U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 AM

18,383 posts, read 10,453,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
Although I have voted Conservative for the last four federal elections, I am not happy with the Harper government, particularly in his dictatorial style as well as his government's indifference to veterans, of which I am one. I retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in April (I didn't have a choice as I had reached the Compulsory Retirement Age of 60), and have still not received a dime of my military pension, all due to the Harper government's policy of making it as difficult as possible for military members to collect their pension and severance in an effort to present a balanced budget for the upcoming election.

I will most likely end up holding my nose and voting Liberal next year, as I feel betrayed by the party that I have supported for well over a decade. I voted for his old man in 1972 when I was barely old enough to vote, and for a couple of elections after that.
I hear you brother!

As ex-military myself, cannot remember when I've been less enamoured of a governments treatment of service personnel since Hellyer's grand experiment in silliness.

I too will be forced to consider very carefully what the rebirth of Trudeauism represents for our future and if it simply means another round of tax and spend stuff on populist movements to assuage the flower children of today, I'll be forced to endure another round of arrogance from Harpo.

Bellicosity from Canada towards Russia without the wherewithal to back any play in our north is simply brinksmanship of the worst kind.

Universal healthcare and a SMART strengthening of our military capabilities for the protection of the longest exposed shoreline in the world are my favourites. Perhaps he's astute enough to be poking at the 'bear' to force the 'bear' to reveal ultimate intent but that would purely be giving him the benefit of the doubt beyond all available evidence.

I am less overwrought about this endangered species stuff due to the world seemingly not giving a crap about whaling and dolphin hunting while screaming over Canada's baby seal slaughter after their rides from the airport in their leather interior'd limos carrying their little leather laptop cases or Brahmin purses and wearing the latest leather fashions while doing so.

Attempting to guilt trip Snowbird's with suggesting they have an impact on Manatee's? Really? Gimme a break here and take a tour of any one of those supposed bastions of "one with the animals" native reserves to watch them gill net or stream net into extinction every swimming thing within reach of their ATV'S and 150 HP outboards.

I'd be more concerned with what some politically motivated convention committee says about endangered species if I thought any ethical relevance could be placed upon their outpourings.

Meanwhile I'll just sit comfortably in my leather lounger wearing my sweater with the leather elbow patches and my slippers with the leather soles and consider which cut of beef, veal, fish or fowl species I'm having for dinner tonight.

Trudeau and Mulch-hair give up their addiction to the good life and all of it's excess's and I'll put Harper under the thumb regarding endangered species but until then I'll simply judge his performance on foreign affairs and domestic policies ie; veteran's affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:24 AM

12,587 posts, read 11,199,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
Although I have voted Conservative for the last four federal elections, I am not happy with the Harper government, particularly in his dictatorial style as well as his government's indifference to veterans, of which I am one. I retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in April (I didn't have a choice as I had reached the Compulsory Retirement Age of 60), and have still not received a dime of my military pension, all due to the Harper government's policy of making it as difficult as possible for military members to collect their pension and severance in an effort to present a balanced budget for the upcoming election.

I will most likely end up holding my nose and voting Liberal next year, as I feel betrayed by the party that I have supported for well over a decade. I voted for his old man in 1972 when I was barely old enough to vote, and for a couple of elections after that.
This really sickens me actually!! I'm sorry to hear about your predicament.. You are the last group the government should be screwing around with when it comes to entitlements..

Old 12-29-2014, 03:48 PM

498 posts, read 427,910 times
You Harper haters are going to be disappointed. Trudope has blown a 10 point lead because he's an incompetent mindless imbecile.

Federal Politics: Harper

Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
You Harper haters are going to be disappointed. Trudope has blown a 10 point lead because he's an incompetent mindless imbecile.

Federal Politics: Harper
lol its waaaaay too early to go by the polls.. Once a certain scandalous affair starts opening up take a look at em then

Old 12-29-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol its waaaaay too early to go by the polls.. Once a certain scandalous affair starts opening up take a look at em then
You mean Mac Harb? The biggest crook of them all.

RCMP allege former senator Mac Harb committed fraud - Politics - CBC News

Mac Harb to go to trial Aug. 10 on fraud, breach of trust charges

Old 12-29-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
I'm not talking about Senators - I'd do away with the whole lot of em to be honest of any political stripe blue, red, orange, pink if I had a say in the matter etc.. I'm talking about Harper and his obvious connection to the Duffy affair.. Also, did you read KingstonBob's comments and experience - I'm sorry what he is going through is disgusting!! Our Vets shouldn't have to go through that at all... Yes, yes its time for a change!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about Senators - I'd do away with the whole lot of em to be honest of any political stripe blue, red, orange, pink if I had a say in the matter etc.. I'm talking about Harper and his obvious connection to the Duffy affair.. Also, did you read KingstonBob's comments and experience - I'm sorry what he is going through is disgusting!! Our Vets shouldn't have to go through that at all... Yes, yes its time for a change!

???? Duffy was/is a senator. You mean "I'm not talking about Liberal senators". Lol Harb was the biggest crook of them all over 200 grand yet someone trying to repay the tax payers 90 grand from Duffy leads the headlines. Harb was charged then resigned so be could keep his fat pension before he is officially charged with a crime. As for veterans there is a vocal minority. The current Veterans charter was agreed to by all parties in 2005.......google is your friend.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 AM

8,616 posts, read 11,136,353 times
Quote:
I know, look at the past and the respect and support the Liberal party has given the Canadian Forces... If it wasn't for decades of mismanagement and neglect we wouldn't be in the shape we are now.

I feel strongly that KingstonBob is getting the shaft, and it's not right, but that's an ingrained problem with bureaucracy, regardless of the twits in power. There's zero reason Canadian veterans should get anything less than the best in the world.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM

18,383 posts, read 10,453,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I know, look at the past and the respect and support the Liberal party has given the Canadian Forces... If it wasn't for decades of mismanagement and neglect we wouldn't be in the shape we are now.

I feel strongly that KingstonBob is getting the shaft, and it's not right, but that's an ingrained problem with bureaucracy, regardless of the twits in power. There's zero reason Canadian veterans should get anything less than the best in the world.

^^^This!

Problem lies upon the premise of governments desire to enhance electability by being seen to address new concerns raised by a visible entity. Past give-aways aren't fashionable, so scrunching money from them to be seen to give it to new demands is the stuff of a politicians wet dream.

You can only squeeze the taxpayer for so much at a time so finding funding for something that has become popular in the eyes of the electorate has to be done without the dreaded tax increase. Pulling money out of healthcare, veterans affairs, immigration, aboriginal affairs along with all the other more obscure portfolios, is normal behaviour for your very aptly named "twits".

Old 12-31-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Oh no doubt and trust me - If Harper was a liberal i'd be wanting a changing of the guard as well.. Its been 9 years and I think we need some new blood and leadership at the top.. I'm not trying to erase history here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada