U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 8,253 times

Advertisements

I am canadian my fiance is from the UK does he need permanent residency in order for us to get married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 AM

4,285 posts, read 14,137,552 times
Not in Ontario.

Citizenship or Permanent Residency isn't an issue when applying for a marriage licence unless the non-citizen has a divorce granted in a jurisdiction other than Canada.

If that scenario arises, you'll need to have the foreign marriage examined by a lawyer for validity and then submit the lawyer's letter to the Registrar General's office for approval.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,796 times
Hey. My Boyfriend of 3 years wants to move here to Canada. We are planning on getting married but are having issues with him comming here. How can he get a permanent resident status in canada?? If we get married here or in the USA how would i go abouts applying for him to be able to live in Canada legally?

Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsi. Z View Post
Hey. My Boyfriend of 3 years wants to move here to Canada. We are planning on getting married but are having issues with him comming here. How can he get a permanent resident status in canada?? If we get married here or in the USA how would i go abouts applying for him to be able to live in Canada legally?

Not sure what you mean by "having issues" with him coming here, but if those issues are legal issues in regards to him being eligible to enter Canada, then he may not qualify for Permanent Resident's status.

All official information about the various ways of spousal applications for PR status can be found at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 11,933 times
Hi I am engineer with valid work permit. Me & my boyfriend (Albertan) wanted to get married. What are the process and the paper work for leagal marriage and do i have to return to my country before my paper work get approve? thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM

I don't think there is an reason you can't legally marry so long as you observe the niceties of Alberta marriage law like a licence etc.

Once you're married you can initiate an application for Permanent Resident's status.

The question about you being able to remain on Canada while that application is reviewed is a little trickier. I would think you could stay in Canada so long as your work visa is valid, and you may, depending on your country of citizenship, be able to stay in Canada as a visitor if your work visa expires.

The best qualified people to answer this last question are the advisors at Citizenship and Immigration Canada. You can contact them through a toll-free telephone number available under the Contact Us section of this web site.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,941,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moly View Post
Hi I am engineer with valid work permit. Me & my boyfriend (Albertan) wanted to get married. What are the process and the paper work for leagal marriage and do i have to return to my country before my paper work get approve? thanks.
Marriage laws vary according to the province you are getting married in. Your fiance is an Albertan - are you getting married in Alberta? If so, Service Alberta: Marriage Licences

If not, just visit the provincial website of wherever you want to get married.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,933 times
Great! Thank you! My work permit will be expired in July 2010 and we are planning to get married in September..Do you know if i can legaly work right after married or do i have to obtain a workpermit? Cheers!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Getting married means just that: you're married.

It doesn't automatically grant you the right to legally work.

I think rather than getting information on an internet forum, you'd be better served by contacting one of the staff members at Citizenship and Immigration Canada. You'll be able to ask specific questions and receive official answers.

There is a toll-free telephone number listed on the Contact Us page at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,515 times
My Canadian fiance wants to marry me in Canada because he thinks this will entitle me to Canadian medical for the birth of out unborn child. Thats only 2 months away and I think that there is more to becoming a citizen or resident than simply marrage and fear that the processing time will take longer than the baby has to being born. Is this true or am i just parinoid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or