm not saying is i'm saying should be.
I believe we are. Quebec has it good and has nothing to realistically complain about. Canada is one of the world histories greatest nations just the fact that Quebec is allowed to carry on as such is an indicator of this.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
I believe we are. Quebec has it good and has nothing to realistically complain about. Canada is one of the world histories greatest nations just the fact that Quebec is allowed to carry on as such is an indicator of this.
So as a great nation we can allow a people to determine their own destiny. That is a better approach than throwing history in their face. Time for everyone to move on. In this case, the future becomes more important than the past.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:56 PM

525 posts, read 453,875 times
Maybe take this poll with a grain of salt, but I think it’s interesting to think about:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ada-not-quebec

I’m not Canadian, so I can’t really speak with any authority, but I like that Quebec is a part of Canada. I think having Quebec allows Canada to value cooperation and compromise, to distinguish itself more from America, and to be more multicultural and linguistically diverse. But if Quebec feels that it’s better off seceding from Canada, I can’t judge them for feeling that way. I know I’d feel pretty nervous if I lived in a country where only my state/province were primarily Anglophone and the rest were all primarily Francophone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada