U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 AM

239 posts, read 121,231 times

Advertisements

In terms of cleanliness, I thought Vancouver was more or less the same as Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, and Denver (the U.S. cities I'm most familiar with). So I don't think there's any steadfast rule that Canada's major cities are always cleaner than major U.S. cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM

7,813 posts, read 5,374,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
How are US cities any dirtier than Canadian cities? I honestly don't see it... Vancouver's full of graffiti, gum and cigarette butts on the ground, trash on the ground and accumulating in the alleys if not overflowing in the garbage bags, dog crap on the sidewalks, the smell of urine in public stairwells, broken car window glass on the streets, etc. Seriously, any time I've been to a US city, like Seattle, or Portland, or LA, or San Francisco, or Boston, or New York... I never looked around and throught, "Oh wow - the dirt! The filth!" It was no dirtier than anywhere in Canada.

So I'm curious... is it that Americans come to Canada with rose-tinted glasses, or am I blind and US cities are filthier than I'm giving them credit for.
I agree...

I never thought Montreal was particularly clean: garbage on the streets, bums, urine smells in alleys, graffiti everywhere. I love the place, but would never call it "clean." I fail to see how Miami is any dirtier.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM

239 posts, read 121,231 times
Um, I just realized I bumped a 9-year old thread. haha.

I guess I should check the dates before posting in topics that pop up under Similar Threads.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,202,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Um, I just realized I bumped a 9-year old thread. haha.

I guess I should check the dates before posting in topics that pop up under Similar Threads.
I'll keep it going.

Switzerland has cleaner cities than any place I've ever been to with Japan just about there with them. After that, it drops off quickly.

Of the Canadian cities I've been to, Halifax was probably the cleanest, but I only spent a day there while renting a house near Lunenburg so I can't say that with certainty.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 PM

625 posts, read 1,152,246 times
It really depends. Victoria has lots of 'street activity" and USD needles are found on playgrounds ... I never encountered this in a U.S. city of similar population, but then again I haven't spent time in grittier small cities.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 PM

16,808 posts, read 9,510,087 times
I've been all over the U.S. and my opinion would be areas of many cities vary in cleanliness just as areas of Canadian cities do. Sure if you stray into areas that are "economically distressed", the priority might not be sweeping up old Starbucks cups just as you'll find Timmy cups blowing across the median of the 401.

Of late, I'm more than impressed with the cleanliness of cities in Florida. It seems the various city utilities have no shortage of manpower or resources to have crews out there constantly cleaning up trash.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM

20,647 posts, read 25,713,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree...

I never thought Montreal was particularly clean: garbage on the streets, bums, urine smells in alleys, graffiti everywhere. I love the place, but would never call it "clean." I fail to see how Miami is any dirtier.
Yeah, Montreal is not a dump but it certainly does not spring to mind either when one thinks of clean Canadian cities.

To be perfectly honest, Toronto is not as prim and proper as it once was either.

(There used to be a bigger contrast between Canada's two biggest cities.)

Old 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM

11,453 posts, read 7,875,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, Montreal is not a dump but it certainly does not spring to mind either when one thinks of clean Canadian cities.

To be perfectly honest, Toronto is not as prim and proper as it once was either.

(There used to be a bigger contrast between Canada's two biggest cities.)
Vancouver overall is pretty clean. It's not as clean as it used to be IMO. Well some parts. I find the Granville Mall section downtown to be a bit dirty. It's because of the amount of nightclubs and pubs along " the entertainment district ". The city and the owners don't seem to sweep the wide sidewalks that are littered with cigarette butts.

I also find cleanliness is sort of seasonal.

The back alley's downtown vary in cleanliness. Glad the city is now encouraging this.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:41 AM

4,672 posts, read 8,118,725 times
I feel like in the decade since this thread was created, American cities seem to have become cleaner through gentrification, and Canadian cities have become less tidy or remained the same, so that now there's a bit less of a difference between the two than there once was.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:26 PM

11,453 posts, read 7,875,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I feel like in the decade since this thread was created, American cities seem to have become cleaner through gentrification, and Canadian cities have become less tidy or remained the same, so that now there's a bit less of a difference between the two than there once was.
To a degree, but Canadian cities still don't have some of the blight that US ones have, such as no go zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada