U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,447,159 times
Reputation: 3716

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
okkkk. You are Canadian, I get it.

I am not going to deny your argument that dt vancouver is busy and dynamic, because there is no fixed definition for those adjectives (some think DT ottawa is dynamic too, some even say DT Victoria is vibrant, what can I say) but I can say about 85% of cities with similar sized cities (excluding those struggling with poverty) in this world are more busy and dynamic than Vancouver. Shown below. You compare it with cities of similar size, not villages with 6000 residents.



You only have to go out and visit those places at 9 pm on any Tuesday evening. You are well traveled and you should know. I think it is being Canadian that makes it difficult for you to admit that.
Have you read my posts??.. I essentially said that typically cities outside Canamerica are more dynamic pound for pound. I even went on in quite detail as to why and shared travel experiences. That all said to say that Vancouver is like a sea side port is silly embellishment and would fail the reasonable person test. Yes shoot me - I think Vancouver has a busy and dynamic DT core it has nothing to do with being Canadian.. Hey go to Downtown Denver or Indianapolis on a Tuesday at 9pm and compare it to DT Vancouver. Besides Botti - 90 percent of the people on City Data don't give a lick about the dynamism of cities outside the U.S and Canada so most of them are comparing our cities. Look at City v City it is for North America only... They'll argue to the end of the moon which city is more urban Seattle v Boston or Philly v Chicago - they're not really talking about Madrid vs S.F in terms of dynamism are they? You get that odd vs in the world forum but as I said 90 percent are North Americans - mainly Americans comparing their own cities.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-07-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,447,159 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I understand. There are people from the GTA who think Yonge/Eglinton looks like a big city too.
Yonge and Eglinton is an intersection - a hood in Toronto not a city. That said, the Transit development and further condo growth in that area gives it a pretty bright future indeed.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2016/07/y...or_condo_boom/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
11,395 posts, read 7,847,525 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
okkkk. You are Canadian, I get it.

I am not going to deny your argument that dt vancouver is busy and dynamic, because there is no fixed definition for those adjectives (some think DT ottawa is dynamic too, some even say DT Victoria is vibrant, what can I say) but I can say about 85% of cities with similar sized cities (excluding those struggling with poverty) in this world are more busy and dynamic than Vancouver. Shown below. You compare it with cities of similar size, not villages with 6000 residents.



You only have to go out and visit those places at 9 pm on any Tuesday evening. You are well traveled and you should know. I think it is being Canadian that makes it difficult for you to admit that.

Okkkk. You are Chinese, I get it.

Your definition of vibrant must include crammed streets, 24 hours a day rush hours, pushing and shoving onto transit, and yelling across rooms to your friends. Anything else fails, unless it's an old European Square where young kids drink, and grandmothers limp by with their shopping.



Sounds silly doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,598 posts, read 25,669,123 times
Reputation: 8114
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think the most alive places in the world you need to have a certain 'busyness' to it in order for there to be excitement and buzz. There is something about it that is just incredible. Vibrant means full of energy so a quiet place while it may be charming and interesting isn't really vibrant in my mind so yeah - you need a certain 'ped crush' (I saw that term on these forums actually I didn't make it up lol) if you will so that it matches the definition and makes a place exciting.

Certainly the world is urbanizing more and more these days for a number of reasons so ultimately I think its just a reality that cities become larger and there is more 'buzz' - busy alone or ped crush alone doesn't mean interesting either though.

Anyway this is C/D AJ and you know how the measuring stick comes out lol.. Look at the vs threads in here where people actually use stats to determine how busy intersections are in their city vs others to prove their city is more 'vibrant'. It can get pretty darn hardcore and actually silly but a lot of those people are attracted to these forums. As for me i'm fine with Toronto's DT core becoming super busy. There's enough quiet place in our country that our largest cities can have core areas that are bonkers
Still not convinced that a huge crush of people (think Times Square in mid-summer) is really attractive to that many people as an everyday living environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,447,159 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still not convinced that a huge crush of people (think Times Square in mid-summer) is really attractive to that many people as an everyday living environment.
Well let me be clear that i'm not trying to convince you of that at all. What is clear is to me is that there is a growing desire for many people of all ages/backgrounds/ethnicities to live in busier downtown cores because it is closer to where the action is. These people clearly have less aversion to ped crush than someone who prefers to live in Gatineau or Oakville for example.

Fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,598 posts, read 25,669,123 times
Reputation: 8114
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well let me be clear that i'm not trying to convince you of that at all. What is clear is to me is that there is a growing desire for many people of all ages/backgrounds/ethnicities to live in busier downtown cores because it is closer to where the action is. These people clearly have less aversion to ped crush than someone who prefers to live in Gatineau or Oakville for example.

Fair?
They're not there *for* the ped crush. But they'll deal with it in exchange for all of the other stuff a megacity offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,447,159 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They're not there *for* the ped crush. But they'll deal with it in exchange for all of the other stuff a megacity offers.
That could be fair and I didn't really say that someone would move anywhere for ped crush. I used it more as a symptom of vibrancy.. I'm sorry - did I say anyone wanted to move somewhere for just ped crush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,002,107 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Canadian cities resemble American cities but look much richer and much cleaner and tidier indeed. There are some European elements as well. It is really interesting this mixture of American and European influence. I haven't seen any real hoods yet either, in that sense Canada resembles Europe more too.
The American city model has many pluses and minuses, they look cool when everything is set up on such a grand scale with the city parks by the downtown's, its cool to be in a park and see a backdrop of skyscrapers, and again everything is just on a grand scale, a lot of room and nice views. once you are on the street however it is sort of depressing and ugly, the whole set up is just ugly and inefficient. European cities are set up nice an perfectly and its easier to get around and the infrastructure is far superior.

Canada does better because they have more residential units in their downtown's which adds to vibrancy which is nice, public transport is slightly better, its less depressing and less ugly but still sort of depressing and ugly. but yes there are positive European characteristics that can be seen in Canadian cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,598 posts, read 25,669,123 times
Reputation: 8114
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That could be fair and I didn't really say that someone would move anywhere for ped crush. I used it more as a symptom of vibrancy.. I'm sorry - did I say anyone wanted to move somewhere for just ped crush?
Perhaps not but you did make a correlation between the growth of megacities and the fact that the ped crush is a fact of life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,447,159 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Perhaps not but you did make a correlation between the growth of megacities and the fact that the ped crush is a fact of life there.
Well I don't think that is incorrect is it. I mean generally speaking the larger the city the more places in it - particularly a central core you will have more ped crush. I'm not really saying it is superior or inferior to be clear, its just a part of the reality of living in larger cities and that is ok. I hope i'm not missing something. I have nothing against people who want to live a quieter life in more spread out quarters at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top